Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz for beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Off to Morzine in the new year, and the kids are booked into an Avoriaz ski school in the afternoons. Wondering about the best place to ski with them in the mornings. The meeting point is by the Prodains cable car, so we need to be there, fed and watered, for 2pm.

So - two questions: is it feasible to ski at Pleney in the morning and then get up to Avoriaz for the afternoon? Not having been there I'm not sure how much of a faff it is to get across from Pleney to Prodains - bus, I assume?

And secondly, is we were to go up to Avoriaz for the morning, where's a good place to ski for second week skiers (but it's a while since they went, so it'll be almost starting from scratch)? And is the Prodains cable car the best way up there? I can see what looks like a long green run under a lift called "proclou" - do you access that from Prodains?

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads andy from embsay.

From the sound of your group then your best route up to Avoriaz will be up the Super Morzine bubble. This take you to the Zore chairlift, which takes you to a very gentle run over to Proclou.

There are two gentle runs from the top of the Zore chair and back down to the top of Super Morzine. There are a couple of restaurants for pit-stops at the top of the Super Morzine and one at the top of Zore. One run is directly under the Zore chair and has two entrances - one directly under the chair and an (even) easier entrance if you turn right off the chair and right again at the restaurant. The second run cuts off to skier's right from near the top of the chair.

The runs tend to be fairly quiet during the day as they're "transit" routes and I often use them for drills because they're quiet.

From the top of Proclou, if you turn right, keep right and ski straight on through town you'll get to the top of the Prodains cable car. The run down under the Proclou lift is also a nice, gentle run that ski schools use a lot. To get to this run you turn right off the lift, keep right and then drop down to the right through the beginner's area with the drag lifts. Your heading for a tunnel through a bridge.

From the tope of Proclou then you can head over into the Linderats bowl, but the runs are a little longer and steeper (even the blues). You'll be fine there once you've got your legs back, but I'd suggest avoiding one day one.

From the bottom of Super Morzine, up Zore, across to Proclou and down to Prodains would take me about 20-25 minutes, but I wouldn't need to think about the skiing on the way.

There is a "little train" that connects the bottom of Pleney with the Super Morzine lift and it leaves every 10-15 minutes with a 5 minute journey time. You can walk between the two in 10 minutes (maybe 15 if the kids are small). It's eminently possible to ski on Pleney in the morning and then transfer over, but I'd advise you get happy with the route over first.

If you're looking for somewhere good and cheap to eat that the kids will enjoy then I'd recommend Chanabang, which is just by the top of the Prodains cable car. As you stand with your back to the cable car then look for the two restaurants on the left - one with red chairs and the other with yellow chairs. Changabang is just to the right of these two restaurants where the side road comes in. Good value sandwiches, burgers, chilli, fries. A sandwich and fries will do two kids and cost around 8-10 euros. Best of all, service is quick and the guys running the place are extremely cheerful and helpful.

Hope that helps.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's brilliant! Thanks - just what I needed to know. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
No problem andy from embsay. Enjoy your trip.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh - another question - lift passes. I think the adults will all get PdS area passes as we're reasonably competent, but what's the best option for kids? I'm not sure what the Morzine pass covers - but obviously they need something to get them up to Avoriaz and wherever the ski school takes them.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
andy from embsay, the Morzine/Les Gets pass doesn't cover Avoriaz. Personally, I'd get them an Avoriaz pass and skip skiing in Morzine.

Your call, of course, on whether you need a PdS pass, but if you're dropping the kids off at 14:00 (and presumably picking them up at 16:00?) then that doesn't give you a heap of time to get over to Switzerland or Chatel to get your money's worth.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've actually gone ahead and got PdS passes - I can't see how to get a 6 day Avoriaz pass, and there's 10% off the PdS ones at the moment. I'll definitely want the flu area as we've got quite a few adults with us, so should be able to get a couple of full days in - plus ski school is 3 hours. Thanks again for your help.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No problem andy from embsay.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andy from embsay, 6 day Avoriaz passes are available but only through your booking agent or tour operator (if they have the abikity to pre-book passes with the Aviaz lift office). However you have done the right thing by getting PDS passes. Did you get the family discount??
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
andy from embsay, I would certainly get the full PDS lift pass. If may be more but its a great area to explore!!! In the Ardent/Linderets valley the blue run called Abricotine is a great gentle long blue. The hardest part is the very last bit as it can got really chopped up and a bit of a mogul field at certain times, but if it is really bad, you can ride the Gondola down! This run is where i was tought and its brilliant for beginners. They also get to go to one of the highest parts of the PDS all the way right down, so some great vertical as well. Hope you enjoy, im sure you will.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No family discount as I'm taking them on my own so unless I join up with my mate who's also leaving his mrs at home we couldn't get it, but there's 10% disco for booking early - so mine was €196 and the kids were €145 each, which is the same saving as the family discount. I couldn't see any way of getting family discount as well as the early booker (someone'll tell me you can in a minute!) so decided to bite the bullet and book 'em.

Thanks for the tips - just have to hope for good snow now. I see it snowed the other day in Avoriaz.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy