Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski.sunwebholidays.com too good to be true?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there. I was wondering if any one has had anydealing with this company? The prices are so ridiculously cheap and include lift passes in most circumstances! For me I feel I can smell a rat!

Would be good to know if any one has booked with them before?

Also were trying to book an apartment for 5 in mayerhofen for 7th Jan, they won't take a credit card and instead want a direct bank transfer which smells a bit fishy!

On another topic if any 1 knows of any apartments/pensions for said dates I'd much appreciate it!

Many thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
For me I feel I can smell a rat

Quote:

Forgive me, but me too.....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh, and welcome to Snowheads. I am sure someone will be along with a more sensible answer to your question soon enough. If you are lucky, they'll also tell you about the 'ignore user' function.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well there's no website at that URL so that would be a strong deterrent I think.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They do seem cheap. Welcome to snowheads.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They seem far too cheap, I've now been checking out a company called discover. Similar scenario require a deposit by bank transfer to secure the booking.

So got in touch witht the tourist office at mayerhofen, the girl there seems to think this is normal practice in Austria...

I just assumed it would be like England, or leave a credit card details to secure the booking and pay on arrival.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry the company is "tiscover" bloody auto correct
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mad_mike, the twice I've booked in Austria we've had to do a bank transfer of 50% for the deposit. I don't think that Austrians live off credit cards like we do.

If you look carefully at the prices on ski.sunholidays.co.uk then they're not cheap at all. As an example, Morzine for 2 people on 7 January (one of the quietest periods of the year) - £619 EACH self-catering, including lift pass, but not flights (as far as I can see).

Cheap? Absolutely not.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quite. There's the odd implausibly cheap offer. Like £49 pp self catering incl. pass... but it's in a place called Massif de Devoluy, and based on four sharing a tiny cabin, and only one week all season is that price (or anything like).

http://ski.sunweb.co.uk/travelinfo/abta.htm No doubt you can check with ABTA.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://ski.sunweb.co.uk/austria/zillertal/mayrhofen/laura_apartments.htm?view=descriptions&objectIndex=2

this is the deal that caught my eye, with this deal we would have flights accom and a lift pass for around £400 pp as the flights are £90 on easy jet.

thats extremely cheap for mayerhofen or am i missing something here.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Laura is on the edge of town.
Google Maps

and the price is per person.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mad_mike, when are you going? Most weeks (e.g. in January) are quite a lot more than that. and you'll struggle to find £90 return flights on Saturdays in the ski season (even if you have no luggage). You will also find it quite expensive to do the transfers if you arrange your own flights.

Those prices are definitely not super cheap. You could match them easily if you DIY a cheap apartment (and not have to walk so far to the lifts, either).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Guvnor wrote:
Quote:
For me I feel I can smell a rat

Quote:

Forgive me, but me too.....

Poor sense of smell?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mad_mike wrote:
Hi there. I was wondering if any one has had anydealing with this company? The prices are so ridiculously cheap and include lift passes in most circumstances! For me I feel I can smell a rat!

Would be good to know if any one has booked with them before?

Also were trying to book an apartment for 5 in mayerhofen for 7th Jan, they won't take a credit card and instead want a direct bank transfer which smells a bit fishy!

On another topic if any 1 knows of any apartments/pensions for said dates I'd much appreciate it!

Many thanks

HI, have used them, Sunweb, would not recommend, they place we stayed at was disgusting, very cheap, and thats what you get, I would not put my dog in the accommodation they use. we cut our holiday short, as the accommodation was awful. we complained but Sunweb didn't want to know. also we lost nearly a day, as they didn't get our ski passes to us, even though we pre booked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A 5 year bump!
latest report
I have booked with Sunweb for Easter, great value. £240.00 per person including pass and ski hire in La Plagne. Good reviews on trustpilot, spoke to them a few times and all sounds good?
snow report
Great last Easter for us , accommodation first class , just turned up at the lift pass station gave them our printout of our booked lift passes , got them, job done.
Rebooked for this Easter , heading down on Friday Smile
latest report
Hi both, I've booked Val Thorens, with Sunweb, for January and was wondering whether your trips went ok? @louiscrow, @Markab1971,
snow conditions
@Langers Utd, I booked with Sunweb in Jan 2014 in Saalbach Austria. All went very well, and I dealt direct with their UK representative: Charlie.Bryant@sunweb.co.uk [not sure if he is still with them].

I went with them, as they were the only company that had apartments in the block I wanted to be in. But as I say, all was good.

But you pays yer money, and you takes your choice. Don't expect to pay a super low price, and stay in lux accommodation.

Most of the accommodation in Val Thorens was built in the 70's and 80's and is now tired to say the least. And it's all very big apartment blocks. Some complaints for these blocks you can see on the web (and or not specific to Sunweb) are: tiny studios, unclean, missing kitchen stuff, broken showers, bad/no wifi, noisy groups of students partying in the halls at 3am etc.

And a studio means just that: double sofa-bed in the lounge, and a twin bunk-bed in the hallway.

Plus, read the small print: extras are final cleaning, linen, towels, tourist tax etc. And most of the apartments will insist on a €400 EUR deposit per unit per stay when you arrive, to ensure you don't cause trouble/noise. Again, there are complaints on the web (not specific to Sunweb) of folks losing their deposits on the whim of the building's management because you have been falsely accused of being noisy. So make sure you pay that deposit with a UK credit card, so you can at least claim it back from the credit card company.

However, it may be that Sunweb have tried their best to make sure their guests are in good apartments; but you will see a big warning in yellow on many of their pages stating that the apartments are privately owned, and so the pictures are only an example. e.g.: your apartment may look like a dump! So the vast majority of apartments are holiday lets from private owners.

The good news? Most apartments are ski-in & ski-out, and may well have a balcony overlooking the mountains. And Val Thorens in the highest resort in Europe and snow is all but guaranteed. And of course the skiing is world-class, with links Meribel and Courchevel etc. It also has an amazing zip wire and a very long toboggan run indeed. Plus great, good value restaurants and a great nightlife.

For future reference, you are better booking direct with a good owner here; who has good reviews:

www.homeaway.co.uk

Then you arrange your own flights and transfers — easy to do. That way you can arrive before lunch and ski on the first Sat, and leave in the late afternoon and ski most of the last Sat! Plus the price will often be better than a package deal.

Maybe see you on the slopes in Val Thorens in January 2017 — as I have two weeks booked from the 7th to the 21st Jan! snowHead

Any more questions, just ask!
ski holidays
Yes, for us the price we paid for Easter was excellent. The process very easy, booking with them again for this year.
latest report
We've booked our fourth half term with for next year. Great, personal friendly service have been very impressed, not always luxury accommodation - that depends on what you choose - but a great deal and we've never had an issue. We usually book an apartment that's bigger than we need i.e. has more beds advertised then we require but the prices are so reasonable that that is doable, even at half term,
snow report
Used them twice, once for a group trip (14 of us) to Les Deux Alpes and then a few years later a cheap trip to Alpe D'Huez. I've no issues with them at all, free lift pass as promised and a really good price.

Some of the cheaper deals are usually to Superdevouly/St Sorlin/Pra L'oup etc, which most likely require a hire car, which puts me off.
latest report
Quote:
Most of the accommodation in Val Thorens was built in the 70's and 80's and is now tired to say the least.
It's true that a lot was - and much of it is still there - but there's been a lot of development over the past 10-15 years and it's all at the upper end of the market: 4* and 5* apartments and hotels.
The Oxalys, our favourite for the EoSB, set the standard and then, since VT's 40th birthday, The Alta Pura, The Hameau du Kashmir, Village Montana Plein Sud, Koh I Nor: all 4 or 5 stars.
snow conditions
@PeDaSp, @louiscrow, @debtors#2, Thank you all for your pointers, I really appreciate the feedback. I'm a lot more comfortable with Sunweb. As for VT, I'm not expecting a twee little village, but instead went for height this year. Having gone to Morzine, same time last year (wk 2 in Jan), where we saw more rain than snow, I'm hoping VT will be snow-sure by then. Does anyone have experience of being there in first half of Jan?
latest report
It's a Dutch company, make sure you are not stuck in the attic.

Duveloy not the biggest resort.

I know people who have had great cheap holidays, but usually as groups to max the value.
snow conditions
@Langers Utd,

Val Thorens in January is about as nailed on as it gets in Europe.
snow conditions
@Norrin Radd, Very Happy
latest report
@admin, You forgot the new Hotel Pashmina 5 star where I am staying in Jan! I didn't want to boast snowHead

They are even replacing the old Stades drag lift with a fancy new chairlift so I can ski back to the hotel at the end of the day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Langers Utd, You are going to be fine. The highest point in Morzine, is around the base village hight in Val Thorens! Plus, VT has glaciers and endless snowmaking.

You can compare the historical base depths here, and VT has a good base, even from the beginning of December.

http://www.onthesnow.co.uk/northern-alps/val-thorens/historical-snowfall.html?&y=0&q=base

http://www.onthesnow.co.uk/northern-alps/morzine/historical-snowfall.html?&y=0&q=base
ski holidays
@PeDaSp, Excellent, thank you for the info. Very useful. I can't wait to get back on the snow!
snow report
I used them a couple of years ago in Mayrhofen for a group of 12. Was great.
latest report
@Disaster, Thank you. I'm feeling good about the booking, thanks to the snowheads. Happy
latest report
Using them for 3 houses in Mayrhofen next year, so far had great service from the London based team, they are very popular for the euro crowd.

p.s I've spoken to our accommodation provider and they have confirmed the booking, so they are legit.
snow conditions
I've booked for 4 of us to stay at the Edenarc Hotel in Les Arcs 1800 8th April 2017.

I'm always a little suspicious of companies I've never heard of, and are cheaper than the rest but I've taken the jump. It's reassured me a little now having read of recent dealings with them.

I've paid the deposit online (visa debit), received the invoice and can either bank transfer or debit/credit card the balance.

Fingers crossed for the rest of our experience with them!
ski holidays
@Lvl_chg, I'm sure you will have a great time. That accommodation has great reviews:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1118194-d2476228-Reviews-Residence_Prestige_Odalys_Edenarc-Les_Arcs_Bourg_Saint_Maurice_Savoie_Auvergne_Rhone_.html

Always try and pay at least a deposit of £100 on your UK credit card. That way, under UK consumer law, you are covered for THE FULL amount if anything goes wrong.

This protection often extends to debit cards, but it's debatable if those really cover you. Also, many travel insurance policies these days will cover you if the services you book (flights, accommodation etc.) go bust.
snow report
@Lvl_chg, I'm going to Val Thorens I. January, so I will report back. I'm feeling more confident now.
latest report
@Langers Utd, What is the name of your accommodation in VT?
latest report
Langers Utd wrote:
@Lvl_chg, I'm going to Val Thorens I. January, so I will report back. I'm feeling more confident now.

Cheers that would be much appreciated! Smile
snow conditions
Winners of the World SKi Awards----Best Ski Tour Operator 2015. Don't think you can get better than that?
ski holidays
@Old Man Of Lech, Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy