Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

FlyBe maximum ski length

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys, I don't know if anyone has noticed this but when booking flights out this winter I was told that the longest skis I could take on the flight would be 167cm, this must be new as I have never had a problem on this route (Southampton - Chambery) or any other route they or any other airline. I've gone ahead and booked the flight anyway but I'll be really surprised if they don't let me take my skis (179cm longest pair). By contrast my brother who is flying out of London with Swiss Air (b***ard) gets free ski and boot allowance. If they do turn down my skis I guess I'm going to have to FedEx/UPS etc them out there....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Its not new, there's been a thread on it here before. I've done exactly the same flight (2 years ago) with my 2m bag and it was no bother, no-one from the airline even seemed to know to check the size of the bag at check in. There is also, I believe, a supposed limit on the number of ski bags they will accept, but our flight had loads on and the ground crew ended up shuffling loads of stuff about and plenty of bootbags etc were stored in cabin lockers as oppoed to the hold.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One of the planes FlyBe us is really small - I have still taken 176 skis on that plane with no issues though. Their other planes should have no problems.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Heightest...!

Why should I be punished for being tall and devilishly handsome....? (and a crap skier with really long ski's....)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
167 is a joke, the only skis that would fit would be slalom skis!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dav wrote:
Its not new, there's been a thread on it here before....

One or two...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1401310
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1337592
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=49795
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35256
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1837931
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would say that the average 737 needs to use the old school, long skinny skis!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Apologies for making a thread on something already discussed! It seems like they say they have the restriction but don't really enforce it, or even know it is their in some cases, I'll let you know if they start getting strict with it!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some airlines (eg. Cathay Pacific & JAL) have already put a restriction on the dimensions of hold baggage - baggage exceeding total dimensions of 203cm (80in) (width + height + length) will incur hefty surcharge.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

167 is a joke, the only skis that would fit would be slalom skis!
Eh? Is this a post from 1992? Toofy Grin Loads of people are skiing shorter than that these days - eg my touring skis are 167 but my piste skis are 162.

I know a 6 ft ace ski coach who skis 158s and swears by them!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Loads of people are skiing shorter than that these days

ahhhh this is making me nostalgic for the good old days of the 220cm ski, "mine are bigger than yours" ... actually now i think about it, i hated it Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Used Flybe from Exeter to Chambery several times and despite ski length limit and number of skis on board have never had a problem going out with 180 skis. Flybe will only guarantee so many skis on flight, probably to give them flexibility, but girl at Exeter said she had not known skis not to get onto the flight. However last year when we arraved at Chambery on the way back there were no skis ... however full marks to Flybe, they were delivered to the door by carrier FOC the following day. This was made particularly enjoyable because a very stroppy woman forced herself past us at Chambery to ensure that her son's skis got on, they took them in, but they didn't arrive at Exeter either ... the little things in life ...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Has anyone had recent experience of flybe and ski's ?

The web guidance says max 170 for the flight I'm on and I'm tempted to take the 170's (measured at 169cm) but wonder how picky they are at the moment. It would be a significant pain to have them bumped off the flight.

"DASH 8 Q400 Maximum length 5ft 6 inches or 1.7 meters"

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 7-02-15 17:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I flew Southampton to Chambery, in a Q400, 3 weeks ago. 184 skis in a 190 bag : no issues Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It is WATER skis that are limited to 167cm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.flybe.com/baggage/exceptional-baggage.htm
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy