Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where has the overnight Sleeper TGV gone?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
I'm new to the site but wondered if anyone could shed some light? Trying to book an overnight sleeper train from Paris to Bourg St Maurice and they all seemed to have disappeared! Does anyone know if they are still running? I called Rail Europe and they said they haven't been given the new timetable yet! Does that sound right? We are traveling on 13th Jan 2012 so they should be on sale now.
Thanks
Miss daisy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Missdaisy, There are several of us booked and travelling from Paris to BSM for the PSB on the 25th November but there isn't a return train from BSM to Paris the following week due to engineering works. There is a possibility that it may still run but nothing yet. It may be that they haven't released the new timetable until they are sure about the engineering works.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Missdaisy, I've just checked and there is a scheduled train from Paris to BSM on 2nd December, so maybe it is just that the new timetable hasn't been released.

Edit: There's also one on the 9th December but not on the 16th,so I guess the timetable must change somewhere between.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

We are traveling on 13th Jan 2012 so they should be on sale now.

no, I'm not a big expert on train travel but they do only release timetables very late - it's not like flights. We are waiting to book tickets for son coming up from Italy at Christmas.

If the wretched railways could only get their act together they'd be a good alternative to flying - but right now, it's a nuisance. We had the same problem last year, and couldn't confirm train times up from Genoa - milan - Geneva till fairly late on, and as we were organising some complicated logistics, meeting a host of flights as well as the train, with bad weather around, it was a pain.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you for that Geepee,
I'll keep checking the site to see if new times become available, really don't fancy Eurostar but really wanted to travel overnight so we got an extra 2 days on the slopes Very Happy Might end up having to travel during the day instead Sad
Thanks again
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Pam,
Wished I'd known that before I booked the private chalet. Didn't think the overnight train would be a problem just had to wait to book it 3 months before travel according to Rail Europe when I enquired earlier in the year. Oh well, fingers crossed the timetable goes in our favor Very Happy the kids were looking forward to an overnight adventure on the train.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Missdaisy, Hi everything you need to know about train travel can be found at the Man in Seat 61, its not a joke, http://www.seat61.com/Europe-train-travel.htm
the link will take you straight to the European section.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:

no, I'm not a big expert on train travel but they do only release timetables very late - it's not like flights. We are waiting to book tickets for son coming up from Italy at Christmas.

One problem is the current rail privatization. From jan 2012 non SNCF companies will be able to offer services in France. Principal amongst them are the Italians who will be using the same tracks as the ski trains. This is causing the RFF (French Railtrack) a major scheduling headache.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Missdaisy, I've had this once in the past -- being told "they may run the train", and they did... Just one data point, but if you were planning to hold on anyway, it may be some comfort Smile

Also, always look at tgv-europe.com as well as rail-europe, as you sometimes get slightly different info (and often better prices).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Missdaisy, As far as I know you can only currently book until 12th January 2012. If you sign up with Rail Europe they will let you know when the next lot of tickets become available.
If I receive an email from them with the next release date I will add it to my previous thread about the snowtrain http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=80323&highlight=
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you everyone for your help, looks like I might have to just wait a little longer and see if anything changes.
Radar- thanks for the website, will look into it and see what I can find. Had seen this before but was obviously looking in the wrong place Very Happy
Awf- thanks, gives me a little comfort
Skichampcouk- I had signed up previously and got an email saying I could now book for those dates hence why I was a little concerned they weren't showing the overnight trains rolling eyes
If anyone hears of any updates on the rail network keep me in mind, am traveling (hopefully) overnight on 13th Jan 2012 Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've tried to book trains but the problem at peak times is (i) all the seats seem to sell out within minutes of being released, and (ii) they are released so late that if you wait that long, and are unsuccessful, all the flights are full as well. I agree with pam w, if the train operators could get it together, they would be a viable alternative to flying, but it's a big "if".
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Missdaisy, Have you had a look at www.sncf.fr , tickets are available to book from Paris to Bourg going out on 13th January but only during the day, returning the following week. An overnight train is available the next day (14th) and an overnight train for the return journey is available the following Friday but not the following Saturday.
I suppose they could either be fully booked or not yet released, who knows with the rail companies.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Has anyone travelled on the overnight train to BSM on the Friday before half term starts. If so how much more expensive where the tickets than duirng the day?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Missdaisy, I am surprised you are not being driven there!
latest report
He he, will have to make do with my own little couchette if they are running the day we need it Laughing Much comfier than sleeping in the back of a car.
snow report
Missdaisy, I love proper sleepers on trains. Why people pay "First Class" prices and have to sit up all night, beats me. A sleeper always seems like an adventure.
ski holidays
Missdaisy, I'm in the group with geepee, who have our fingers crossed for the overnight train from Bourg-Paris that still hasn't been released in early December. I suggest that you keep an eye on the SNCF site, don't bother with Rail Europe. It sounds like they may never sell those tickets. Have a look at Rail Europe's discussion board here: http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=9546951445&topic=14486 or their FAQ on "Why am I unable to book my French Journey?" here http://www.raileurope.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=2291

In particular:
Quote:
The engineering works mean, the timetable for some routes, for some parts of the day, may not be released 90 days in advance. In some exceptional cases, the confirmed timetable may not even be released until 7 days prior to departure. ... Trains affected by this rescheduling will not appear online, and will not be available to book via any Rail Europe channel.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy