Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for kids skiing in La Plagne - Which Pass?

Poster: A snowHead
Going to La Plagne and will have 3 kids between us.

First question - the 6 year old needs a ski pass, which one would be best?

I don't know the area at all (been to Les Arcs but prior to the Vanoise lift), so unsure how long it would take to ski from LP to Les Arcs, I'm guessing a day trip required?

The adults are getting the all area pass, and even though the 6 year old (and the 4 year olds) can ski blues (and one 4 year old has done a very easy red), and there may be a way to get to various places on blues, I'm not sure whether they would have the stamina if it would take a long time? If it wasn't too bad, it would maybe be a case of ski over, long lunch and straight back. We've skied from La Thuile to La Rosiere (not the kids though) how does this distance compare?

So my second question is - is it doable for kids this age to ski anywhere other than just what they can with a local area pass?

Would be grateful for info from people who've skied the area with kids around this age in particular.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spent a year in BSM, but the Vanoise was down, so am not that familiar with LP. However, I do know it is a plenty big area and doubt the kids need to go to LA unless you just want to have lunch on that side. I think the tix is free for 4 yo, so it is really just the 6 that would be the concern- could get a discover tix, but probably would be a struggle to do all of LA and not really necessary
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
we stayed in peisey vallandy - and the other side over the vanoise was bloody difficult for the adult beginner we took over there
dont think its doable for the kids at all - i rememver the only easy one down was a road and a bit of a rat run - i would stick to the peisy/side
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I hear the price difference isn't that great for a local vs area pass. If we're honest LP or LA individually are more than enough, it was nice to go over the Vanoise for the experience but we only did one away day in LA and we all had area passes. We had some beginners with us and they were fine getting down (if you call a beginner someone with a few weeks under them). From memory they were relatively easy blues on the route we took (this is hugely dependant where in LP you're staying as to how you get on the run to the Vanoise). The runs down to Vanoise are obviously lower, and can be icy and/or patchy if there hasn't been snow for a while. I found the lower slopes in LP were in much better nick than LA last time I was there, a few of the lower slopes in LA were closed.

You'll never ski out LP in a week, LA has some great terrian and nice views of Mont Blanc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gilly28 wrote:
Going to La Plagne and will have 3 kids between us.

First question - the 6 year old needs a ski pass, which one would be best?

I don't know the area at all (been to Les Arcs but prior to the Vanoise lift), so unsure how long it would take to ski from LP to Les Arcs, I'm guessing a day trip required?

The adults are getting the all area pass, and even though the 6 year old (and the 4 year olds) can ski blues (and one 4 year old has done a very easy red), and there may be a way to get to various places on blues, I'm not sure whether they would have the stamina if it would take a long time? If it wasn't too bad, it would maybe be a case of ski over, long lunch and straight back. We've skied from La Thuile to La Rosiere (not the kids though) how does this distance compare?

So my second question is - is it doable for kids this age to ski anywhere other than just what they can with a local area pass?

Would be grateful for info from people who've skied the area with kids around this age in particular.

Thanks.

I've been to La Plagne for the past five years and we still haven't skied all the runs. I think the local LP pass would be more than adequate for both adults and children. LP has a vast skiing area you will not be bored. Have a great time, I know you will. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The adults could by a discovery pass which includes one day in Les Arcs. If possible leave buying untill you know what the snow conditions are like over there. As it may not be worth it.
You dont say where in LP you are staying but I would suggest the trip over and back would be too much for the kids and leave to little time to really do much of LA.

Here is a link to last years rolling eyes prices (they may notice the season is aproaching and update them soon!)
http://www.la-plagne.com/en/winter/skiing/lift-passes/paradiski-discovery.html
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah you definitely won't ski out LP in a week. Might be nice to have a day over in LA as a bit of a change I guess, but definitely not essential.

Depending on where you're staying it can be fairly easy to get over to LA - the lift is down towards Montchavin, I was in BP so it was a case of getting one lift and that rope tow across the flat bit, then skiing down a blue for a bit.

Whereas if you were over in say Plagne Soleil or Plagne Centre it would be a bit more faff.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bobmcstuff,
Quote:

Whereas if you were over in say Plagne Soleil or Plagne Centre it would be a bit more faff.

Even more so from Champagny or Montalbert Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah, or Champagny I guess. You might end up getting like 5 minutes skiing in then have to come back!!

Still, if the lift queues weren't too bad you could probably get over there for a few hours if you were up for first lift and did it properly.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Next seasons prices can be found here http://www.champagny.com/images/stories/OPGP/le-ski/forfaits/GuideTarifs-2011-2012-vETE.pdf

It is only 30 euro extra for the 6 year old to buy the Paradiski full pass compared to the La Plagne area pass and lift passes for the 4 year olds will be free. However, if they are currently skiing blues and you haven't skied La Plagne before you will have more than enough to keep you entertained for the week in La Plagne. I suppose if you are staying in Montchavin or Les Coches it would be worth going for the full Paradiski pass but in most of the other villages you will be better off with the La Plagne area pass or Paradiski discovery pass.

Boredsurfing, The Paradiski season pass price is 689 euros this year, you should be able to buy it from October to 1st December according to the edenski website, but the last time I tried to login it wouldn't let me. Maybe when they say October they actualy mean mid-November.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boredsurfing, I have now remembered my login details and it looks like the season pass can now be bought online here http://www.skipass-laplagne.com/Intro.aspx
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the replies.

We have bought the passes now anyway. We got the 6 year old just the local pass (we are in Belle Plagne) and all the adults got the full area.

We thought the diff of the full area wasn't that much, and even to upgrade for a day or two would cost as much (maybe wrong) and just the faffing of it. We won't ski all of the La Plagne area I know that, but like to do a little mileage to a diff resort just for the fun of it. We also may not plan it for a certain day, so not as if we can say, right tomorrow we will go to LA so need to get to pass office to upgrade, we may just go......

Now anyone any experience of Hotel Turquoise?? What's the mezzanine rooms like? I've looked at the reports on Trip Advisor, but like to read as much as possible! Photos would be fab.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bobmcstuff wrote:
Yeah, or Champagny I guess. You might end up getting like 5 minutes skiing in then have to come back!!.

Nah you can do it from Montalbert to villaroger in a couple of hours - check the link in the sig..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The actual times achieved are here wink
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46446#1109437
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gilly28, as bobmcstuff, the key to getting across is to LA from BP is to catch the rope across. When you get to the top of the Arpette go straight ahead and you'll see a slope followed by a long, flat section. Keep to the left of the slope and run across to the rope to be pulled across to the Montchavin-Les Coches sector. Small children definitely need adult help to negotiate the rope especially for the first time. I'd leave going with small children until you know how to do it and have assessed their capabilities. Where so many go wrong is turning right just before the rope and ending up down at Route des Bauches. This is a serious mistake because although it is marked as a blue it is actually a flat road which involves some walking.....uphill Sad

Once you are over the rope go ahead or left to the crossroads at the Pierre Blanche cafe. Go straight ahead down Pierre Blanche for one of the best blues through trees you'll ever ski. When nearing the Vanoise Express you must follow Les Arcs signs or risk ending up down in Montchavin.

Coming back ski straight ahead and catch either Plan Bois in or Lac Noir above Les Cohes followed by Bijolin.

On the way out follow signs to Les Arcs. On the way back follow La Plagne.

Intermediate adults can make it from Belle Plagne to Vanoise Express in approx 40- 50 minutes.

Any other information don't hesitate to ask.
latest report
Um!

Coming at it from the other side, ie Les Arcs, I have only used the Vanoise Express twice since it has opened and I ski Les Arc for 20 or so days a year. I never bother with a paradiski pass. Paradiski is not like the 3 vallies or espace Killy, you do not keep nipping over from one resort to the other using lots of different routes but rather go to the other side for a day's excursion. I sometimes wonder how many peple buy a paradiski pass and only really use it once and then only because they feel they have to. When I ski past the lift it always appears nearly deserted

It is important (IMHO) in Les Arcs to get a full area Les Arcs lift pass. Take care not to confuse this with a paradiski pass.

Your kids will be absolutely fine with a La Plagne pass alone.

John
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy