Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

10 years of skiing!

Poster: A snowHead
I find it hard to believe that on January 7th it will be 10 years to the day that I first headed to the Alps, best decision I ever made as I've had at least one week of skiing a year since then. snowHead

It has also taken me to wonderful countries such as Austria (5 times), Italy (twice), France (EoSB) and as far as Canada (4 times).

My only regret, that I wasn't able to start in childhood! Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
13 years for me now - including one season (and one more to come).

I should be ALOT better than I am on the piste but my apres skills are exceptional! snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ditto on the regret. remember having the choice of ski holiday or disney as a kid, and was outvoted.
15yrs for me this January, although I didn't keep such a precise record of the exact day. Also missed a few years due to work.

France x6, Austria x4 (plus weekends), Italy x3, Switzerland x1 (plus PdS day trips over the border), I think is my tally.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another ditto on the regret at not starting at school age and also just coming up to 10 years (in Jan) - WTF did that all go... Shocked

22nd week coming up in a few weeks: Andorra x 1, Austria x 1, Italy x 3 and France x 16. Good times snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
this is my 20th year, without working it out specifically I'd say it's also going to easily see my 40th week pass, like so many others, I should be so much better (but I do know some crackig restaurants and great wine!)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nadenoodlee wrote:

I should be ALOT better than I am on the piste but my apres skills are exceptional! snowHead

Cool
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Surely the right response should be, too many trips to count Smile

Actually, according to my list I've been skiing for 22 years, 38 trips. France x 20, Switzerland x 6, Canada x3, US x3, Austria x3, Scotland x2, Italy x1.

My skiing should be great, but it isn't
Confused
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Threads like this make me feel old and tired. Still I went skiing yesterday and only crossed my inside ski tip behind my outer boot once (not recommended) so I'm progressing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I got lucky. My parents discovered that for £3 the local club at the dry ski slope in Birmingham would look after me for about 3 hours, and I was far enough away that they could sit and relax in the car. So from about 10 years old I got chucked into weekly skiing, and then school ski trips were dirt cheap and again very cheap childcare for an entire week.

That means I can do something that a lot of friends are only now just discovering. It is one of a lot of things I got packed off to do as a child, but one of a few that have really stuck. I don't think I could now imagine what it would be like not to do a week somewhere in the snow. I'd have to find another sport that could give me the same thing, and there really aren't many that do that and can make you feel that way.

It also means I've had about 15 years of skiing, allowing for a little gap when I went to uni and somehow didn't work out how cheap the uni ski trips were.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been on this lovely planet for 21 years, been to the mountains at least twice a year for everyone of them and never plan to miss a year, through illness and injury always made it out, I couldn't count the weeks I've been out there but I want to make sure my children (when/if I have some little sprouts) have the same opportunities. In my case I really think I couldn't count the weeks I've been out there, only thing for sure is I plan to add to them considerably!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another late starter but now approaching 20 years come Jan 2012, not missed a winter yet, may call for a beer! Started with 1 or 2 trips a year and then ramped it up and up. I'm now living in the alps, looking forward to my first whole winter on skis, already done 3 ski tours this month. Should be skiing through til May so a 7 month season has started. Very Happy

Ever worked out how much money skiing has cost? If I add in lost earnings due to playing in the snow it adds up to an horrendous amount.but live to work or live to ski?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
waynos, don't worry about how much it has cost, just remember how much it was worth Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gulp! 34 years for me. And I'm still rubbish! In fairness there are quite a few gaps in those 34 years. I think it equates to roughly 15 trips and one season.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, 38 for me Shocked Also still rubbish, even allowing for several gaps. Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RichardB wrote:
I find it hard to believe that on January 7th it will be 10 years to the day that I first headed to the Alps

Embarassed Embarassed February 11th will be my 50th anniversary (and that wasn't starting as a child either, unfortunately). I suppose skiing has had a good deal to do with my ending up living in Austria (I now live in the village where I had my second ski holiday in Austria - how's that for nostalgia?).

My original plan for the anniversary had been to repeat the Grand Tour of Scottish areas that I did for my 40th anniversary but now I have so many friends that come out here Very Happy that I can't get away.
snow conditions
espri wrote:
RichardB wrote:
I find it hard to believe that on January 7th it will be 10 years to the day that I first headed to the Alps

Embarassed Embarassed February 11th will be my 50th anniversary (and that wasn't starting as a child either, unfortunately). I suppose skiing has had a good deal to do with my ending up living in Austria (I now live in the village where I had my second ski holiday in Austria - how's that for nostalgia?).

My original plan for the anniversary had been to repeat the Grand Tour of Scottish areas that I did for my 40th anniversary but now I have so many friends that come out here Very Happy that I can't get away.

I hope one day to be able to post something like this, have a fantastic season!
snow report
only 4 years in for me. 33yoa for my first trip - 13 trips so far and love it so much Austria x 2 and France x 11. My partner and I have quit our jobs and doing our first season this year Very Happy
snow report
superb stuff!!
i wish i could remember the date of my first trip with school in 1996
snow conditions
This coming season will be my fourth. Have finally totted up my skiing days, have done 17 weeks of actual skiing in the past three seasons. This coming season will be a lean one (only 3 weeks) due to a wee spinal injury thing at the end of last season.
snow conditions
First trip for me was about 1972 so this years trip to canada will be my 40th anniversary. Missed a few years here and there for work etc and unfortunately never did a season. Maybe when i retire, haha. I'm 44 this year so i guess learning young i can ski ok, but prefer to board right now. Might sling some ski boots in for this years trip.
ski holidays
rogg,

interesting point you make,ive been ribbing my mate who is 44, ive said he has only a few years left before it doesnt look cool to snowboard anymore, for me its never been cool, sorry , ive been skiing for 14 years, and half a hour boarding,will continue skiing for ever !!!
latest report
I should add I started at school, dont tar me with your old fart brush just yet wink
snow conditions
My big bro tried to persuade me to go skiing when I was 20 ish but I thought it was a waste of money to go on holiday, then Mum n Dad gave me a week in Soldeu Andorra for my 21st birthday in 1986. After 3 days on skis ( well, mainly on my rs, head knees etc) I was sick and wanted to go home, but that night I managed to hide from my bro long enough to stop him getting me utterly legless again. ( Anyone that did Andorra in the 80's will know what I mean, hot chocolate on the mountain automatically came with a triple brandy in it, you had to ask the barman NOT to add brandy).

The next day was a revelation!, I skied what seemed like miles without head planting. from then on it was 3 weeks every year till kids arrived in 1999 when it dropped to 2 weeks each year, allowing two years missed for honeymoon and birth of twins, I think I make it a total of 56 weeks.

At school I was completely cr*p at sports, always the last to be picked from the class when we had football in PE, skiing was finally a sporty activity I was actually quite good at. My wife never understood why it meant so much to me to enter the village race in Soldeu against the instructors (professionals) and resort workers / reps (non professionals) and win fastest non professional twice. I just wish I had the skill to match my bottle.

Being into bikes as well as skiing, one of the things I love is pushing carvers to the limit, just as bikers try to scrape the footrests, I like trying to scrape my elbows in the turns, not sure what gives first, the ski's grip or my thighs!. Maybe that could be a snowheads challenge, 1 point for trailing fingertips in the turn, 2 points for the palm, 10 points for scraping an elbow and 100 points for a shoulder!!!
snow report
tangowaggon,
Quote:

At school I was completely cr*p at sports, always the last to be picked from the class when we had football in PE, skiing was finally a sporty activity I was actually quite good at

I can relate to that. Whilst I'm not particularly good at skiing, I am streets better at it than I was at any school sports, and that gives me considerable satisfaction. Sadly, it's only in the last couple of years that I've been clocking up more than a week, or occasionally two, per year. Still, I'm managing to make up for some of the lost time now, at Hemel as well as in the mountains.
snow report
January 10th will be 8 years, and about 130+ weeks - I've lost count. Shocked
ski holidays
I didn't start skiing till 36; did 4 days first the year, 2 days second, 2 weeks third and will now be hitting 5 this year. Gets bloody addictive... should come with a Gov health warning Shocked
snow conditions
Started skiing February 16th 2008. I've now done about 7 weeks on the mountains and loads of coaching at Hemel snowHead

Like tangowaggon, and Pedantica, I was rubbish at sport at school and nobody was more surprised than me when the enjoyment of skiing and commitment and ability to improve at it became such a major focus in my life. Let's hope the body and finances continue to hold out as long as my enthusiasm! (did I hear someone say 'obsession'? Toofy Grin)

Pedantica, I think your skiing is very good snowHead
snow conditions
i am a bit of an odd ball
i started in 1983 at Avimore, then did 3 alps trips up to March 1989
THEN
after 19 years went back to Alps again in 2008, and again in 2010
sadly can't go next year but hopeful for 2013 Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
26th Anniversary on 6th January 2011. Missed several years early on but have now caught up (thanks to this forum showing me that it is perfectly normal to want to ski for more than 1 week per year rolling eyes )so that I average >1wk/yr (I think it's 27 weeks so far) Very Happy

(Edit for incorrect mathematics)
snow report
Freddie Paellahead,
Quote:

thanks to this forum showing me that it is perfectly normal to want to ski for more than 1 week per year
quite - including the rolling eyes! I was just thinking: when it became clear that Direct Travel would only offer 17 days' ski insurance p.a. in the future, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid in my prelapsarian days, and now I have to look for alternative insurance. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Pedantica, I was glad I found out about the Direct Travel policy last year and took out a policy just before the Birthday Bash, thinking that it would do me for the rest of season. Then along came the PSB and a booked trip early January. Quick check of the policy and they're all covered.

Very Happy

Shame it's no longer available. Crying or Very sad
snow report
geepee, yeah, I'm OK until, but excluding, the EoSB.
latest report
Scary thoughts, I am into my 35 year skiing, not as many as some, but given that I am 38......not bad going!
ski holidays
My regret is not skiing between the ages of 13 and 34. However as a child I skied a week most years before that with my parents, mostly in Switzerland but also Lech and then every year since 1983 - usually for 3 weeks though one year I only got a day and a bit and then did my ACL.
I'm basically not very sporty but I started early enough and went on long enough that it would be surprising if I wasn't quite good. It has an extremely important place in my life - an experience of almost pure joy of being completely in the moment and at the edge of what my body can do, in complete accord with the most stunning landscapes I know. Really it is the closest I'll get to being a bird.

PS Hi, yes, I'm back and I'm fine.
snow report
snowball, snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
^Great news!
snow conditions
snowball, similar scenario to me (not the ACL, just the timings). Between the ages of 21 and 38, I had only 3 ski holidays. At the age of 21 I was a pretty reasonable and fairly fearless skier. That's all long gone now.
snow report
about 8 years for me now, and im only 18 rolling eyes
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
Gulp! 34 years for me. And I'm still rubbish! In fairness there are quite a few gaps in those 34 years. I think it equates to roughly 15 trips and one season.

started in 1975 and I'm rubbish too snowHead just goes to show that 10,000 hour rule is crap wink
latest report
Although I didn't start as a child, I've been skiing for over 20 years. I never feel like celebrating. I just took it for granted this is one more sport I enjoy, to some degree. There had been others (sporting activity) I enjoy equally.

Quote:
At school I was completely cr*p at sports, always the last to be picked from the class when we had football in PE, skiing was finally a sporty activity I was actually quite good at.

I've been involved with one kind sporting activity or another since elementary school. Maybe that's why I took skiing for granted? I'm not particularly good at skiing, nor the other sports. Though good enough to be included for the group fun. And that's where my aspiration ends. Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy