Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Moritz

Poster: A snowHead
Have the opportunity to go out for work and am thinking of tucking a weekend on the end, any suggestions on budget accommodation, for early December?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think that Budget and St Moritz is an oxymoron!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
radar, there's a youth hostel.... jugendherberge. An absolute bargain at only 60 francs for a bed in a mixed dorm.....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you want to take a step up from the youth hostel, try staying in an outlying town. Pontresina and Sils Maria are good bets. There are very nice 2 and 3 star hotels in both places at more reasonable rates than in St. Moritz. You end up riding a bus to get to lifts no matter where you stay so it's not a big inconvenience. Plus both are very nice spots. Pontresina gets the nod in my book.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pontresina, definitely.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, found the youth hostel, looks pretty good and its half board, there are three of us, so a four bedded room looks a bargain.
choucas, will have a look we are there Friday and Saturday night, but realistically will only get a days skiing, we are there the second weekend of December, an Pontresina seems to be closed according to the cable time table on their site
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That time of year, you might be able to just name your price. Look around the tourist office site for any pacgage that might put you in a nicer place for the same money, like lift pass included in deal for 99 frnc I once managed in Easter. Happy

Colin B wrote:
I think that Budget and St Moritz is an oxymoron!

As long as most people think that, the slopes of St Moritz will stay nice and quiet. :

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 20-10-11 14:39; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
radar wrote:
choucas, will have a look we are there Friday and Saturday night, but realistically will only get a days skiing, we are there the second weekend of December, an Pontresina seems to be closed according to the cable time table on their site

Puzzled there is a nice hotel right by the station in Pontresina so you can hop on the train up to Diavolezza (which will definitely be open and is a beautiful ride) or into St Moritz itself
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have just read (in Skiing Heritage magazine) that Johannes Badrutt of the Kulm Hotel in St. Moritz offered free winter accomodation to English guests (if the sun didn't shine). That was in 1864, though, so it may not help you and I suspect that the prices have risen since then. The story of this offer, claimed to be the start of winter tourism, can be found here.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno wrote:

Puzzled there is a nice hotel right by the station in Pontresina so you can hop on the train up to Diavolezza (which will definitely be open and is a beautiful ride) or into St Moritz itself

Quite!

Diavolezza is definitely the place to go for best snow that time of year. And it's just as easy to get there from St. Moritz or from Pontresina.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno, I agree, think it must be a typo, looking at the Youth hostel its a pretty good price and half board
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
radar, here's the hotel i was talking about
even if you don't stay there, the pizzas are worth checking out - some of the best i have had (and I have had a lot of pizza in my time!)

http://www.station-pontresina.ch/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno, snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was at the Hostelling International youth hostel in December 2005. I did not spend the night in the hostel, instead choosing to sleep in their car park. Car parking is very expensive in St Moritz, yet it is free in the youth hostel car park.

I had a cup of coffee there, but I think you are required to stay a minimum number of nights (I only stayed one) and you are also required to eat the food they cook. The price was reasonable in 2005 given the exchange rate, but I expect it is pricey now.

However, the Swiss franc is now trading at 1.4 to £ which is not bad for recent rates and so if you can pay and book up front it would be good to bag that price (it can move very fast).

The hostel is in an edge of town location, requiring a fair walk to the centre. It is a flat walk though, and should not tax most skiers. The nearest supermarket is the Co-op which is a good size but again is a good 20 mins walk from the hostel.

Probably the cheapest place in town. It is nice though!

wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno, the time table wasn't wrong "(No operation from 26.11.11-10.2.12 due to revision and installation of a new aerial cable car)" I'm there 9&10!
pam w, yes spotted that as well, have gone for it as there are three of us, seems like a bargain
snow conditions
radar, Shocked
Corvatsch will probably be open... I hope
ski holidays
Arno, Should be, most of St Moritz should be open by end of November fingers cross, or its going to cost a lot in beer and Sambuca shots!

Should have added that its £273.00 for two nights half board between three snowHead

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 24-10-11 10:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
St Moritz is pretty high (the village is something like 6000'). So SOMETHING will be open.
snow conditions
Quick review, the Youth hostel turned out to be a bargain £91.00 for two nights in a room that took 4 and it was half board, the breakfast was OK lots of cheese, ham break cereal coffee and tea, evening meal was salad starter or soup, main course, and pudding.

Did the night skiing at Corvatsch on the first night bit of a walk to the bus, skied Corviglia about 12 runs open, its a short walk to the bus into down, but on Sunday the no9 bus started right from outside the hotel.

Burger and chips with a drink in the restaurant at the top of the funicular was about SFR24.00 each.

Beer in the youth hostel was SFR5.00 for half a liter.
snow conditions
radar, so what did you think of the skiing?
snow conditions
Nice to see someone managed to ski St Moritz on the cheap.
ski holidays
Steilhang, What was open was limited and what as open was fairly easy nothing to challenging, the red from the very top Piz Nair, nor any of the runs into signal wasn't open really enjoyed the night skiing, the other great thing was there were no idiots around only locals, so no worries about being run into or out of control skiers (well apart from me and my mate) felt a bit out of place on my old ski's definitely time buy those head magnums would have fitted right in
snow conditions
A bit more on my stay sorry its been a bit piece meal, chose the youth hostel on cost wanted to do a cheap ski weekend, what a bargain, the hostel is clean modern, the reception, sitting area and TV room would not look out of place in a three star hotel. There are a variety of rooms from bunk bed rooms to doubles with on suite. The rate included half board, breakfast had a good selection from breads, yoghurt, cereal, fruit juice and coffee, the evening meal is a simple but good meal and three courses. The hostel has large lockers that you can store bag's in which is great for early arrival or late departure. Durning the ski season the No9 bus stops right outside the hostel and connects with the two main ski areas and the rail station. If you want to do the night skiing at Corvatsch its about a 15 minute walk to the bus stop, though you can get the 9 depending on the time. There's not much to do around the hostel so we grabbed a beer or wine an relaxed in the hostel.

The staff are great very helpful sorted out our lift pass, drew maps for us, nothing was too much trouble.

I do wish we had known that you could get towels from reception rolling eyes
snow conditions
radar,

Your cost of staying at a youth hostel can demolish the thred
ski holidays
saikee, yep, been on that one to, to be honest anything up a mountain ain't going to be cheap no matter where you go.
snow report
radar, glad it worked out so well! Haven't stayed in a Swiss youth hostel for many a year, but I remember them with pleasure from the '60s - especially the little Heidi ones in mountain chalets. Sounds like St Moritz is a bit more sophisticated.
snow conditions
pam w, Its my new discovery, they have certainly moved up since I last stayed in one, gone are the days when you needed to do a task before you could leave!

Oh and the WiFi was free as well.
snow report
I stayed at the hotel monopol on the main roundabout just above some shops. It was a nice place with a spa and wellness centre on the roof with a view over the racecourse. It wasn't too bad price wise and there was car parking in a multi storey across the roundabout thrown in by the hotel. All in all good value for the resort. Also, walking up the hill there was a cheap (relatively) pizza joint that was pretty good.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy