Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best ski for advanced all mountain skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Basically, I want it all. I have the opportunity to buy new skis for this season, but only one set, and I want them to do as much as possible as well as possible. Pretty much what everyone wants.

I ski just about every type - on/off piste, bumps, groomers, powder, backcountry - but can only afford one set of skis to cover the full range. I don't race and I don't do a lot in the park, yet. I'd like them to be pretty capable in all situations yet still quite playful and not all hard work.

With my limited knowledge of equipment I have narrowed this down to the Volkl Mantra, Volkl Kendo or Salomon Twenty-Twelve (within my price range). Can anybody advise? Also, any bindings recommendations?

I'm 5'10, about 85kg, and normally ski 177-181cm.

Thanks in advance; I realise I have asked for the unattainable, ultimate ski that everyone is seeking.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll open with Rossi S3. (Which I now realise isn't in your list!)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
New Mantra does look brilliant. Dynastar Sultan 94/Sixth Sense Slicer/Legend Pro 105 too. The Moment PB&J has had a few good reviews. Line Prophet 98, Armada TST?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mantra, good choice. Kendo a bit weak in the limited environment we tested (Braehead). Salomon, do they make skis?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bargain right here I'm not selling them, but that's dirt cheap and I use a pair as my "do it all"
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
apeman241, I have a vested Interest here but

The 2012 is a super piece of kit you will sacrifice prehaps a little more on piste at high speed carving than you might want but off it they are superb in every condition.

Mantra's are a sweet ski and the biggest compliment I can pay them is I have never heard any one say a bad word about them!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fattes13 wrote:

Mantra's are a sweet ski and the biggest compliment I can pay them is I have never heard any one say a bad word about them!

Was about to say exactly the same. No opinion on the new ones, but mine are from 09/10, great ski
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
only negative i've ever heard about mantras is that their a bit stiff in the bumps and powder.

New Prophet 98 looks a good option and worth considering.

Do you have any plans to get into skinning anywhere to get to off piste patches, if so, check out a couple of the K2 adventure series.

What's the budget and do they need to be this years model?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If I was really looking for a single all round ski with good performance on piste and moguls, I'd be keeping it under 90mm underfoot. If your more piste than off, head back towards 80mm IMHO.....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
shoogly, no issue in bumps, haven't tried them in powder yet but sis-in-law has and loves em.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all for the response. I think I am gravitating towards the Mantra as it seems to offer the best all round package.

Shoogly, no plans to start skinning as yet but certainly something I may look to do in future. Doesn't necessarily need to be this year's but I will probably buy the newest version available; unless there is any reason not to?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
apeman241, i would+ the mantra to top ski if you are a strong skiers you will love it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
apeman241 wrote:
Doesn't necessarily need to be this year's but I will probably buy the newest version available; unless there is any reason not to?

only because it can save you a good couple £100s if you buy last years model that has a different top sheet. Mind you, a lot of skis now have a bit of rocker coming in this year (the Prophet being one) which makes such a difference when you're skiing variable conditions so probably worth spending extra for that. Plenty skis out last year though that had rocker as well.

I know that the K2 Hardside is €200 cheaper on sport conrad for last years model - same ski as this years. Great ski but may not be what you're after.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shoogly, the Mantra got rocker and extra width for this season.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've had a look at the ski review on Winter sports.com... it might help you choose what's right for you....every little helps!
snow report
apeman241, Mantra 100%, me and good pal ski them 184cm, I'm on my 2nd pair and they are great with Marker Dukes. They need driving hard, but are a go anywhere ski......love 'em.
snow conditions
clarky999, 10-11 132-98-118, 11-12 133-96-116, only 1-2mm difference, and its just a rockered tip for 11-12.

Still some 10-11 good deals about Ski Bartlett etc.
snow report
I have last seasons Salmon twentytwelves and I use them almost every day, from fresh powder to end of season slush, in the park and just getting about, I can't recommend them highly enough although I haven't tried the others.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy