Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Length - Does it really matter for a weeks recreational skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been offered a pair of Salomon X wing 4's. They are 155cm which is shorter than the rentals I would normally ski (170cm, I am 180cm in height and weigh 200lbs). I appreciate shorter skis will be less stable at speed but I am no speed demon, quite happy to cruise down blues and reds with the wife and kids. So, should I go for the x wings (they will cost me virtually nothing) or will they be more of a hinderance?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They are a very soft (beginner/intermediate) ski. That in combination with the short length is no good for a bloke of your height and weight - you'll wonder where the grip's gone.

I probably ski at a higher level than you but am almost the same size (179cm/195lbs) and would never go below 170cm for a piste ski unless it was a high end slalom ski. All my favourite skis have been around 177cm. You should be somewhere in between.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Too short, you'll loose grip on ice, be knocked around by 'lumpy snow' and be less stable at speed!

But take them anyhow, flog them on ebay, and use the profit to buy a longer pair Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nah, no worries. Length is of no importance.

Do the colours match your suit however?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Long skis make you look pro.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name,

Oooh so provocative! love it! wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name, suit? really? Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
el nombre wrote:
Long skis make you look poo.

Fixed Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been using a pair of 162cm's for indoor use, but have 170's that I will use when I get abroad. I feel like I can get away with a shorter ski indoors, but I would be wary of instability given my height/weight when going a little quicker down a wider, steeper and more open piste.

Essentially, I find shorter ski's great fun indoors but I'd be aiming for something a bit more in-tune with my height rather than taking what was available. Especially if they are quite soft.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy