Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Atomic/Solomon bindings to rival the Duke

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.pitchengine.com/pitch/179977/

Salomon and Atomic Proudly Present The Next Generation of Backcountry Bindings: Built Lower, Wider and More Convenient*

10.17.2011– Ogden, UT--With more and more skiers looking for escape in the mountains, seeking untracked snow and an intense way to experience nature, Salomon and Atomic are excited to introduce a new backcountry binding in the fall/winter of 2012, poised to become the benchmark for all snow adventurers.

What happens when the world’s two leading winter sports brands bring together their most creative experts and athletes to develop a backcountry binding? The result is the next generation of freeride performance. The new SALOMON Guardian 16 and ATOMIC Tracker 16 feature unique advantages for every outing into the backcountry.

UNMATCHED SKIING PERFORMANCE
This new premium binding, to be sold as the SALOMON Guardian 16 and the ATOMIC Tracker 16, will change the way skiers approach and enjoy the backcountry. It is designed to provide the highest level of confidence, efficiency, and feel in downhill performance for a heightened skiing experience. The binding’s Low Profile Chassis features a lower stand height for greater stability and enhanced terrain feedback, and the Oversized Platform enables maximum power transmission and responsiveness for quick and more precise turns.

HIKE & RIDE TECHNOLOGY FOR PRACTICAL AND INTUITIVE HANDLING
By offering the most convenient and time-saving transition from hiking to riding, the binding helps enable a better experience in the mountains. Beyond its greater transition efficiency, this design also helps reduce the hazards and inconvenience involved in taking off your skis on difficult terrain. Featuring the Hike & Ride Switch, which is easily engaged with your ski pole, it is no longer necessary to remove your skis when switching between hiking and riding modes. After climbing, simply use your ski pole to flip the climbing bar to skiing position, step down with your heel until the binding locks securely into place, and you are ready for the turns you’ve just earned. Above all, the new Salomon Guardian 16 and Atomic Tracker 16 bindings provide the power, precision and on-snow feel of a high-performance free ride binding, with the benefits of a very convenient hiking system.

The SALOMON Guardian 16 and ATOMIC Tracker 16 will be available in the fall of 2012 and will set the standard for the ultimate backcountry skiing experience. Above all, the new binding maximizes skiing performance, is extremely practical and adds new meaning to enjoying the backcountry skiing experience. The SALOMON Guardian 16 and ATOMIC Tracker 16 will be offered for the same recommended retail price and will be identical both technically and functionally.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can switch from "hike to ride" with my fritschi freerides? BUT no matter what binding you have when going from "hike to ride" there's the slight issue of removing skins. I've seen one skier remove skins without taking skis off but he was a ski touring pro with very flexible legs. What price?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Look at the rear heel locking system, the four teeth, now i'm sorry to say this is not a wide platform. The Blue arms in the boot center look like they could be subject to a fair amount of torque play, is the toe piece going to allow for height adjustment?
My first concerns, we'll have a pair in the next few weeks, smash smash smash! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This announcement is really poor timing, it will not so much effect Marker as the bindings will have been delivered to retailers, the retailers, like us will for sure miss sales as people wait to hear reviews and decide if Duke derived bindings are still the number one choice. In essence Salomon might end up pi$$ing off alot of retailers! Another poor PR exercise from Salomon???
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's been an open secret for a while hasn't it though since Cody Townsend has been skiing them all last season. Not really a PR fail for Amer, if anything they can claim that after screwing up the Quest low tech they are getting everything perfect before releasing to the public. And why do they care if they disrupt Marker's sell through, if the bindings are good there will be plenty wanting them so pissed off retailers will have to decide if they want that business.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, interesting points about the marketing/timing. Would be good if they talked to their outlets first to discuss things like this.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob, rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
...and I thought Amer wanted to wee wee off retailers - why else have they started a direct online distribution channel?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, Have they?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://skiingbusiness.com/6328/profiles/why-amer-sports-will-sell-direct/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, rolling eyes Never been a popular brand for me, continues to show us why! But to be honest think everything will eventually go this way, so we need as always to move adapt and push on! Feel bad for all the big retailers out there that have backed Salomon during their "we only make shite" phase.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
waynos wrote:
I can switch from "hike to ride" with my fritschi freerides? BUT no matter what binding you have when going from "hike to ride" there's the slight issue of removing skins. I've seen one skier remove skins without taking skis off but he was a ski touring pro with very flexible legs. What price?

Quite. It's just a dig at the Markers. It's a complete red herring. OK, there is perhaps one use for this feature, and it's not what they say on their site, but if you need to side step to get around an obstacle, then maybe, just maybe you'd want to lock the binding. In reality I doubt even that is a valid reason for doing it, I've never done it with mine. You can just as easily argue (as Marker probably do) that not being able to do this is a safety feature.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weights?

I assume the pivot is very similar to Dukes/Barons?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This has to be a great thing. Competition for the Duke will mean even more improvements in durability, weight and cost. Win for the consumer.

Looks like it's going to be good. I'm looking forward to the lower stack height. Townsend has been saying the new toe is awesome. Bring it on.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Townsend has been saying the new toe is awesome.

Wow a Salomon skier said that! Massive sales point, I doubt he's paid to say stuff like that! Laughing
snow report
parlor, I also doubt he's ever tried a Duke derived binding.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Quote:

Townsend has been saying the new toe is awesome.

Wow a Salomon skier said that! Massive sales point, I doubt he's paid to say stuff like that! Laughing

Cody wouldn't lie to me. OK?

Wink
snow report
Despite their faults Salomon have always made the best ski bindings.

These will almost certainly kick ass, even if SZK has a sandy-vadge about amer group.
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Despite their faults Salomon have always made the best ski bindings.....

Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

sandy-vadge

ROFL
latest report
Possibly a stupid question, but I assume these will take a traditional touring boot i.e. a Vibram sole?

Also, any news on if there will be ski crampons to fit? I remember touring with someone who bought some Markers when they first came out and was unable (at the time) to get crampons, and obviously the Fritschi specific toys didn't work.
snow report
I've heard the Atomic version is even better than the Salomon.

sah, that's the plan: the toe has an adjustable height feature that will allow for both Vibram & ISO / DIN soles. I'm sure crampons will be available and probably at around the same time the bindings are released, given the timing.
ski holidays
parlor wrote:
I've heard the Atomic version is even better than the Salomon.

The blurb from Salomon says that they are functionaly identical, so other than being a different colour I don't see how.

Quote:

sah, that's the plan: the toe has an adjustable height feature that will allow for both Vibram & ISO / DIN soles. I'm sure crampons will be available and probably at around the same time the bindings are released, given the timing.

Makes sense, cheers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy