Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave for New Years - too early in the season???

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

A friend and I are considering a first trip to La Grave at New Years this year. I was wondering is this a little too early to be going there? I understand that it is very snow dependent, with a lot of crevasses and snow bridges to build up, so ideally should we go at a later time??? or should conditions be ok at new Years?

I'd really appreciate the views of those who know La Grave.

thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snow coverage isn't an issue more so is the chance of high winds which close the Gondolla relatively often. You have easy access to L2A if this is the case though. I'm planning to be there 1st or 2nd week of Jan. I went for the first time 2 years ago and it was an eye openner to say the least..... It's like anywhere else really for Jan you can get cold, dry spells, high winds. The traverse to the mid station at 1800m under icy conditions has a rep of being an energy sapping killer. Not an issue with good cover though.

You need to be fit and go without an ego. On going the guide said something like this "It doesn’t matter how good you think you are this mountain will kick your @rse if you don’t have your wits about you."

I shall dig out a link to You Tube with a video of myself and group.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
probably better to give it a little more time for the snowpack to build up
you can ski a lot of La Grave without venturing onto heavily crevassed areas but there are plenty of rocks which need covering up for the sake of your ski bases
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you go in January the link with 2Alpes in unlikely to be open and you will have to pay to ski over there. (This may or may not be a consideration for you.) The reason the link doesn't open until that time is that they wait until there's enough snow over the top to support both skiers and snowcat, so I don't imagine you'd be well advised to try hiking over before then if you don't want to fall into a big hole.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd consider mid-late Jan onwards if I cared about my skis or was easily unbalanced by rocks and/or roots on traverses.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Grizwald wrote:
Snow coverage isn't an issue more so is the chance of high winds which close the Gondolla relatively often.

High winds can effect you anytime of the year. Snow coverage is an issue.

The bottom line is the fun stuff is not ready to be skied at NY unless you have an exceptional start to the season.

Sure, there is still lots of great skiing but the good lines won't go yet.

Personally, I'd be looking at Feb onwards to make the most of it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Folks,

thanks for all replies. I think on balance I'll chance it for 3-4 days over NY as I'll have 2 weeks then and can spend the rest of the time in Argentiere, so even if we get high winds, whiteouts and/or poor snow coverage its not the end of the world. What I want to avoid is going to a vallee blanche type mountain which needs a fair bit of early season snow to make it anyway skiable, but it doesn't sound nearly as bad as that. Grizwald if you can post a link to that video - great. If anyone would suggest particular itineries in La Grave (to ask the guide to bring us to) that would be tres cool too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

If anyone would suggest particular itineries in La Grave (to ask the guide to bring us to) that would be tres cool too.

No harm in getting ideas (and there is a book too, available on a few ski and/or book websites), but one of the main benefits of hiring a guide is that they will know the best places to go based on your skills and the current conditions. That said, I'm also interested in hearing about any highlights of the area, I'm thinking of going there in early March Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
horgand, if you have a local guide, they will find fun stuff for you to do. La Voute is a classic but needs decent amount of snow all the way to the bottom.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
horgand, Be prepared if conditions are particuarly boney to go to AdH, L2A or Serre Che. Any decent guide should be honest enough with you as to whether its worth skiing LG or not.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Without doubt Feb-April is best time of year to visit La Grave.

Early Jan depends on the snow...
I have skied in la Grave a couple of times then.
The Village will be really quiet and still in permanent shade.
The Glacier tow and L2A connection will probably be shut.
However you might score some really good snow or tree skiing under the telepherique with no one else there.

A local guide will be able to sniff out something worthy for you.
Serre Che is not a bad second option if its not happening for what ever reason.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.powdermag.com/mantle/ptors-spacebook-kind-of-blue/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The resort is officially supposed to open on 17th December since it doesn't have enough snow till then for its rocky slopes and couloirs.
I'm assuming you are already a fairly experienced off-piste skier or you wouldn't be going to La Grave.
I don't know if any of the long couloirs down to the road downstream of La Grave will be open but I hope for your sake they are.
I think it is better to let the guide judge what you are up to. There is some stuff too hard for me and 99% of the people who ski there and also stuff a mid intermediate can do, in the main two ways down (left or right at the top).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
horgand, ...phone the Skier's Lodge and they will give you an accurate account of conditions as the season starts. I've been in 2Alpes when there was NO snow back to the town (2001) and there's no real way of knowing exactly how the season is going to pan out - nothing early as yet though - and the squirrels in Crans are NOT storing their nuts (local prediction of warm winter with little snow) while the Giant Gentian were tall (winter with lots of snow according to local myth) - so who the F knows what it's going to do - but you are going early to LG, no doubt about it...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Folks, that's quality info and a great help thanks. its helping my ski buddy and I to make an informed decision re heading to La grave so early.

P.s. Valais2, I never thought I'd be discussing the squirrelling of squirrels or the heights of the Giant Gentian, at least we're not onto the droppings of mountain goats Smile but i guess that's the next logical step.... (would anyone who would like to discuss the droppings of mountain goats please go to a thread specially for that Smile, I'm a ski in the mountain when its full of snow man myself!) Thanks for all tips though.
ski holidays
I've been to La Grave nigh on every year since 1997 and there's no telling what you might end up with.

I've had a few trips when we've not been able to go up La Meije for most of the week, high winds, too much snow etc etc - then we went to other places with the guides, ADH, Deux Alpes, Serre Che, Claviere etc - so just go and enjoy it.

For a few days LG was cut off - all we could do was hike up the terraces at the back and then ski back down through the village!

I've been in March where the snow's been crap - like most of this past last season - though we did score some nice runs off the glacier.

You will need major snow to fall to enable you to ski down to Les Freux etc post New Year but that can happen - what will be will be!

Mate of mine a guide there, always has an snow / avalanche course at the beginning of Jan I seem to recall.

Good point about the rocks though, I've seen many a fine pair of skis trashed - even when the snow covers been good!

I'm probably going out to stay a few days there around Dec 12th as I've a few friends to see and do some other stuff, can't ski even if it was possible anyway Sad

There's always ice climbing which is really good at that time of year!

However has to be said, if it was me I'd would wait till Feb.....................

Best of luck though!

And what many don't know is that LG has it's own nursery area and kids ski school just up the road on the same side as La Grave village above LG - from Chazalet (really nice cafe there) you can take a lift and then hike up to Signal La Grave and then down round the back ending up in Les Hierres.

snow conditions
If there isn't enough snow at La Grave you can ski at various places nearby (Deux Alpes, Serre Chevallier, Alp d'Huez - or even Montgenevre)
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
I've been to La Grave nigh on every year since 1997 and there's no telling what you might end up with.
I'm probably going out to stay a few days there around Dec 12th as I've a few friends to see and do some other stuff, can't ski even if it was possible anyway Sad

Thanks Weathercam,

Enjoy December trip, would you mind posting to let me know what conditions are like around then??
As we are definitely going to La G for 4 days over NYear but I can spend 2 extra days at the start in La G if conditions are looking good otherwise I'll go to Tignes for 2 days to warm up.
snow report
Thanks to the snow Gods a good base has fallen over the past 10 days, and with 1.2m forecast to fall over the coming 9 days, I am totally stoked about going to La Grave now... Wife can sense somethings up, and she's yet to see me in front of the box, rolling my ankles in my ski boots, watching my Warren Smith DVDs while getting my new ava txrcvr working... am I sad or what!? Yipee!!
latest report
I ended up going to La Grave this December till the 31st, stayed in Skiers lodge, whole thing was fantastic, simply fantastic!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy