Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA Long haul - ski back and luggage bag???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just checking for British Airways long haul economy can I take a 23kg bag AND a 23kg ski bag???

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Provided you pay for the bag.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Had problems with this last year, youre allowed a 23kg bag, OR a 23kg ski bag... very silly rules. Unless you pay something like £40+ per journey for the extra bag...

But check that incase its changed for this year Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I called them to check, we needed to book extra luggage, but it is up to 22kg. So we are taking a double ski bag which came to 14kg when we weighed it and will fill the space with clothes etc and put our boots in our normal luggage.

Only problem we have is we are coming back on American Airlines which have different rules, but it did save us £200 Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also with BA you can take two hand luggage pieces with a 23kg weight restriction and you do need to be able to put in the overhead bin by yourself, but size does matter. So do check, but it's one normal and one large laptop/hand bag!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
their website seems to suggest that you get two free.

It states:

Free allowances for all flights EXCEPT Brazil, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria and connecting journeys between India and USA/Bermuda/Canada

World Traveller Y class (full-fare Economy) Two bags 23kg free

•This allows you to take items such as sporting equipment and musical instruments at no additional cost as part of your free checked baggage allowance.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_gb

Then hand luggage is on top of this

Hand baggage allowance
•You are allowed one piece of hand baggage plus a laptop or handbag.
•A 23kg (51lbs) maximum bag weight applies and you must be able to lift the bag into the overhead lockers in the aircraft cabin unaided
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Give them a ring, but I know I definitely had to pay for my ski bag last season to Switzerland.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, will you be going full fare economy though? probably not I would guess in which case you would have 1 bag

anyway, the BA website tells you what your allowance is during the booking process so read the small print on the summary page before you finalise the booking
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As much as you can in ski bag. Boots in carry on plus all other gubbins in laptop bag. Though if you book the flight with miles they seem to giv eyou a bigger baggage allowance (barely worth it for economy as you still have to ay £300+ in taxes/charges).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spiky1013, not sure Switzerland counts as long haul.

Arno, good point, may get silver status before I go which would help!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I flew with BA last year longhaul Hong Kong to London. At that time i would have had to pay for a whole extra bag to take skis - and that's a lot longhaul. However, they have a generous hand baggage allowance. Therefore i bought a large snow board bag and put skis, boots, avy kit, bulky ski wear, helmet, liquids, etc in there, came to under 23kgs. Then i put my non ski clothes and small items in a weekend carry on case, plus a laptop bag for my personal items. TOtally adequate for 2 weeks.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, I know, its far from it... didnt think the policies would differ too much from shorthaul to longhaul though Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Like Anniegirl and beanie1,

With only 1 checked bag per person.....

Mrs A and I flew to YVR last year: 2 pairs skis plus clothing to 23kg = 1 checked bag. 1 regular bag (clothing plus Mrs A's boots) & my helmet = 2nd checked bag. 1 carry-on drag bag plus small backpack = Mrs A's hand luggage. 1 Boot bag + laptop = my carry on luggage.

More than enough for 2 weeks. (Plus the bonus that BA screwed up their online check-in, so that when we finally boarded the aircraft we got an upgrade to the World Traveller Plus cabin for our outward trip Very Happy)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, as most people above have said, it's one bag for each person in the party. That one piece of luggage can be a ski bag, but, if so, it replaces your normal bag.

It seems that you're allowed to put other things in your ski bag - another pair of skis, perhaps? - provided that you don't exceed the 23kg weight limit. However, it's important to note that if any of your journey is operated by American Airlines under a codeshare agreement, you're not allowed to put anything else in the ski bag. My booking confirmation for this winter tells me that they have a firmly stated limit of one pair of skis per bag, but I'm not sure how tightly it's enforced. Given that my first flight is with BA and not American, I'm tempted to try it on with a double ski bag. If I have trouble on the way home, I'll just bin my wife's skis. Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy