Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France stopover on New Years Eve - what to do?

Poster: A snowHead
Bad planning on the work front means we'll be driving back from Flaine on New Years Eve.
Rather than drive straight through, we were wondering whether to stopover en route and enjoy the festivities.
Having only spent French New Year in resort, is this a good idea or worthwhile?
If so, what can we expect?
Also, any suggestions on good places to stay within range of Calais?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not done a New Year in France but would expect anywhere near Reims would be OK as it is around 2.5 hours to Calais, after a 5-6 hour drive from Flaine, which is our usual stopover returning from Les Carroz. Many of the budget hotels tend to be out of town on retail parks or similar so may be a bit dull. Could be a good idea to find a B&B in a village when most people would be in their local and perhaps more welcoming.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
4 years ago we spent new years eve in Albertville and, with the exception of an Indian restaurant, found every bar and restaurant closed! Shocked

We were horrified and stumbled across the Indian after we had just about given up on finding anything to eat!

I'm not sure if that was typical of France but I'm sure someone will be along soon to comment.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
janner, there's the Bristol Hotel in the centre of Reims which would be right in the middle of the festivities.Reasonably priced rooms.
Not sure what would be open though, and you would probably need to book things that were. I suspect Chambre d'Hotes to be closed.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We are staying near Calais on new year, and taking food with us as we have been told that there is no repas at the b and b.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Most French spend NY with family - you probably won't find the same sort of festivities you would find in the UK
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Might be best to get an early night ready for the drive the next day.... wink You might need to make your own festivities. I suspect New Year's Eve in most French towns and cities is very like it was in most English towns and cities 40 years ago - very, very, quiet. NYE as a big noisy drunken bash is a pretty recent invention in England (though not, of course, in Scotland.....).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
janner, if you book into a hotel with a nice restaurant they may be doing a special meal.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
janner,NYE: We always have celebrations in Samoens which are fun, but hardly a stop off on the way home and although Geneva will be even busier, once again it's very close. Have you considered Dijon? Restaurants and night life there are pretty good with a few excellent bands that play locally.
You will need to book well ahead if you plan to eat a semi-decent meal.

Alternatively enjoy the celebration in Geneva sans beers – and then simply hit the motorway around 02:00?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd recommend stopping in Reims. Stay in the area near Rue D'Erlon where there are plenty of decent restaurants. However check in advance that restaurants will be open that evening.

Reims is 2 1/2 hrs from the channel tunnel so you would not have far to go the next day.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We are New Zealanders running a B and B in a gorgeous old farmhouse 'Aupres de l'eglise' in Champagne 3 hours from Calais, 30 mins from Epernay, 1 hour south of Reims...if you ever fancy a Stopover on the way to the Alps we come with a good reputation for great large stylish comfortable rooms with the option of lovely home cooked evening meals by the open fire accompanied by a glass of Champagne! As popular with families as we are with couples...also listed with Sawdays Special Places to Stay...an option at any time of the year as we are open although the Ski season. We have many clients from Samoens and hope to build our Ski Stopover reputation. Contact us, Mike and Glenis, via our website www.champagnevilla.com
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
aupresdeleglise, Looks lovely..have made a note for when I want somewhere to stay on my way to Switz. Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
janner, You are likely to find everything either closed or fully booked. If you do it, try city centre (eg Reims), book a restaurant well in advance and be prepared to pay a lot for festive New Year meal.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowHead Laughing Thread revival from 2011 I see.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We spent last NY in pas de calais, went for a meal out , and did not see a soul outside all evening in 2 town centers. Patch was right, they all spend time with family.
ski holidays
janner, give France a miss and go to Austria. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
In case anyone was wondering, we found a great deal for a 4* hotel just outside Saint Quentin. Unfortunately we found out why it was cheap - the restaurant was closed on New Year!
After searching around for somewhere to eat (even McDonalds was closed) we ended up at the only place open - a takeaway friterie in the town square.
Not what we thought but in hindsight it was fun sitting eating chips with the kids in the deserted town square
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy