Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: La Plagne/Champagny snow report 2012-2013

Poster: A snowHead
some fresh prisoners of war?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Safely back home after an excellent week in Plagne Villages.

Couldn't really have asked for any better conditions (apart from the lack of piste bashing around Bellecote early in the week).

However, here's a tip, if Robert @ La Bergerie Bar on the Mira/Ramy piste above PV offers you some of the local hooch with a frog in it.... do not accept. Its safe enough but bloody vile tasting.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ukredsox wrote:

Couldn't really have asked for any better conditions (apart from the lack of piste bashing around Bellecote early in the week).

However, here's a tip, if Robert @ La Bergerie Bar on the Mira/Ramy piste above PV offers you some of the local hooch with a frog in it.... do not accept. Its safe enough but bloody vile tasting.

bwhahaha i shall keep this in mind!

Also just a quick one, les arcs, i have a lift pass for the whole paradiski area, it takes just over an hour to drive there ( we are renting a car,) i was wondering would it be better to just ski there?/ would it be faster? ( we are staying in plagne 1800)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
xander89, Ski from 1800 its easy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What the Fat Controller says - I got to the restaurant at the Vanoise in well under an hour from the bottom of 1800 this morning. If you are staying on the 'town' bus route, then a bus to Bellecote then the Arpette chair up then ski down is the quickest. If you are staying the Melezes chair end of 1800, get that, the Bergerie then down to Bellecote and the Arpette lift. Its less than 30 mins from Bellecote Smile And early morning its a nice ski too Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
a one day visit to Champagny-en-Vanoise and la Plagne

130108_001

see the more pictures at : http://www.flickr.com/photos/123_456/sets/72157632475221670/with/8362852614/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
123_456 wrote:
a one day visit to Champagny-en-Vanoise and la Plagne

130108_001

see the more pictures at : http://www.flickr.com/photos/123_456/sets/72157632475221670/with/8362852614/

haha brilliant!

Dam car hire fell through! its an extra 30 a day in france for drivers under 25....opposed to everywhere else, germany 15 a day etc. erg, having to get a transfer from geneva and it doesn't leave till 21:50 :*(. Bah so much for a decent nights sleep before my first day of skiing!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ukredsox wrote:

Interesting that there is still a problem with pisteing, I was rather hoping it was an Xmas/New year problem Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Loads and loads and loads of snow this morning - woo hoo!! Just off out to play Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boredsurfing, I think ukredsox was referring to the New Year period, the post was on the 8th after returning home after an excellent week so I assume it was referring to the New Year week.

The pistes have been in excellent condition all of this week, well groomed and relatively quiet. Hopefully next week will be as good with the new snow and more is forecast for early next week.
We are back home for a few days but should be back out there on Sunday so will report when time permits.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skichampcouk wrote:
Boredsurfing, I think ukredsox was referring to the New Year period, the post was on the 8th after returning home after an excellent week so I assume it was referring to the New Year week.

Yep, we arrived on Sun 30th Dec. It was on the morning of Mon 31st than we discovered that the main Trieuse piste down into PB had not been pisted
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing, come out now - it is absolutely stunning and no grooming issues now at all.

Had an awesome day out on the piste yesterday - snow and sunshine all day - one of the best days I've had for years.

Looks to be the same today but I'm in the office for changeover day - just wondering if anyone would notice if i snuck out for a few hours . . .
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
3 More days of fresh stuff forecast on http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/La-Plagne/6day/mid before we arrive.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking lush out there. Just about to put some skis on and go meet a SH for a 'lemonade'!! LOL Haven't skied since Weds (I so need a new job!) so looking forward to a short blat. (sadly will have to be short - more work Sad )
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
you seem to need to improve your reading skills Schuss, I can't seem to find any spelling errors in my post???
latest report
Posted this on the Les Arcs thread but it does cover La Plagne as well.

Left 9am this morning and straight over from Arc 2000 via Arcabulle to the Vanoise. Very foggy the other side and cold but shot down to Montchavin. Foggy and flt light. Yuck, back up quick and over to Belle Plagne. Stop for coffee to warm up (it was cold). Then up to Roche, it was snowing and cold, did Inversions, back up, did Les Sources, over to La Roche via Plagne 1800. Snow great La Plagne side, lots of fresh stuff, never seen the snow line on the trees so low.

Had lunch at La Roche, like the improved access, sexed the place up a bit, changed hands? Anyway quick lunch, back up to Plagne Centre. They spent 10m euro, saw no change, still flat? It was snowing again and cold. Quick dash back down Pierre Blanches, best conditions we have ever skied it and then back to Arc 2000. Flat light and cold in the 2000 bowl. Bought new boots in March in 1950 and they were hurting slightly so took the back for adjusting. The point of buying in resort?

Its 8pm here in Arc 2000 and guess what, its snowing heavy!!!

We ski tomorrow mornign and have a private boarding lesson booked for 2pm. Want to make sure we don't pick up to many bad habits as we progress.

Anyway, knackered, covered a lots of miles today. Snow great but not sure if I mentioned it, it was cold today.
snow conditions
Still snowing again today and the pistes are in excellent condition although visibility hasn't been great.

Yesterday was a strange day, snowing in Champagny all day with bad visibility however loads of powder snow on piste. Over on the La Plagne side visibility was much better but a lot less powder on piste.
This morning was pretty similar in La Plagne and Champagny, light snow with flat light but great conditions on piste. It looks like it has just stopped snowing here in Champagny and sunny but cold weather is forecast for tomorrow.
ski holidays
Anyone care to explain what improvement the 10m euro spent on Plagne centre has generated? Could see no difference yesterday, still flat trying to get across it?
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, Well, around 7 million was the new Becoin lift, and two lifts were removed, the rest who knows?
Just wait until the news gets out that the Montalbert sector is getting a state of the art Gondola but at a cost of removing five other lifts!
Great for the shareholders as I guess in excess of 20 lifties jobs will go. Bad for the skiers/boarders but hey ho the operating costs are reduced again.
snow report
Boredsurfing, Ah, that explains it. Would have been nice to see a tow rope go in, Revolutionised the Arc2000 bowl did one small tow rope. Obviously skiers/boarders are not high on the priority list of the La Plagne lift company?

Whats the plan in Montalbert? I know from your place you take 2 lifts up, get rid of them and put a gondola in, with a mid station?
snow report
thefatcontroller, Nope one lift from roughly outside the tourist office (opposite the steps from the car park) to just short of where the Fornelet lift stops, one straight line no intermediate stop remove all other lifts including Coqs. So to get to anywhere everyone has to go right down to the village and then up the Gondola and then back down to La Roche! Oh yes there is also the small matter of 2.5k of 150 year old forest to be stripped out!
Needless to say there is some opposition..
to removing the trees.
snow report
Boredsurfing, The Mayor of Montalbert and la Roche come up with this idea? Bet the la Roche end like the idea as it would increase traffic into that area. How democratic is the process, do locals have any real say?
snow report
thefatcontroller, Who really knows, but bear in mind at previous half term weeks the La Roche lift car parks have been closed as they were full. Busy weeks we avoid Roche unless it's lunchtime because the queues are so long. Also bear in mind without Coqs all the pistes on the back of the Becoin sector (thats 4 of the best blacks and some 'hidden' off piste as well) will lead to La Roche, with no alternative Shocked
But what the heck the lift co saves 20+ jobs and all that machinery maintenence and engineers costs and the environment is relieved of lots of lift towers and cables, it's a win win....for the shareholders of Compagenie des Alpes.
latest report
Stunning days skiing today. Absolute heaven this morning with ankle deep powder on the pistes in Champagny and knee deep powder just to the side.
Beautiful sunny day but very cold.
Ventured over towards Bellecote late morning when most of the fresh powder was skied out but the pistes were to well maintained for my liking so headed back to Champagny, down Les Bosses which still had plenty of power. Back home via Mont de la Guerre which was more of a pleasure than a challenge this afternoon.
snow report
My best day so far - snowing in Champagny when we went there. Got told I ski better than I admit to! Tried a bit of off piste but need more confidence/instruction.

I like well groomed pistes so around Plagne Centre and Bellecote was lovely for me Smile Smile 6 hours !!! What a lush day Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
hey all, i've just booked a last minute deal to La Plagne going on sunday. I'm staying in a chalet 1800, i really dont know that much about la plagne other than its linked to les arc Laughing Where would be good to start off the week, so some nice cruise blues? Oh and from 1800 is there a way to get to plan centre on foot?
snow conditions
Russeh wrote:
hey all, i've just booked a last minute deal to La Plagne going on sunday. I'm staying in a chalet 1800, i really dont know that much about la plagne other than its linked to les arc Laughing Where would be good to start off the week, so some nice cruise blues? Oh and from 1800 is there a way to get to plan centre on foot?

i think there is a shuttle, also there is a lift from plagne 1800 that takes you to the centre. I am worrying about my flights to geneva on sat, forecast to snow in the Uk and im going from Luton, not a good combo. Only upside is i am going later (flights take off at 6ish) so hopefully they will have sorted the runway by that time if the snow continues into sat.
snow conditions
Russeh wrote:

Skiing there are two lifts out of 1800 - one to Aime (ish!) and one to the bottom of centre

There's a shuttle bus that goes from Centre - 1800 - Bellecote -Centre. Runs every 15 minutes (in French time!)

Most of the blues are cruisy but quite a few have small sections that are steeper than you'd think. The Bergerie lift (at the top of the Melezes out of 1800) has a couple of good runs back to Centre. The Colorado in Centre has some good blues off it. But they are quite short.

Loads to do though and all good fun at the mo Very Happy Very Happy I've had a scream today (literally - hit a load of 'bumps' on the bottom of the Geisha track and then lumpy bits on the bottom of the run to the Borseillers lift - BUT didn't crash and was going faster than my mate that normally straight lines everything!!! The adrenalin rush is still here Very Happy Very Happy )

Have fun - its a good time to come out methinks Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It was extremely cold today but the snow was fantastic. A surprising few inches of fresh snow this morning meant that most of the pistes were in excellent condition.
Forecast is for 4 days of snow from Saturday evening.
ski holidays
Thats not so good - well it is in some ways. But my best mate arrives on saturday. not sure she'll be so keen on the snowing - unless it snows at night and is sunny in the day Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
xander89, chaletgirl, Thanks for the great info, good theres a shuttle bus. I might go for a wonder to the centre when i get there. I'll checkout those blues on Monday Chaletgirl, can't wait.

speaking of which I'm equally bit conserned about making it to Geneva xander89. I'm not flying until early sunday morning so fingers crossed. Looks like the worst of it will be tomorrow anyway
snow conditions
hahaha not so good for me then NehNeh

Nar from what i have heard most of the snow tomorrow will be up north and wales, i think the south will be relatively "ok" tomorrow. Luton hasn't ground to a halt yet so im hoping ti stops snowing soon, although it isnt settling much in London at the moment.
snow report
A beautiful day for skiing today, sunshine, not too cold and fantastic conditions on piste. The forecast snow did not arrive until about an hour ago.
The glacier was closed today together with most of the lifts up to Roche de Mio due to high winds. This meant that la Source run down into Belle Plagne was extremely quiet, a rare treat.
snow report
Had a great first day skiing today. The conditions were great, when i got here yesterday it was actually pretty warm infact if the taxi cab was to be believed it was +7 degrees. it dropped over night and its been a good day skiing. Only late this afternoon the weather came in and it started snowing. We've been to all ends of La Plagne today and everywhere was top notch on pisted snow wise. I think i've over done it though my legs are killing me Laughing

here a shot i took at the top of the main Gondola from plagne centre.

snow report
Stunning today - a mix of sunshine and cloud depending on what height you're at but fresh snow underfoot. More snow forecast over the next couple of days and then sunshine due on Sat.
latest report
Snow and Sunshine, hope your week is going well.

Today was just amazing, i finally got over my legs burning and found my confedence again. The pistes are wll tracked but it was sunny and very quiet today

latest report
Another stunning day today after last night's snow.
It finished snowing around 9am this morning, I'd say between 10 and 20 cms of fresh snow overnight.
Bad visibility earlier on but it started clearing around 10 am and turned into a beautiful afternoon with blue skies and sunshine later on.
The pistes were in excellent condition with powder conditions on most runs.

The tourist office are reporting snow depths of 220cms at 3200 metres, 140 cms at 2000 metres and 40 cm at 1250 metres. Fresh snow of 17cms overnight.
snow conditions
Pistes felt like April this morning.... rock-'ard/bulletproof!

Another night of warm/rain up high then refreeze it would seem.

Had some interestingly variable conditions down Canadian couloir, with some good skiing mixed with a little crust, followed by creme brulee...

Jim looking solid up high:

Andy P fears no fall-line:

Pete in the soft stuff:
ski holidays
There has been heavy snow for the last couple days in La Plagne, at least 30cms has fallen giving a good covering of powder on and off piste, it is still snowing down in Champagny village. Another 20 cms is forecast for next week with low temperatures to keep it fresh.

It has seemed busier in La Plagne this week but that may be due to the Arpette chairlift being closed due to technical problems on Monday and Tuesday morning.

The pistes in Champagny were quiet today but that could be due to the snow and reduced visibility.

Current snow depths are 270cms at 3200 metres, 160cms at 2000 metres and 50cms at 1250 metres.
latest report
A very cold day in La Plagne today, -23 at Roche de Mio this morning but it is keeping the pistes in excellent condition. Most pistes still have powder with a few hard patches on the busiest slopes.
Today was the first day of Belgium holidays and a few English schools have started their holidays so it seemed a little busier today but no major queues.

It started to snow again this afternoon and the forecast is for light snow up until Tuesday night so plenty of powder around this week.
Some of the regular seasonaires are saying they haven't seen so much powder and that it has been an exceptional season so far, here's hoping it continues.

Current snow depths are 255cms at 3200 metres and 155cms at 2000 metres.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy