Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Surefoot is THE way forward...honestly!

Poster: A snowHead
Quick question; who, apart from a very few 'experts', need performance boots? Given some of the comments above about them being hell to wear, unclipping on every lift, taking off after a couple of hours etc, it seems to be completely self-defeating.

I'm as big a sucker for bling gear as anyone, and my current outfit is more blinging than most, but even I'm not prepared to endure actual proper pain for over half of my holiday just to be seen wearing expert/race boots. It seems to be one step up from "all the gear, no idea", to "all the gear, and a total f@%ing idiot".

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 24-10-11 17:25; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just reserving my spot in this soon to be epic thread.

FWIW I've heard varying reports of Surefoot from boot messiahs down to dodgy franchise operation depending on where and more importantly who people have been dealt with by.

...and while I've well and truly experienced problems in ski boots it has been like a tickle compared to the utter agony I was in when my snowboard boots packed out beyond the point of return.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
roga wrote:
Chasseur wrote:
I guess everyone's experiences vary - as it happens, my first boots were comfy from fitting to wearing and usual clip adjustments have taken care of any minor discomfort issues. I'm not sure 3-4 days of my holiday to bed in new boots is really something I'd be overly happy about to be honest.

That's why anyone heading off on a holiday should make sure they spend time in a dome or on a dry slope breaking the boots in.

Actually, I was considering getting SZK to fit me out in some new ones in Tignes. So no real option to break them in and, as mentioned in response to the earlier post, I'd not be happy spending 4 days of a 6 day holiday breaking new boots in - not looking for performance/race boots, but a higher end pair none-the-less. Perhaps changing the liners is the way to go after all.

Quote:
Although the liners on my boots are now pretty compacted and the boots themselves look like the 20+ weeks of heavy wear they have had, comments like that make me consider carefully how to approach changing them.

Quote:
I'm sure it depends on the foot and the boot, I'm sure some people get boots fitted and they're great form the start whereas for others it takes a good few days, as a rule of thumb though it's best not to expect them to be totally comfortable from the start and to expect to have to take them back for minor tweaks too. If that's your starting point then you'll be very pleased if they are fine from the start but won't be surprised if they aren't and need more tweaking and/or time to settle down.

One's personal expectations are usually framed from personal experience. I questioned someone else's because my frame of reference is entirely at odds with yours and the earlier suggestion. When I bought my first pair, I hadn't expected immediate comfort, so it was a pleasant surprise. There is a bit of a gulf from immediate comfort to 4 days of discomfort and pretty dull revisits whilst on holiday for adjustments.

FWIW, S & R, Chertsey fitted the current boots - though this was nearly 10 years ago.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dr John, Race boots don't have to be uncomfortable, I only have one pair of boots and wear them all day, this is with a 5mm shell fit.

One difference is that most race liners don't pack out so you need to get the shells stretched as soon as you feel each sore spot. After getting a few pairs fitted you can just give the bootfitter a list of things to do in one go.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dr John, Most of my chums run on race boots. My fullest full on race boots are very comfortable. My new, downgraded ones are immensely comfortable after only an initial fitting.

"need" is always a bit of a relative term, but once you get to a certain level of ski performance, you begin to pretty much need a similar level of boots, otherwise the boot will be over powered by the ski.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The whole few days to pack in thing is a bit fluffy, i had extra gel in mine to pack them out a tad more for the performance skiing i'll be doing. Day 1 in the snow dome......... no discomfort and a very tight fitting boot.

Elston, the guy that did mine was ex world cup and travels the sure foot network of stores to ensure they are on the same page. I'd feel happy going to any of their stores, hell of a lot better than having to wait till I get home.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dr John, LOL but oh so true.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hornster, what was the make/model/size of the offending boots & what is the make/model/size of the solution boots?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

It has suddenly occurred to me that not many women tend to whinge about their boots on snowHeads. A higher pain threshold perhaps?

Maybe it's not just about moaning about other stuff, maybe it's also that women are less likely to talk-up their own skill level, and to give the impression that they want macho "performance fit" when they spend a week a year getting themselves, in a kind of way, down the occasional black run. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
My fullest full on race boots are very comfortable.

Yeah mate. But that was after the operation where you've had your foot re-shaped to be "plug boot" shaped wink

Actually, in all seriousness MrsFS had a toe operation because she couldn't get ski boots to fit... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just don't understand the whole "not willing to spend X days of my holiday getting fitted and breaking in new boots" thing.

Surely, the short-term expenditure means long-term gain. Invest one day for fitting and be prepared to go in a couple of more times for tweaks over the remainder of that week and then you're in boot heaven and can ski happily for the next X number of seasons. It's either that or spends many seasons in poorly-fitted boots.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chasseur wrote:
Perhaps changing the liners is the way to go after all.

I hate to say this, but even that can be far from a walk in the park.

In all seriousness, if SZK is around for a few days at the PSB then that's probably as good as it gets.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BTW - could we start a poll on the likely outturn length of this thread...?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm a woman, and I have "performance fit" boots.
The bootfitter I go to will not make any fit adjustments until the boots have been skied - preferably for 3 or 4 days before the FIRST fitting. I got my current boots at the beginning of last season so they now have 100+ days on them - some days they are comfortable, other days they are not and then I ski with them pretty much undone. Wink
In the last 8 years I've had 5 pairs of boots, which have all been comfortable at some point - my current boots have the closest fit and the most responsive feel.
I expect to spend time and money on a comfortable performance fit and I don't know anyone who can wear any boot straight out of the box. Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FlyingStantoni wrote:
BTW - could we start a poll on the likely outturn length of this thread...?
Not very long if the OP doesn't start "doing a Pandora" very soon.
snow report
bobmcstuff wrote:
......maybe I just have Salomon shaped feet.

I'm with you bobmcstuff. I have been skiing for more years than my ability would suggest, and I have only owned 2 pairs of Salomon boots, neither of which have given me so much as a pinch or a cramp, despite being being fitted (probably stretching the definition of the word) by some Saturday kid. Either I'm very lucky indeed, or I'm not skiing hard enough Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Hornster wrote:
Dr John, LOL but oh so true.

Why do I get the impression that now you've lit the blue touch paper you're sitting back, watching and laughing?!

Try answering the questions posed above as well as telling us which bootfitter you're accusing above, otherwise some of us might come to the conclusion you're extracting zee wee wee a wee bit! Razz

I suspect the thread will run and run whatever though!
ski holidays
roga, yep, non-answering of simple questions is something of a giveaway. rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

I'm a woman, and I have "performance fit" boots.

skinanny, I wasn't suggesting that no women would want performance boots - obviously expert women do want, and need, them. I do think, though that women are less likely to talk up their ski ability and want "performance boots" when in reality they didn't need, and couldn't make good use of, such things.
ski holidays
pam w, I agree with you - wasn't reading your post, but rather Dr John - that's the problem with accessing stuff off my phone. wink
latest report
Hahahaaaaa. Bootfitter. Genius.

What?
snow report
Hornster wrote:
The forum rules don’t allow me to name names but
Which rules of which forum? I'm not aware of such a rule. (not that I tend to read t+c's habitually)

Personally I think that we'd all be far better off if you just spoke up and told the whole truth rather than to effectively slag off every bootfitter in the country, other than Surefoot, by implication.

In fact I would go further and say that, by stating that whoever gave you this 'dreadful service' is an active contributor to snowHeads, the more active a bootfitter is in his contribution to the forum, the more sullied he will tend to be by the broad but indistinct strokes of your allegations.
As a result, the nature of your post is, in effect, an attack on snowHeads. (Whether you intended that or not)

So...
This is where you need to come clean about whom your complaint is regarding, in order to:
a) give that party the opportunity to defend and discuss the situation openly, should they wish to.
b) let every other bootfitter who has contributed to snowHeads off the hook.

If not, then I will be forced to treat your post as an attempt at covert advertising on behalf of Surefoot.
latest report
admin, That's a very reasonable approach to take IMHO.
ski holidays
Bother, that's probably going to be the last we hear of him, and I've got a popcorn mountain here. Twisted Evil
latest report
Pedantica, well I have to clean and pack up at my apartment today, so I'm glad there won't be anything too entertaining.....
ski holidays
I'm Brian.
snow report
No, I'm Brian(?)
latest report
You're never more than a few feet from a bootfitter.

Don't know about anyone else but I do feel "attacked" now that Admin mentions it. Will there be counseling available at the B'ham ski show? Free beer normally helps.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
admin, spot on!
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni, You are not Brian, you are a very naughty boy!
ski holidays
Hornster, It could well be that the mystery boot fitter in question is a member of the British Ski Boot-Fitters Association.

Maybe you would get further by pursuing this via them?
snow conditions
I would recommend trying Profeet, I met Hamish Wolfenden for 10 minutes, I offered a problem with a new boot, he accurately described which movements would bring on the pain without prompting and why it was not present at all times. Gave me a morphological explanation and told me how to resolve it (a dremel not a footbed) and didn’t charge me a bean, very impressed; as my nom de guerre suggests I can be a mood Hoover about fads.
ski holidays
smithski wrote:
Hornster, It could well be that the mystery boot fitter in question is a member of the British Ski Boot-Fitters Association.

Maybe you would get further by pursuing this via them?

Think you'll find that "the mystery boot fitter" might be a founder of the BSBA Laughing
ski holidays
Are there exams that everyone has to pass with a sort of central theme of boot fitting to be a holder of BSBA membership so we can be quality assured? And who holds the high licences would be good information.
snow conditions
Cynic, it's all on the website
ski holidays
I got my first pair of properly fitted boots at the weekend (Hi CEM, thanks etc.) and am now dreading my first trip to the snow dome following Spud9's comments. Evil or Very Mad

CEM wrote:
the biggest problem we see is lack of flexibility, but it is hardly up to the boot fitter to do stretched for the client, we can accommodate it to an extent in the fit of the boot but as others have said there is two sides to every story.

I am one of the guilty parties on the flex front (any advice on improving flex appreciated - I do attempt to stretch, but I'm lazy).

If you want a running commentary on my experience I could use this thread as a diary (unless admin removes it as advertising that is). I'm sure that one person's experience is as (un)representative as another's.

N.B. My first/last pair of boots weren't fitted (although the independent trader who sold them to me spent a lot of time with me trying a number of different boots over a couple of hours, so they were by no means a rush/rash purchase). I had exactly the same experience described with them in that they started off agonising and became comfortable over a fairly shortish period.
ski holidays
Quote:

any advice on improving flex appreciated

CEM's website has excellent advice....
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
CEM's website has excellent advice....

So I'd read, but I couldn't spot the link... Looks like it's been hidden! http://solutions4feet.com/cp7.php
(I do most of these every day in the gym, not to mention much dropping of heels of of steps - more ofthe same I guess)
snow conditions
http://www.solutions4feet.co.uk/files/ankle_flex_article.pdf
ski holidays
Quote:

dropping of heels of of steps

A while since I've studied it but in my opinion that's not a stretch. It just feels like one. Calf has to massively contract because of the weight - can't contract and stretch at the same time. Best stretches are applied by another person while relaxed. An expert will be along shortly...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy