Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

D is for Doppelmayr

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Removed

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 20-03-09 12:13; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do they have a test track?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, the wallabies have various trees and climbing frames.

Oh, the ski lifts! Sorry, Alan. I don't remember seeing the test facilities, but I do recall that at that time there was considerable concern about the clamps on detachable chairlifts (which are now substantial pieces of fail-safe engineering). There had been failures on a number of lifts before my visit, with chairs slipping down cables, though I can't remember which makes were involved.

What I do recall was an astonishing video Doppelmayr showed me of a quad chairlift (empty) in a violent storm, where the chairs seemed to be spinning around the cable - they were either doing that or the entire cable and clamped chairs were spinning.

Scotland is a good 'test track' for chairlifts, and lifts in general. The gondola installation on Nevis Range (built by Doppelmayr) had a cabin blown off the cable just after it opened, and the quad chairlift up there was blown off its pylons not long after that.

On Cairngorm they used to lash the White Lady chairlift cables with extra cables to ground anchors to stop them blowing off.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmm, maybe skins and touring bindings aren't such a bad idea after all.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Actually, the risk of being killed on a mountain is probably 50 times greater going down it than going up it. I've probably raised an unwarranted scare about ski lift safety - when you think about it, the engineering and safety is impressive, bearing in mind the very harsh operating environment. I've a feeling the extraordinary gondola incident on Nevis Range happened before the lift opened to the public - it was certainly empty!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

an enclosure of these charming Australian marsupials

In Garmisch there's a big American army recreational base.
I knew a British ski instructor who taught skiing to the GI's in the Winter and did white water rafting trips with them in the Summer. He told me that one of these trips took them down a river into Austria and that almost every time he announced their crossing of the border, at least one of the soldiers would begin looking around in the hope of seeing a kangaroo rolling eyes

So it appears they weren't as far away as he thought!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, I'm sure that it's much more than fifty time greater. Probably of the order of a couple of thousand, I would have thought.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy