Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas Fee

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Thanks to your wise advice, won't be heading to Engelberg in late Nov, and the other suggestions were only open weekends, so now I am thinking.. what about Saas fee? It means a bit longer on the train, but looks open from what I can see. Any good for beginners? I'm taking my son, and he needs really easy slopes, but is happy to go up and down the same one, so doesn't need loads of variety!!

Thanks for the help
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
munchimo: After a couple of previous visits, we skied the Saas Fee Glacier with complete beginners one autumn a few years ago. The beginners comprised four adults in their forties and four kids between about 7 and 11.

We had regarded the glacier (like most glaciers) as very gentle - but our group of beginners (none of whom had been on skis before) found it all a bit difficult. There was no natural beginners area so their instructors (family members who were with us) ended up teaching them outside the top station on a flattish bit of terrain. That was ok - but after that there was nowhere for them to go - access to the main glacier area from there is very steep for novices.

Anyway, we finally got them all onto the glacier - to find that the adults refused to try and ride the drag lifts. The kids did so easily. Problem was that you have to ride drag lifts to the top of the glacier to get the lift back down to the village.....

The result? We had to beg the ski patrol to evacuate the party from the glacier by piste basher - luckily they obliged.

The moral of the story? Saas Fee glacier isn't really suitable for total beginners - at least those who can't or won't ride drag lifts...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mountainaddict, Having been on the Saas Fee glacier in only my second week of skiing (don't ask! Laughing ) I'd agree with you about the access to the main glacier area and the drag lifts not being helpful to novices Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh dear, that sounds like an adventure! He is actually ok on drag lifts, I just want easy slopes - otherwise he has no fear and just goes zooming down!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
By late November Saas-Fee should be open at least down to the mid-station of Morenia, even if the nursery slopes in the village are not yet open.

If open to Morenia you can take the cable car up to Felskinn (Alpin Express or Felskinn lift) and walk through the tunnel (bear right at the entrance to the Metro-Alpin) and there is a track which curves around until it joins the main slope down from the glacier. You can choose from a couple of possibilities, but essentially there are blue runs back down to the cable car at Morenia. You can repeat this for as long as you want and it involves no T-bars and no unmanageable slopes (although the last few metres are a little steeper).

However, the glacier is not suitable for beginners from the top station and there is no real alternative to the area between Felskinn and Morenia which could be rather limiting.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Derek Jackson, That's interesting to hear about November, I've only been to Saas Fee in August and February.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I just want easy slopes - otherwise he has no fear and just goes zooming down!

sounds like he needs lesson! My niece's son is like that - last year, on his first ski holiday on snow, he broke his leg on day 1. He had had some lessons on a dry slope, and thought he knew it all. We weren't here - my niece and her family and friends borrowed our apartment for half term. My advice to put him on skis no higher than his chest, and to get him straight into lessons, went unheeded. Evil or Very Mad They are coming out again at Christmas, but this time have promised that he will go into lessons, use shorter skis and learn how to control his speed properly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy