Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's in your bag

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all
I'm just wondering what general stuff you pack in your bag and take on the slopes with you. I don't mean the specialized equipment when going off-piste and playing with avalanches. Just the type of stuff you take when spending the day going up and down marked paths.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bag?

Cash, camera, mobile phone, lippy thing, and Balisto bars (green or purple - now available in Tesco's, not just German stores) all fit in pockets. Oh and a piste map.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cash,
credit card/insurance details card all in a pocket that hopefully never gets opened,
lift pass in sleeve pocket never to be opened,
lipstick, lip stuff,
phone with contact details in of emergency service wherever we happen to be (and thank you to Snowheads for that tip, and AAA in front of it so right at the top), old pair of specs otherwise can't read the piste map, sunglasses,
piste map
small sun cream - if right weather
tea bag hand warmers - if really cold weather

But none of it in a bag - all in my pockets - anything extra - different goggles lenses, face mask, hat, appear from OHs pockets or rucksack if and when required.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 26-10-11 11:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Water, mars bars, lippy, alternative goggles (have two pairs with different lenses for different light conds), sunglasses and hat for lunchtime, camera. Wife's snoody thing, wife's goggles. Spare piste map.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AlanB1976, this thread is quite illuminating - and spawned a few other funny ones, if I remember rightly:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=50220#1181187
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Camelback, camera, spare gloves, spare layer, spare goggles, neck warmer, duck tape, leatherman, hip flask, sunnies, friends sunnies, friends water bottle, beanie, chocky, insurance details.

Piste map, credit card, E111, lippy & mobile in jacket pocket.

Hate over loading by jacket with bulky items. Been using a rucksack for so long I feel weird without it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

duck tape

lol..... fixes ANYTHING !
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AlanB1976, indeed. I've lashed a mates board to his boot when his bindings broke, and wrapped up a complete strangers blown ski boot to allow her to get down the hill. 4 beers and counting in the barter exchange system...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pedantica, hmmmm...... I should have done a search first Embarassed rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AlanB1976, don't worry about it. If everyone did a search for and added to a relevant thread before posting there would only be 5 separate threads on SH's (not counting the 8 million apres zone threads, obv).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dr John, Laughing Laughing So true!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whistle, pen-knife, goggle or sun-glass, bottle of water, camera & bottle of champagne.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In back pack: Water, gogs/sunglasses (depending on starting conditions), spare polar, camera, piste map, sun cream, hip flask, insurance info, condoms, camera, ski lock, pen, paracetamol, hat (if not wearing already), bottle opener/cork screw.

Pockets: phone, fags, lighter, wallet, lift pass, piste map.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No bag (although this will change in the future as i've finally got some avvi gear). But up to now in my pockets I have:-

-wallet (with insurance stuff in it)
-phone
-lift pass
-piste map
-compact camera if it's a nice day
-whistle
-suncream

Edit:-

forgot fags and lighter (if I'm in a smoking phase).
Also forgot reading glasses

/Edit

That's it. Goggles/glasses choice is made before setting out. No spare clothing; I believe it's good for the soul to freeze in the morning and boil in the afternoon. Hydration is provided by beer at lunchtime. I'm generally not trusted to look after the chalet key Puzzled
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lets see...
pen knife (don't leave home without it)
empty snack wrapper (eaten on first lift of the day)
water
Goggle/glasses demisting cloth
about 15 copies of the piste map (they breed in my pack)
snowboard tool
sunscreen
Video camera
spare tapes
spare batteries
remote for said video camera
battery pack for helmet cam
wiring loom for video pack to helmet cam.
Cable ties and electrical tape for running repairs
ski holidays
Spud9, [quote]
I'm generally not trusted to look after the chalet key !

Yes! we have a small keysafe outside so that taking the chalet key should not become an issue, and encourage people renting our place to use it.
ski holidays
If it's just a ski day.

Wallet
Lift Pass
Piste Map
Phone
Hip Flask (well sort of as use Leiki Hot Sticks so the booze goes in the poles).
Insurance docs
Sunglasses case (sunnies are usually worn, but just in case)
GoPro
Thermal glove liners (not because I get cold hands but just in case I drop a glove on a lift. They take up almost no space and provide enough cover to ski back and retrieve said glove)

All in the jacket so no bag.

If it's a photo day
All of the above plus backpack with 2 cameras, 2-4 lenses, lens cloth, filters, memory cards
NB: The thermal glove liners are also useful when taking photos so the hands don't get cold and can still access all the camera buttons and dials if needed.

The OH usually carries the chocolate, suncream, lip salve, and she also has the hot sticks..... Very Happy
ski holidays
I generally don't carry a bag, I just have money, phone, lipsalve, piste map and tissues in my pockets. If I take a small backpack, I might take my camera too.
snow conditions
AlanB1976,
On one day last season, just for on piste day
Spare Goggles
2 x Sunglasses
Spare Gloves
First Aid kit (Large One)
Spare Phone
Torch
Duct Tape
2 spare Mid Layers
3 water bottles
Sunscreen
Lip Stuff x 2
Business Cards Toofy Grin
A5 Ski Flyers
Neck Fleece
Pen Knife
E111
Very Large set of Insurance documents
Drug Chart
Medical records outline in French and English
Emergency Blanket
24 hrs of back up drugs
Extra Fags and spare lighter

It was my wifes first time back on skis after her transplant so I went a little over the top, just in case, the next day I did not worry quite as much.
rolling eyes
latest report
I'm staggered by how much 'stuff' people carry around with them. Are these the same people that have no floorspace in their homes and cars that isn't full of clutter? Less is more people... Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
queen bodecia, got to have something to put in the 20 or so pockets in my Marker Ski jacket..... I'm told our ski trips aren't the same without me going through every pocket to find the key/wallet (insert any other thing that I may be carrying) that I need. I'm sure we counted once and there something like 27 seperate zips on the jacket.
ski holidays
Nobody carry a rope, harscheisen, crampons, helicopter H or distress flares ?
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
AlanB1976, this thread is quite illuminating - and spawned a few other funny ones, if I remember rightly:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=50220#1181187

Hmm I might add hip flask to my list based on reading that... Would certainly help cure the hangovers in the morning!!
snow conditions
For a piste/inbounds day loads of stuff but it all goes in pockets. Most used = lippy. Most potentially valuable : werthers, phone, whistle (on zip), painkillers and duct tape.

This provides me with emergency supplies for any situation from impromptu rave to placating irate grizzlies. (Memo - must consider glowstick)
snow conditions
ansta1,
Quote:

I'm sure we counted once and there something like 27 seperate zips on the jacket.

that must be interesting when you need the toilet Little Angel
ski holidays
Jesus.

For an onpiste day - phone, money and hipflask is all that's needed.
latest report
hot chocolate
chocolate
sandwich
camera
more layers

no time for going back to the hotel to eat
snow report
clarky999,
Quote:

Jesus

you must have a pretty big backpack or is Jesus for off piste days Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
livetoski, better than any avalanche poodle NehNeh
ski holidays
^^ Just in case anyone got the impression I'm a crazy religious psycho, you can substitute that 'Jesus' for 'wow you all carry lots of stuff!' wink
snow report
Cash, sunglasses, spare goggles (for anyone's use), suncream, walkie talkie, wallet, phone, fleece, buff, that's about it, oh, a water bottle too and some sort of nut bar or small snack.
Can't quite believe I fit all that in, it's not a big bag!!
snow conditions
clarky999, Laughing

That was an exception day for me, do not usually carry that much, but on that day I would have packed a rescue helicopter and paramedic if I could have Shocked
snow report
money, lift pass, credit card, hankerchief, keys
snow report
MY GOD, im either very poorly equiped or you lot are way over the top! All i carry on me when skiing which is always on piste is, phone/camera, sunglasses, goggles, suncream, lip stuff, cash, piste map, neckwarmer, car key and maybe a very small bottle of water!!! I dont see why i would need anything else really Puzzled At the bottom of each slope is a cafe/hut/paramedic/liftie so if anything went tits up, i havent got to far to go!!!
snow report
Feel like I have to take a backpack - can't stand pockets full of stuff. I always have first aid stuff, neurofen, camera, a Sigg bottle full of water (have fallen over and broken plastic bottles before - and had water trickling down my back all day...), fags, lighter, wipe-out lens cloth/piste map, phone, spare goggles, sunglasses in bullet case, money, glucose sweets, hand warmers, lip balm, suncream, tissues and keys. Usually have a hip flask, but never swig out of it - still feel it's essential somehow.
ski holidays
Me neither - hate having pocket fulls, besides, I have a camelbak and get through about 3l of water/day when out and about. Plenty of room for a few other bits and pieces - hardly OTT.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, it's all about the gear bling Very Happy

Gun for BC USA/Canada anyone? I wanna go skiing where you need to carry a gun (Braehead? Twisted Evil )
latest report
+ ski lock
ski holidays
barry wrote:

Gun for BC USA/Canada anyone? I wanna go skiing where you need to carry a gun (Braehead? Twisted Evil )

Probably recommended for treks to the North Pole. Though I have heard of a place called Mountain High near LA where they get real gangbangers showing up with their underwear showing and glocks in the waistband.
latest report
I guess it depends where i am.

If it's a resort where it's all compact which i know well and i can pop back to the hotel if the weather changes and for lunch i guess just cash, lift pass, lip and sunscreen, phone.

This year I'm heading to banff, so up to an hour and a bit on the bus, so might carry a backpack with spare/extra layers, buff, spare goggles, board tool etc.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy