Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler Area snow-El Nino and likely snow this season??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

apologies if this is covered elsewhere in this forum.

I was wondering what is the long term forecast for Whistler this year???

I seem to remember that it is very driven by El nino factors and hence is a lot more predictable than most areas for long term likely snow conditions. For instance, winter olympics year was predicted correctly as likely to be crap and last year as very good, etc. Anyone have any idea about this year?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think La Nina is in place this year, but not as strong as last year.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Coldest winter in twenty years is predicted. Combined with possible extra precip from El Nino = snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can confirm that there will indeed be snow in whistler this year snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Firstly, it is a La Nina year, for the second time in a row and only about the 7th in the last 40 years or so. Not as strong as last season but no doubt we are in for a good one Smile
Secondly, the Olympics year was a GREAT year - we had PLENTY of snow. It was Cypress Mountain near Vancouver, host of the moguls / bordercross etc that had NO snow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
wbsr wrote:
Firstly, it is a La Nina year, for the second time in a row and only about the 7th in the last 40 years or so. Not as strong as last season but no doubt we are in for a good one Smile
Secondly, the Olympics year was a GREAT year - we had PLENTY of snow. It was Cypress Mountain near Vancouver, host of the moguls / bordercross etc that had NO snow.

It did a lot of damage to Whistler as they never quite got across to the masses that Cypress Mountain is 2hours away from Whistler. If anything Whistler had too much snow for the Olympics as events we rescheduled due poor vis or wrong snow on the courses.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just remembered - we had way too much snow for the downhill events - the groomers were actually pushing snow OFF the runs in order to maintain the steepness required
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was there at ThxGiving and La Nina was doing her thing already. Seems to have departed to Australia to flood east cost, but I suspect she'll be back before Xmas Wink

Some photos on my blog at http://gortonator.wordpress.com/2011/12/08/the-usual-thanksgiving-2011-at-whistler/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't want to jinx it but La Nina looks to be sending down some good snow in Whistler just now. Any locals care to confirm how good it is out there just now? We'll be on Whistler mountain in exactly two weeks so hoping it stays good for then Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had a chat to my mate on skype who is working as a lifty in whistler and he said its been a great season. They had 107cm in the last 7 days and more to come this week. Have a listen to the snow report on their website
http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/weather/snowreport/index.htm.
Im also going in two weeks and its torture seeing how much they have had and not knowing if we are going to get much fresh pow. Ive tried to find a long reach forecast but it only shows up-to the week beginning 19th march where it shows sunshine for that week.
He says March is normally and a good month and they reckon its going to be one of the longest seasons ever. I think there will be enough there for us! Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fingers crossed the snow keeps coming! Happy Don't want it to stop just as we arrive but you do have to be prepared for everything in Whistler. Cementimetres one day, powder the next. Who knows?! Can't wait. Your friend is right doylep. Generally speaking early March has more precipitation and also it's usually a bit drier in February. Have a great time!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
According to wbsr it's been puking this weekend.

Just the job: I arrive next Saturday snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Acacia have a great time! How long are you there for and are you doing a Murray Camp?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geetee,

I'll be there for a couple of weeks: my plan is to do Murray Camp on 19th-21st
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Has anyone done the backcountry catskiing with Powder Mountain?
latest report
doylep, I've been out there for a few weeks this season and would suggest that, aside from the last few weeks, it hasn't been a great season by any standards. Early season (when Europe was bare) was awesome, then it stopped snowing until my last trip (went out 16th Feb), since when it's got progressively better. I think the base is still quite thin compared to last year. That said you are spot on re: March - it's traditionally a good month for snow.
ski holidays
Acacia Please put some updates on while you're there if you get a chance. Happy There's been more snow this week so it's looking great.
latest report
Whistler Blackcomb has surpassed its average annual snowfall.

See http://www.facebook.com/messages/552502077#!/media/set/?set=a.10150633169773402.403292.11092928401&type=1 for photos

"Another 25 cm, of snow fell last night bringing our total cumulative snowfall this season to 1066 cm, and surpassing our annual average of 1042 cm. It is going to be an amazing weekend in Whistler!"

Looking good for Acacia and anyone else there next week. Happy
latest report
geetee, it has and that's great and it looks like there is more on the way, but that's a pretty cleverly phrased press release.

Here it is in chart format.

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/weather/stats/index.htm

So that makes it all of 2% above average for the time of year. Which is... well... kind of average plus or minus...

But the more important bit is that there is recent snowfall! Hope you enjoy it.
snow report
nozawaonsen OK, only just but it's still is better than average with more snow in the forecast for the next 5 days. And I know that WB like to put a positive spin on things but we ARE only halfway through March and if it keeps giving like it does then it should be better than average for the season so far even if it's only by a bit.

They've had 185cm(!) over the last 7 days and the average for March is not far off at 217cm. I wasn't paying attention to the week before last so don't know what the figures are for then. So far it's on a par when I went for the season in 05/06 and I thought that was a great one.

Can't wait to get there!
latest report
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed"

(Gandhi - who was a very keen skiier as we all know)
latest report
geetee, well it is better than average for the season so far in terms of overall snowfall. By 2%. and looking at that chart 05/06 was pretty much average. Average for Whistler is good!
snow conditions
geetee,

I will definitely provide regular updates. Watch this space.............................

The forecast for the next few days is encouraging, with freezing levels down to the village and heavy snow forecast for Tuesday (but also high winds). Let's hope once the storm cycle moves through we'll get some bluebird days.
latest report
Well, here we are then. Arrived at about midnight on Saturday night and up the hill this morning for my first day on skis this year.

Conditions are good. There's piles of snow down in the village, and the roads had a light dusting this morning. The groomed trails are firm ("packed powder" as the snow reports have it) with an inch or two of fresh along the edges.

Today's been all about taking it easy: no point in going too hard too soon, with another couple of weeks to go! - So today was spending the first part of the morning on the Blackcomb groomers before heading up to the Glacier for the real thing.

Visibility has been in-and-out, but not dense fog or white-out (i.e. good, for Whistler), and the trip into the glacier coincided with the sun breaking through to produce run-of-the-day conditions. Heavily tracked powder underfoot, but still very nice snow.

After lunch the weather closed in and its been snowing more heavily. Unfortunately so did the visibility, so I cancelled the planned afternoon on 7th Heaven and called it a day at about 2.30 (while the legs still had enough life in them).

Firm snow all the way down to the base, and no spring slush in sight.

Expecting some sunshine tomorrow before Tuesday's forecast dump. geetee, it'll all be waiting for you when you get here.
snow report
and heres the alternative "I was quite pleased with myself (and Sian and Dave) today for finding the goods" report for geetee...

Warmed up with a couple of laps on Seppos (Snow is so deep at the top the lift smacks you on the head if you're not careful snowHead )
Dave couldn't be ar$ed this morning as the footie was on rolling eyes , so Stan and I did a quick powder tour.
Sun bowl was sunny and v.nice.
Down to sympathy via the trees towards the end of burnt stew trail - loads of nice deep fluffy snow...
Quick trek up flute, skied the nose - untracked deep and light freshies. mmmm...
(Had to go and find Dave)
VD trees twice. Whistler bowl was a bit invisible and made Lifties Leap a bit more exciting, VD trees were great
Christmas trees via whistler bowl and west cirque - snow was good but no vis. Christmas trees fairly good (getting picky at this stage - someone else had inconsiderately skied there before us!!)
Millionaire ridge down to Big Timber - outstanding snowHead

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 19-03-12 16:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Acacia, stuarth,

Thanks for the updates, out on Saturday so great to hear what it is like from snowHead out there now. Keep the reports coming!
snow report
Thanks for the update Acacia and stuarth Good to hear that the freezing level is staying low and let's hope it stays that way!! Sounds like you had the perfect first day Acacia - great skiing but didn't overdo it before you start Murray Camp. It's shaping up to be a great one.

stuarth wrote:
Warmed up with a couple of laps on Seppos

No change there then rolling eyes Laughing

stuarth wrote:
(Snow is so deep at the top the lift smacks you on the head if you're not careful snowHead )

Oooh, I see a comedy moment coming on - I'm bound to forget and get clanged.

stuarth wrote:
Christmas trees via whistler bowl and west cirque - snow was good but no vis. Christmas trees fairly good (getting picky at this stage - someone else had inconsiderately skied there before us!!)

Very inconsiderate!!!

stuarth wrote:
Millionaire ridge down to Big Timber - outstanding snowHead

Followed by refreshments at Dusty's?

Keep the reports coming please! I want camp news too Acacia - you know, what coach you've got this week, what run he/she tried to kill/lose you on etc Happy

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 19-03-12 19:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
geetee wrote:

stuarth wrote:
Warmed up with a couple of laps on Seppos

No change there then rolling eyes Laughing

NehNeh
Seppos was a trip into the "unknown" for me first thing in the morning - must have turned the wrong way as it's usually the Garbo lift line wink

geetee wrote:

Followed by refreshments at Dusty's?

Unfortunately not, have to drive home these days (well Sunday at least) Sad

Though last weekend LittleH wanted to spend the morning ripping up the pow and doing jumps, then wanted to go to Dusty's - got him well trained already wink Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stuarth wrote:
Unfortunately not, have to drive home these days (well Sunday at least)

Good point.

stuarth wrote:
Though last weekend LittleH wanted to spend the morning ripping up the pow and doing jumps, then wanted to go to Dusty's - got him well trained already

Aw bless - a mini stuarth!! Very Happy little geetee loves the bumps - just hoping she can still cope with her new longer skis!!
ski holidays
geetee,

Actually there was an error in my earlier post - I'm not doing Murray camp until NEXT week (need to get the ski-legs worked up this week to survive).

15cm of fresh on Blackcomb this morning (if you knew where to look - no access to the glaciers or 7th Heaven due to high winds), but this pretty quickly got tracked out (some of it by me) Very Happy

Unlike stuarth, we did get down to Dusty's yesterday for much deserved refreshment after a run down Peak to Creek.

Forecast looking brighter for the rest of this week....................
ski holidays
Thanks for the update.

Acacia wrote:

Actually there was an error in my earlier post - I'm not doing Murray camp until NEXT week (need to get the ski-legs worked up this week to survive).

Cool! We'll look out for you then as we'll probably do a camp next week too. Happy

Acacia wrote:
15cm of fresh on Blackcomb this morning (if you knew where to look - no access to the glaciers or 7th Heaven due to high winds), but this pretty quickly got tracked out (some of it by me) Very Happy

Nice!!!

Acacia wrote:
Unlike stuarth, we did get down to Dusty's yesterday for much deserved refreshment after a run down Peak to Creek.

Definitely one on my agenda Happy
ski holidays
Acacia,
Looks like your weather order has come in Very Happy
A beautiful morning in Vancouver; cold, but blue skies and snowy n. shore mountains Cool
I think this week may be the last proper winter week though (and no skiing for us this weekend )
snow report
stuarth, Temps look like they're going up rolling eyes
snow conditions
stuarth,

I'm a well-known snow magnet: even back in the pineapple express year (2005), the snow arrived at the same time as I did.

geetee,

But further snow forecast for Monday: could be a powder camp.

Bloody cold yesterday morning, but the snow in great nick.
latest report
Acacia, that would be excellent, fingers crossed!!! Is the snow still good all the way to the village?
snow report
Yes it is - albeit slightly slushy at the very bottom at end of day. Off piste all but tracked out but groomers in great nick (Franz's, Ridge Runner + Dave Murray pick of the list this week). Still managed to find some nice snow in the gladed runs in Symphony this AM. Forecast calls for snow to return on Monday with rising freezing levels.
ski holidays
0 sleeps - will be on the hill tomorrow! Happy
snow report
Hope you ednjoyed your first day, geetee.

Sunshine and spring snow: what's not to like?
ski holidays
Acacia, It was soooo warm today - had too many layers on. Happy We didn't get up there until well after 11am and hung around the Olympic chair with some friends while they found their ski legs. Lunch at the Chic Pea followed by a leisurely ski down and then a beer at the GLC. Lovely day, not too taxing. The only downside was that a bit broke off the toe piece of the binding on my new skis - first day on them and I was a bit like Bambi but I think they'll be fine. I'm so used to my K2s. Looks like we'll get a few flurries tomorrow. See you at Pikas
latest report
^^^^ that was actually me, by the way. I didn't realise that the other half was signed on! Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy