Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort wobbles for family of mixed inability

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Am having wobbles about this year's holiday and where to book.

We are:

a nervous intermediate (me [was OK on narrow reds and managed to bodge down blacks several years ago at La Thuile but completely lost it when I tried on a dry slope recently])
a far better than she will admit intermediate who annoyingly never falls over (Mrs - can ski blacks easily but can't be bothered)
snowploughing 11 year old with legs of steel and nerves to match
very nervous (let's face it, she's a wuss, but she has been unwell, bless her) 8 year old who didn't do well 4 years ago with ESF in LDA.

Going last Sat in Jan (28th)

I was going to go for Alpe D'Huez on account of the nice long green near the resort, but I am having second thoughts, given the little one did not do well with ESF last time (she was only 4-5 years old) and given that the ski schools do not appear to be "native" English speaking (I could prob get by with French lessons, but kids wouldn't).

Any suggestions? Les Gets has been recommended but looks a bit low [must stop no snow paranoia].

We skied in Andorra pre-kids and the ski school was excellent (antipodeans get everywhere, don't they?)

Any type of accommodation considered. Spending about £1000 per person (to include accomm., meals, ski school, ski hire, pass) exc. beer money.

Not fussed about apres ski, because too knackered.

Cheers

Dobby
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dobby, Les Gets would be ideal wink

For lessons book with LGS (British guys, excellent reputation), BASS (ditto) or 360 International (local school whose instructors speak good English). We've had loads of lessons with 360, right from the start, groups, private, kids, adults etc etc no problems. LGS are more expensive but very good (we've had a private lesson with them and have booked another for Christmas Very Happy )
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dobby, Simon Butler Skiing in Megève might suit you. They offer group lessons (5 x 2-2.5 hour sessions) as part of their standard package. All the instructors are native English speakers and everyone is carefully graded. Lessons are generally in the morning and then you're all dropped off in the same place to go find some lunch (plenty of options, of course, including packed lunch). They have two hotels in town, one fairly basic but very friendly atmosphere and one more upmarket. There's plenty of terrain in Megève to keep everyone of the types you describe occupied. It's a very sociable holiday, because you're eating/drinking with others from your groups, including the instructors, in the evening.

I've been about 30 times, so obviously I like it. wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I took my daughters to adh on their first ski holiday aged 8. It was great. The ski school was fine, with an english speaking instructor. The resort is good for mixed ability groups. Easy around the resort and harder higher up. Simple to have lunch in resort. Stick with adh.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

the ski schools do not appear to be "native" English speaking

dobby, Alpe d'Huez has its own British-run ski-school called "Masterclass", run by a couple of British ski instructors website http://www.masterclass.f9.co.uk/
I would have though this resort to be ideal for your requirements. (Try Austria next year!)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Try Skivo2 - run by Dave Beatie - Based in Courchevel, I've been skiing with him and his company for years now. The package is a chalet deal with all the usual stuff thrown in, but in addition they throw in free ski instruction and they have their own ski and boot hire room. Very "easy" holiday because its all done by them. They run transfers from Geneva, Chambery and Moutiers as well.
The team of instructors are top class, I haven't skied with better skiers. Brilliant with children as well.
http://www.skivo2.co.uk/ is the website Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Montgenevre has a good range of slopes for a mixed group and can recommend Apeak for lessons - we have booked lessons for our sons for 2 years there and not been disappointed.

Can also recommend Gavin in Serre Chevalier - now with the New Generation ski school. Serre Che has lots to recommend it and again will suit a mixed group - there's also a range of stuff to do off the slopes.

We like Les Gets too - but I can't recommend any ski schools there and it is low (we would only go very last minute when sure of the conditions)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dobby, try la tania/courchevel lots of good ski schools in the area and fantastic wide runs
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We've been to Les Gets 4 times at various times of the year and have never ever been unlucky with the snow (maybe slightly unlucky last year - went just after New Year and it was ridiculously warm but we managed to ski every day with the exception of the last day). My kids and their friends have all learnt to ski with ESF there and we have found them to be fantastic. My eldest has even had the same instructor 3 times which has been great! Hope he isn't disappointed this year. We are off again for New Year this year and really can't fault it, it makes it so much easier when you know what you are doing and where you are going especially when you have got children to think about. I never get bored of the skiing and we always only get the Les Gets/Morzine pass, we've just managed to get a 20% reduction on the ski passes as well.

Happy booking!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dobby, +1 for Les Gets. Lots of nice, beginner- and intermediate- friendly terrain. Good choice of local ski schools with some great teachers.

The Family Ski Company and Ski Famillie might fit the bill.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy