Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France - Historically when is best to go?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey everyone,

Myself and a group of friends are currently in the process of booking a week somewhere in France (porbably 3V's). We are looking to book somewhere in between the 1st Jan to mid Feb.

We want to avoid school holidays but also get the best snow possible...so when is best to go? Is February normally better or worse than Jan in the 3 V's?

Also, is there anywhere in the Alps (reasonably priced) that is well renowned for decent snow?

Anyway, any input appreciated.

NB
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NomadicBoo wrote:
Hey everyone,

Myself and a group of friends are currently in the process of booking a week somewhere in France (porbably 3V's). We are looking to book somewhere in between the 1st Jan to mid Feb.

We want to avoid school holidays but also get the best snow possible...so when is best to go? Is February normally better or worse than Jan in the 3 V's?

Also, is there anywhere in the Alps (reasonably priced) that is well renowned for decent snow?

Anyway, any input appreciated.

NB
go for the probably 3v,s, stay in La Tania for a more affordable stay
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Most of the school holidays are in february, but i don't know the dates. I've stayed in La Tania in mid january and had great conditions, also prices are a little cheaper than february.

I'd go for late Jan/early Feb but check the french holiday dates.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.igluski.com/france/courchevel-snow-history_23521

http://www.igluski.com/france/val-thorens-snow-history_3178

You can do searches for other places on that page as well.

Feb is more snowy.

Having been in Courchevel last year, I'd jump at the chance to go back, but i'd stay in La Tania as it's cheaper, has a great location and some of the local skiing is sublime.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm pretty sure the school holiday season for most of Europe is Feb 11th through to the 3rd March this year.
I'm booked on a boys trip over the weekend of Feb 4th in La Plagne Happy Haven't told the missus yet. I think I'll wait until after the PSB Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
NomadicBoo, French school holidays are staggered through February into early March, and some of them coincide with UK and other European holidays. You are better to look at January, through to first week of Feb and then second week of March onwards. Better prices, less crowded, quieter roads from the airport - we always ski around 3rd week of January and have traditionally had excellent snow. Drop me a PM if I can help Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Historically? I would say before 1789.

I'll get my coat....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some great advice there guys so thanks very much. I'm going to share this link with my friends so they can all have a read but I'm thinking last week in Jan should be good!

Cheers again, NB
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I'm pretty sure the school holiday season for most of Europe is Feb 11th through to the 3rd March this year.

the French winter holidays last for four weeks, starting this year on 11 February.

Historically the best week for snow is probably the week immediately preceeding - though that's also a fairly busy week, as it's the logical choice for all French skiers without kids!! Or not before 10 March, when snow would also normally be absolutely fine, and the days a bit longer.

End January will be cheaper than either early February or mid March, but The 3 Valleys is about the most expensive place to ski in France. There are loads of cheaper places (but probably not the Espace Killy ) wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Seconded.

I've always thought January is the best time - often the weeks after New Year are low season and so are much cheaper than the expensive February weeks, tends to be much quieter as well! Generally the weather is a bit colder and less sunny, but the snow is usually better.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
New Year and early Jan can be VERY cold. I've experienced -20c plus windchill above Meribel and it's not pleasant. Feb should be better. Snow is probably better statistically in Feb.

Prices in the first week after New Year are probably the best especially if you book late and get a deal.

School holidays are busy but I''ve had pistes to myself in 3v's during half-term. You just have to getout to the areas furthest from the villages.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I just booked a week in Val Thorens from 14th Jan - we initially wanted to go last end of Jan (departing 28th IIRC), but found it saved us ~£150 pp to move it back to the 14th. Moving into Feb was stupidly expensive. The cheapest possible week was the week directly after New Year (excepting the first and last weeks of the season), unfortunately we couldn't go then.

I haven't skiied 3V before so I'm pretty excited. Thinking Italy next year though.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd say the early April cornfest is usually one of the Alp's pleasures.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You'll love the 3Vs. Val T was great for the ski in and ski out but I found Merribel and Courchevel to be more aesthetically pleasing Wink

The best thing about the 3Vs (as you're probably aware) is the 3 valleys lift pass - make sure to have a blast over to Courchevel 1650 there are plenty of good runs and views along the way! Smile Just make sure your on the lifts back early enough to get back over to Val T!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you get a penny by counting a visitor to 3V go there in the middle of Feb!
ski holidays
Right, had a chat with everyone and it seems we're looking at last week of February...hopefully the coverage will be good!

So, I've been assigned the task of finding some decent deals...where do you guys normally book for large groups, catered chalets? Also, it's been opened up in terms of location so I'll be looking at France, Austria and Italy.

The budget is roughly £600 each - is that reasonable all in price for end of Jan?

Cheers,

NB
latest report
Quote:

last week of February

Hmm. Paris holiday, isn't it? Wouldn't be my choice. Do you mean last week of January?
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

last week of February

Hmm. Paris holiday, isn't it? Wouldn't be my choice. Do you mean last week of January?

Don't do it Shocked Unless you have to of course Toofy Grin I'm just trying to get my own head around a possible half term trip for us feb '13.
ski holidays
Ahhhhh mistake, mistake, mistake! Puzzled

Meant last week of January! Damn multi-tasking.

NB
snow report
NomadicBoo, Laughing OK, what does your budget have to include? If it's everything, that's pretty tight, especially for the 3 Valleys.
latest report
Not neccesarily everything. I think catered chalet, flights, transfers and lift pass. Can do the ski hire online seperately (I prefer that otherwise you get bog standard equipment thrown in!).

As I said, open to look at anywhere in France, Austria and Italy now. Just need a good sized ski area as there are some fairly proficient skiers amongst us and a decent apres ski as most people are 26-32 so do enjoy a few bevvies! Very Happy

NB
ski holidays
NomadicBoo, You will be unlikely to get all that, in 3V (even the lower priced areas) for £600. Lift pass alone is around 250 euros for full area, transfers vary but around £70 return, flights around £100 - doesn't leave much for accommodation and food. Local lift pass will bring it down a bit, you MAY get flights for less but remember to include baggage costs, and you may shave a bit off the transfers but - realistically - you are going to need to increase your budget - sorry to be the bearer of bad news Sad
snow conditions
NomadicBoo, you'll be lucky to find a catered chalet, flights transfers and lift pass for that price in the 3 Valleys at the end of January. If you want to go to the 3 Valleys this might be your best bet - all in, less than £600 - you only need beer money. http://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/hol_valthorens_UCPAAutonomePlus_28-1-2012_0.aspx
latest report
Hey guys and gals.

Soooo....I made a mistake on the money front (as most of you already pointed out!). It's £600 for flight, transfers and catered chalet....not including ski pass! rolling eyes

So, what's the best website for booking? I'm looking at Igluski at the moment.

Cheers,

NB
ski holidays
sanman wrote:
Historically? I would say before 1789.

I'll get my coat....

I was going to suggest 1415. wink
ski holidays
Alastair Pink, Very Happy of course!
snow report
Historically speaking NOT the day before the Germans / English / Spannish / (insert any country here) invade Laughing
ski holidays
Ok enough with the history comments! Very Happy

How about someone points me in the direction of the best website to book. Historically speaking. Toofy Grin

NB
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NomadicBoo, You have a PM
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy