Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

powder skis with touring set up - how much of a trade off?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at buying some powder skis (not mad, just 100mm) and looking at either flat alpine bindings or touring (Fritschi not Marker). Initially it ll be resort pow days theyll get used in, but plan to get better and move on to occasional tour (lyngen has my name on it when i get good enough) and bootpacks (so much easier to skin though) over in N America. Sooo, question is how much soft snow performance will I be trading in for the touring set up over the flats?
(Note im pretty small at 5'3" and 51kg in case that make sa difference)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Minimial is my (very limited opinion); lots of people ski on touring set-ups with little issue. I've done a few days cat / heli-skiiing and it isn't uncommon for the guides to have Fritshci bindings or simmilar.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd be very surprised if the choice of binding would make a noticeable difference at all. There are a few differences (less choice of rise above the ski, the rigid bar connect toe and heel), but the impact on skiing performance is negligible. You'd find much more difference in the choice of ski, and choice of boot
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I felt the groomer performance of my 96 mm wide Fisher Misfits improved when I switched from the low profile x14 alpine binding to the raised Marker Duke AT binding. Off piste performance has stayed the same. They are not light to tour on, but I wouldn't have kept up with this guy anyways

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Guess its kinda difficult to tell unless you can ski same ski and boots with the different binding, so thanks fo rhte thoughts so far. Im leaning towards paying a little more and mounting touring bindings and keeping options open for when i become a powder hero wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
MEfree30, any chance you could reduce the size/res of that picture?... it is a wee bit of a screen swallower!

I love powder skiing with my touring bindings. IMO they do make a difference as I certainly feel a little bit higher. For some reason it makes me a bit bouncier, could just be a big placebo though!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flangesax wrote:
MEfree30, any chance you could reduce the size/res of that picture?... it is a wee bit of a screen swallower!

I love powder skiing with my touring bindings. IMO they do make a difference as I certainly feel a little bit higher. For some reason it makes me a bit bouncier, could just be a big placebo though!

ooh bouncy, that sounds like fun, youve sold me on that idea wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I do seem to be in a minority but I hated skiing with Fritschis, I mounted a pair on Volkl Auras, same mounting point as a pair of Mantras I had demoed but I just didn't get on with them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lynseyf wrote:
I do seem to be in a minority but I hated skiing with Fritschis, I mounted a pair on Volkl Auras, same mounting point as a pair of Mantras I had demoed but I just didn't get on with them.

did you try the auras with a fifferent binding as well? - i hear auras are a bit like marmite (not brown and sticky, obviously)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy