Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aldi/ lidl gear

Poster: A snowHead
Is it any good? just see no point paying £30-50 for a pair of salopettes fo a 2 y old to wear for 4 days when next year they will not fit? Whats woth looking at and whats not?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Lidl Kids helmets are brillaint - and meet decent standards. Used some of the kids thermals too. The snowboots are great too
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some (or all) of the family use the following items from Aldi/Lidl

Socks
Base layers
Mid layers
Sunglasses
Snow boots

I've spent hundreds there over the last couple of years, (but it has also probably saved hundreds too)!

Look out especially for the merino wool thermals, but they aren't always available in all the stores and won't last long if they do arrive.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How small sizes do they do? will i be able to get something to fit my little boy who will be 20 months? is it in store now? not been before
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Popped in Lidl two weeks back, and the kids snow stuff was on the shelves..............
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Socks, helmets, jackets, trousers, gloves keep my kids happy, the Aldi stuff seems marginally better than Lidl but both do the job just fine. For big people the socks are great, merino thermals just as good as stuff costing 3 or 4 times the price, mens and womans seems very similar just sized 1 different, if you are a M chap go for and L in ladies and vice versa, found this out as last year they only did a tshirt style for ladies but mine fits just fine! My soft shell trousers from the 09/10 offers are still as good as ever and the soft shell jacket from last year matches big name stuff in terms of features and performance. Lidl may have some more later in the season but as BCjohnny says the offers were a couple of weeks ago http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg//SID-3673DCCD-F2F3F05A/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=25032&idcheck=true&ar2=&id=469&country=GB&zipcode=DE5+3DL&city=Ripley&district=+&street=Chapel+Street&ar=7&nf=True (though no helmets so may be more to come) worth checking anyway as I know of branches where the kids ski stuff would be gone in a couple of hours and others where there will still be some odds and ends hanging about next easter.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 29-10-11 17:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another cheap place is Decathlon, if you have one near you. Really good value for basics
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
New Decathlon opening in Calais should you be near Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mattiwilkin wrote:
How small sizes do they do? will i be able to get something to fit my little boy who will be 20 months? is it in store now? not been before

They had stuff down to 1 year old size in Lidl offer
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Over the past few years, Mrs MA & I have bought a fair bit of skiing, biking & running gear from Aldi and have been really pleased with it.

We've mainly bought stuff for mountain biking - with kit like base layers, leggings, thermals and gloves performing and lasting really well. In fact, IMO, a lot of the kit seems to be of a similar construction and standard than brand names at 3 or 4 times the price. Each to their own of course, but who on earth (apart from Russian oligarchs and their molls) really thinks that they are getting 600 quidsworth from a jacket like this Shocked ??

http://www.snowandrock.com/killy-men's-touring-ii-jacket/ski-jackets/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/21207

Only £300 for the matching trousers?.....Oooh, go on then wink

Mind I suppose if you are out skiing in £900-worth of clobber you will soon convince yourself that it's warmer, more breathable and assisting you in feeling at one with the mountain gods Toofy Grin - even when some oil drips onto your jacket from the chairlift cable Sad .....

Anyway, there's clearly a market and demand for this sort of thing - I suppose it's the same as the M&S vs Aldi food shopping argument - "This isn't just a mushroom...It's a dawn-plucked, hand-nurtured, organically-reared, black-stemmed mushroom....." I find it all quite amusing and just don't understand the keeping up with the Beckhams designer label mentality that has come to pervade everything over recent years. But there you go, what do I know?As I say, each to their own.....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict, those prices are ridiculous. Moriarty was delighted with his £37 soft shell I bought him from Aldi last winter.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells Bells - Cheers! I was half thinking it might just be me wink !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I wore Lidl ski gloves on the summit of Mont Blanc last autumn and had Decathlon 49 euro mountaineering salopettes and fleece.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict, put it this way. He has a Spyder jacket. Plain black nothing OTT. He's permanently boiling hot when he wears it. The Aldi one was probably worn more often last winter.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I wore Lidl ski gloves on the summit of Mont Blanc last autumn

show-off... wink
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
mountainaddict, those prices are ridiculous. Moriarty was delighted with his £37 soft shell I bought him from Aldi last winter.

Yep, those softshells just keep getting better every year, my 2 or 3 year old one was still doing fine but ended up with one of last years as they were just too good to pass up when they ended up at £17.99 in one of the Aldis I use. Could have easily added a 0 to the end of the price and stuck a big name logo on it given the features and quality.
snow report
davkt, I think we'll be away skiing when the gear comes out this year. It's usually Boxing Day time I think. I'll have to give my sister a shopping list I think.
latest report
Yep if you need helping out with the Aldi stuff. Hells Bells, pm if you need any help getting what you need from Aldi, one or two round here tend to have bits of most of it hanging around for weeks, well apart from the merino in anything but extreme sizes!
latest report
davkt,
Quote:

ended up with one of last years as they were just too good to pass up

I have to agree, I got one as well, the price was just to good not to have Puzzled However when you put them up against a top end soft shell, there limitations do sort of show I am fast falling in love with my nice new bright blue softshell, I got propositioned more than once at the Ski show about the jacket, only draw back was that one of the security guards wanted to touch it everytime I went out side Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
livetoski, Yep agreed but not convinced the slight advantages of say a Spyder justifies the huge price increase!
ski holidays
davkt, agree but I would never use spyder gear even if it was free Laughing
snow conditions
livetoski, me neither, way too much of the fashion victim about it!
latest report
Agree spyder is minging. can we keep this thread going and someone post when they know the gear is coming in stock? May aswell stock up? people thinking its usually after christmas?
latest report
jocrad wrote:
Another cheap place is Decathlon, if you have one near you. Really good value for basics

It's worth noting for us up North, that there are two new ones opening in early December in Bolton and Warrington.
snow report
geepee, still not 'North' enough !!
ski holidays
saw online the decathlon stuff is we'dze i always thought it was expensive stuff when seen people wearing it skiing. everyone seemed to be wearing it in france last year
ski holidays
Bought an Aldi jacket / salopette combo for £20 about 9 years ago, binned the salopettes as they were too warm, the jacket kept me warm and dry through the worst of weathers for about 4 seasons.
snow conditions
mattiwilkin wrote:
saw online the decathlon stuff is we'dze i always thought it was expensive stuff when seen people wearing it skiing. everyone seemed to be wearing it in france last year

Probably about Lidl quality, maybe a bit behind Aldi

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 30-10-11 22:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mattiwilkin, managed to get Lidl stuff for my 22 month old boy as they had it in last week - their sizing is bit bonkers though, 12-24 months or 2-4 years so he's got 12-24 month trousers and a 2-4 jacket, should both fit in January unless he has some huge growth spurt. Seems like good kit, am sure will do for running about in the snow and hopefully not get so trashed his little brother can't use it next year! Sallopettes were £9.99 and jackets £14.99.
latest report
Cheers always might go have a look see if they have any in
ski holidays
I know i sound like a stuck record - by sportsdirect always have loads of good value ski stuff
its very often at sale prices too - salopettes end of season ( ok late jan ) - last year for our 7 year old at £7
ski jackets for a tenner

helmets are always around £15
ski holidays
My friend bought her first ski gear from Aldi, 9 years ago. She replaced it and handed it down to her daughter for her first trip when she was 17, and she is still wearing it at 22 Shocked Total cost then for jacket, salopettes, socks, thermals, hat and sunglasses was well under £100 - hasten to add that only the jacket and trousers are still going strong
ski holidays
davkt wrote:
mattiwilkin wrote:

Probably about Lidl quality, maybe a bit behind Aldi

i'd be amazed if aldi stuff was better than wedze, although personally i wouldnt wear either if i was spending any real time in the mountains Smile

wedze is a huge favorite of the french holiday maker, cheap and put together reasonbly well.
ski holidays
Aldi have kids ski helmets in at the moment.

They also have a few kids ski jackets, but as yet, no thermals!! My daughter has been wearing Aldi's thermals since she started skiing three years ago, not let us down yet. The biggest test was in Courcheval last Christmas in freezing temps. Her toes were cold - bought expensive ski thermal socks at Snow and Rock, waste of time, but her body was warm as toast - looking out for kids socks now!

Try TK Max for kids ski jackets, got a great one last year, really bright, so can see her, actually got compliments about it from Instructors and lifties in both France and Austria, surprised they even noticed!!
snow conditions
It's worth looking at Aldi motorcycle gear as well even for skiing. I think it's a bit more flexible than the ski clothing (various layers that can zip in an out as it needs to be usable all year round in the UK) and might come with the advantage of back and knee protectors. I use mine (can't quite remember if it came from Aldi or not) and it certainly saves a packet compared to having two sets.
ski holidays
Kids helmets, Not Aldi/Lidl..........

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/jr-mrz-400-red-p-id_5990864.html
ski holidays
davkt, Extreme sizes you say? That's me sorted! Laughing
snow report
geepee, do you know when the Bolton one opens? I drove past yesterday but it's still being sorted out, called in at TK Maxx hoping for some thermals, they have none in, just cheap feeling jackets at the moment
ski holidays
anotherproblem wrote:
davkt, Extreme sizes you say? That's me sorted! Laughing

Yep the XL and XS stuff seems to hang around in the Derby branches for months.
latest report
davkt, I think you'll remember, I'm no XS Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy