Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenevre lift pass

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks - hope u can help me!

Me and some friends are booked to go to Mongenevre in January with Thomas Cook and we have also booked our lift passes with them too!!

My only worry is what lift passes we have purchased?! There seems to be three choices which are Montgenevre on it's own, the Monts de Luna and then the full Milky Way pass.

I am assuming we have got the Monts de Luna pass and am i right in thinking this gives us access to Claviere?

Do u think this will be enough for us? This will be the third time we have been skiing in total.

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Monts de lune is for Montgenevre and Claviere. I think it may include one day skiing in the rest of the milky way too.

I would have thought that would be the best one to get for your holiday.

We purchased monts de lune last time we went to Montgenevre and there were plenty of runs between the two resorts (claviere/montgenevre).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That pass does indeed allow skiing in Claviere.

Whether it will be enough really depends on how much you like to ski; but the area is fair size so in my opinion it's plenty for a week's skiing. If you start to get bored you could always take a day trip to Serre Chevalier, which is very close.

My girlfriend and I loved Montgenevre/Claviere when we were there last year!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the info guys! Yeh am sure Montgenevre and Claviere will be plenty so i will double check with the travel agent that we have that pass!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shnfox, we also had a week in Montgenevre last year and had the Monts de Luna pass - skied each day in Montgenevre and over to Claviere, generally for lunch, and then back. If we had got bored then we had the car and would have driven to Serre Chevalier but that didn't happen. Hope you have a great time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Monts de Luna includes lots of skiing, going way beyond the two villages. I'm sure it will be enough. There might be a facility to buy an extension if you wanted to go further one day, but I doubt you'll need it.
Click here for Milky Way piste map: everything on the right hand side (to bottom of lift 23) would be on your lift pass.
The area is beautiful with lots of trees, and is also very good for off-piste at any standard if you want to push the boat out a bit.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I see you are going in January and you should really enjoy the resort. Great place, fantastic skiing. If anyone is going there towards the very end of the season (ie. late April) it's worth bearing in mind that the Italian resorts tend to close earlier than the French ones and therefore the Milky Way and the Monts de la Lune passes are no longer in use usually beyond mid-April. Montgenevre often stays open until early May though.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the TC/Neilson rep will have a day trip to Serre Chevailier arranged as one of his excursions to sell you, when i was there it was the Thursday, we did not take up the option as there was quite enough fo us in Montegenvre.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
its still worth checking - last year with crystal the difference between the full pass ( milky way claviere montgenevre ) was only 5 euros more than the next one down - sometimes you get 2 for 1 deals on the lift passes and it makes sence then to go for the full one.

montgenevre/ claviere pass covers a lot of ground though and it easily enough for a week

we are goinbg back 2nd Jan - might see you there
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I could be wrong but a six day pass in any of Claviere, Montgenevre, Serre Chevalier, Puy St Vincent, Les Deux Alps and Alps D'Huez can be bought as Galaxy pass entitling the holder to ski anyone of the list for a day. I put it to full use this March and only didn't ski Puy St Vincent as it wasn't attractive to me (plus no parking).

I bought the Gallaxy pass in Serre Chevailer and the receipt has a pass to exchange one day in Montgenevre and another pass for the Italian side of the Milky Way which I used to start at Cesana and ski the Sauze D'Olux. The pass worked in L2A and LDH without a fuss.

I was under the impression any 6-day pass is automatically a Galaxy pass but local SHs may have better information.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks again for the info guys! Yeh we go on Sunday 15th January for a week and cannot wait!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have rang Neilson again to see if they can clarify what lift pass we have actually purchased and all they can tell me is that it covers Montgenevre plus a day in either the Milky Way or Serre Chavalier?!?!?!

Does this mean we have a lift pass for Montgenevre only or does it automatically include Claviere?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think that means you have the
Monts de la Lune-Galaxie lift pass allow you to ski for 1 of the 6 days that the pass is valid for in Serre-Chevalier, Puy St Vincent, Les 2 Alpes, l'Alpe d'Huez or Bardonecchia (Italy) + 1 free sledge ride in Montgenèvre (not available on Saturdays nor Sundays)

if you upgrade to the
'Via Lattea/Milky Way/Voie Lactée' lift pass covering 400km of pistes is also available - you get everything

Check with your TO - as i said last year we paid 6-10 euros for the upgrade
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I dunno if i will have much luck with that cos they couldn't even confirm which lift pass i have lol!!! I think that will be enough skiing anyway to be honest!!

We get there around lunchtime on the 1st day and have read that we get 4 free hours skiing on the 1st day - did u get this?

Shane
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds as though you will have the monts de lune lift pass. I am sure your pass will include claviere as well as montgenevre. You will also have the one day skiing in other milky way resorts - we never got round to using this due to having to be back at lunch time for ski school pick up.

As far as I'm aware the local Montgenevre only lift pass can only be bought on a day by day basis so I don't think Neilson would have any available to sell.

We are going to Montgenevre later in the season and will be buying the Monts de Lune pass with 4 hours skiiing on day of arrival.
snow conditions
Oh that's brill you have just confirmed everything i thought and so can rest easy lol!!

So u think it's feasable to ski the afternoon we get there then? Do you know if we will get our lift passes on the transfer coach seeing as we have already ordered and paid for them?
latest report
With your 6 day Mont de la Lune ski pass you can ski Montgenevre and Claviere all week.

You also get the option of ONE day in EACH of the following Milky Way, Serre Chevalier, Puy St Vincent, Les Deux Alps and Alps D'Huez, Bardonnecchia.
Which means there are more resorts to ski than days of your holiday.

If you want to ski any of the resorts other than the Milky Way you need to make sure you have the paper receipt that goes with the ski pass, as you need to present it in the resort of your choice to get a complimentary ski pass. If your tour operator hasn't given you this receipt, you need to get them to notify the ski pass office of your intentions at least 2 days before you want to go (A rather poor system we have to deal with).

Serre Chevalier is the closest and of the alternatives and a GREAT day out.

If you arrive early, you can go to the lift pass office with your 6 day pass and they will give a complimentary ski pass for the first afternoon.

Have a great week
snow conditions
Thanks Volfy!
snow conditions
Shnfox - We have booked with Peak Retreats and are probably going by train + hire car so I'm afraid I don't know anything about Neilson arrangements / transfers etc.

If you were arriving on an early flight you would have to book and pay extra for early access to the apartment (if you are staying in Hameau des Airelles) and order 7 day ski/boot hire rather than 6 day (if you are not taking your own). When we last went to Montgenevre we arrived in the resort about 1pm but by the time we had access to our apartment and had sorted out children's skis etc it was too late to ski. This time we know the resort and children are older so we will hopefully get sorted sooner and ski for a couple of hours.

If you are likely to get to the resort by lunchtime on the day of arrival I'd phone Neilson and ask if they offer equipment hire for the extra four hours and whether you can book early access to the apartment.

If you are not getting there until 2/3ish or later probably not worth trying to ski on the arrival day.
latest report
We are taking our own skis and boots and probably being too optomistic thinking we can ski on the first day lol!!

So you have been before? I can't wait to go! We went to La Plagne last year on the Eurostar night ski train and so got there for breakfast and then went out skiing it was amazing but for some reason the tour operators aren't offering it anymore which is a shame!!

Yeh we're staying at Hameau des Airelles which looks really nice - have u stayed here?
ski holidays
Shnfox
Yes we have been to Montgenevre before and had a great time. We stayed in the Hameau des airelles last time and have booked it again for this year. It is very convenient for the piste and the apartments had a newish feel when we were last there (2010). The outdoor pool was nice but I gather it might now be busier as more apartments have been built at le Hameau. You can borrow fondue sets from reception for an easy meal in. Montgenevre seems to have a good snow record, varied runs and we enjoyed being able to ski over to Italy and back.

Do send me a PM if you need any more info on the apartments etc.

Trying to book skiing holidays by train can be quite frustrating but once we have got hold of the tickets we find it a relaxing way to travel. Last time we went to Montgenevre on the Artesia TGV train from Paris to Oulx which is 20 mins from Montgenevre. Now it appears Artesia will cease to exist in December but there is no info anywhere on who will be running the trains from January. We're almost frustrated enough to consider self drive but will hold out a bit longer for the trains!
ski holidays
The Eurostar was a direct train from London to Moutiers and we only had a 20min transfer it was awesome!!

We have booked a premium apartment for 5 of us with 2 bathrooms and 2 double bedrooms as well as a sofabed so looking 4wd to seeing what the apartment is like! Is it ski in/out?

It will be nice to ski somewhere which has tree lined runs as both places we have been previously (Passo Tonale and La Plagne) were side open pistes so it will be nice for something different.
ski holidays
Yes the apartments are ski in ski out (blue run).

We have taken the direct Eurostar to Moutiers/Bourg many times and its great. However we've been to most of the resorts near those stations so are on to the more complicated journeys involving changes in Paris.
snow conditions
Thanks for all ur info......greatly appreciated!!!!
ski holidays
shnfox, we stayed in these apartments last year - I had lots of really helpful information from snowymum, before we went. We enjoyed the tree lined runs, seems to be our sort of thing.
From recollection there was a useful little supermarket type shop not far from the apartments for bread etc in the mornings and we did buy other food there. Because we drove from our own place in Les Gets I took far too much with me in the way of food - and saw other families unloading masses on arrival - and then repacking their cars at the end of the week with what looked like even more.

One thing that puzzled us, well me, for a while was the internet access which you can get down in the reception and lounge areas - it is one access per apartment - which is fine once you realise that. Maybe other people realise this sort of thing but I only found out by trial and error when attempting to log on at the same time as my husband.

If we go back to Montgenevre then we would be very happy to stay there again - and the access to the slopes was just as snowymum, says.
snow report
Thanks Pamski!!!! One of the lads we're going with can't live without internet so he will be pleased lol!!!

I prefer to be cut off from the world for a week while i'm away tho!!!
snow conditions
shnfox,
Quote:

I prefer to be cut off from the world for a week while i'm away tho!!!

Yes, I can appreciate that - I use it to keep in touch with family and friends back in the UK as we are away all winter - and also have to look after any chalet bookings etc.
I remember holidays years ago before the days of internet and mobile phones - anyone that had to make contact had to queue up at public phone boxes and shovel lots of loose change into the slots. And we all survived then!
latest report
Yeh i hate people who are constantly on their phone while on holiday. Even i like my facebook but i never ever go on it whilst away!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
we stayed there in 2010 and really enjoyed it
we would come back to the apts about 330 each day to have a swim in the lovely warm pool out in the cold.
defo buy your lift pass before you go it was cheaper with Neilson than from the lift company
and if you have any in your party aged 14 they qualify for a childs rate pass, at the time the brochure said a lesser age, i got them to confirm it.
Also i bought my passes in Feb 6 weeks before our trip and for some reason got a £20 discount on my adult one, so got both passes for about £130 each. Little Angel
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy