Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Freeride / Touring week for really experienced skiers...

Poster: A snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,
I'd be keen depending on dates.
I live in Switzerland, ski minimum 30+days a year off lifts or touring. Often andermatt, Engelberg or cham. Have also done 3 trips to lyngen alps touring, self supported. I've done avi and mountain safety courses (including crevasse rescue) and first aid courses.
Always keen to meet new folk to ski with
Keep in touch,
James
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

cruising big lines at top speed from top to bottom! Shocked

We have undertaken 4 ski tours so far (including the Haute Route), each time with a different guide.

While we like to ski quickly the guides have always emphasised that ski touring is a far cry from piste skiing and that any accident could have very serious (or fatal) consequences as help (if any is available) could be a long time in coming...

For that reason alone we have been encouraged to ski with something in reserve and to ski well below "normal" speeds - just in case.....

We were on a tour last year with someone in the group who insisted on skiing at the most ridiculous speeds on the warm up runs in resort on day one of the week's tour. Despite persistent warnings from our guide - cue one high speed crash, one mountain evacuation and one end of holiday before it had begun. Sad

It doesn't bear thinking about what may have happened later in the week in the middle of nowhere.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey,

I hear what you are saying...you are correct, I wouldn't want to encourage out of control lunatics who think they are all that! We see enough of those on the Pistes...

It goes without saying that 'Top speed' is always location, snow, weather etc specific... hence the inclussion of a moutain guide. I'm suprised your guide put up with the idiot, sounded like he couldn't ski 'at a good speed and with control'
Thanks for the note though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi,
Any thoughts on when you might be planning to head out?
Have you skiied Zinal before? It is a great area and Grimentz down the road also has some great terrain. If you are willing to work for your turns then there is so much terrain to access including an amazing couloir above Grimentz. I'd highly recommed it, makes a great change to the madness of Cham, powder days not powder minutes.
It's snowing in the mountains today Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It might be of my interest! but yet need much more info on the details, day plan and so on
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey James and 0056!

Thanks for showing some interest. As for Dates... we are probably looking around March, April time. Intially I wanted to see if there is anyone out there up for this type of trip... I will have a chat with Matt about what the trips to Cham, La Grave, Zinal etc. would look like.

Jame... 30+days a year sounds great... very jealous Wink Sounds like you've had some great experiences in the mountains...

I've never skied Zinal before... I've heard great things about it though, and I like the idea of finding Powder-long-days away from the crowd Razz

I keep getting snowforecasts. Can't wait.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmm, end of March beginning of April I may be interested, together with a friend. We were also trying to organise something but if someone else does the legwork it may be best. I'll keep an eye on this.

As for level, see the Chile report (intuitively titled "Let's stop at a gas station and get some food") on the Resorts reviews and TRs section.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i will keep in touch as i will be very interested in joining in. I am off to val disere end of nov for six weeks then a three week stint in austria in march so end of march april will fit in nicely, and touring staying o/night in huts is just what I am looking for.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Please advise me as soon as you have an idea of dates. I would only be able to join you at the beginning of March as I have an Alaska trip planned towards the end of March.
I have all of the equipment that would be needed.

I am glad that you are encouraging this type of trip for expert skiiers, I hope to be able to make it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd be interested - am in Cham quite a bit throughout the season and have all-the-gear and a bit of an idea.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey,

Sorry that its taken some time to sort this out... I’ve been pretty tied up in the Studio. OK, I have spoken to Matt and this is what he says:

Base in Chamonix for the week. We could stay in an apartment... with maybe 1 night in a hut if that works at the time. We would plan really to ski a load off falline, but still having the flex to tour! day hits from Cham work best, its good to have a base and that gives us options off hunting out the best conditions, mixing it up from touring to lift access fallline. Buying day passes or not, depending on location as most tours can be done from the road saving coin! Matt’s car takes up to 5 clients. We can do hits to Zinal, Burson etc and into Italy also, plus off cause off the midi, Grand Enver etc would be great. So coming with a open mind is best, but I promise will have it for the week.
We can also maybe do a heli drop as the chopper takes 4 clients plus 1 guide per drop, but each drop costs around 550€ between all clients. (its another option)

Max team size: 5

Choice of dates are: 17th - 22nd March (6 days) or 9th - 15th April (7 days)

Guiding Fees: 360€ So we split this between the team. (i.e. team of 5 means, 72€ each a day)

Equipment: Matt can hire out safety kit cheaper than shops if folk don't have any! 15 euro's per day for Shovel/probe/beeps

Other costs to think of are: your travel, accommodation (whatever we arrange), food, hut costs, Lift passes (possibly daily ones for each destination or a week-depending on conditions in the alps), your own insurance... Thats all I think.

So, the questions to you are:

* Who wants to come along?

*What dates do you prefer? (I prefer the longer trip in April)

* We would need to commit as soon as possible, because Matt does get booked up very quickly. So please let me know either way if you are interested or not.Thanks Guys,

Adam

PS- Saw the Warren Miller Premiere last night... Can’t wait any longer for the Winter!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 23-11-11 12:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I will be ok for the April. Let me know. Trevor
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Caused to work related , I am only able to attend from 1-8 april, are there any chances ?
details ?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The March option is the only one I could do, but probably only Mon - Thur. I'll be in Cham anyway so can be flexible, could perhaps make up a full place with another who could only do the weekend?
snow report
Hey ,

sorry 0556, the 1-8 April isn't possible for the guide... can you do the 9-1th of April?

We are problably looking at the 9-15 of April, just waiting to hear back from Horizon.

Will update soon.

Anybody else out there interested?

Adam
latest report
I¨m so sorry, I will not make it on a diffferent week , due to work related
problems.
If there are dates changes, let me know.
Thank you.
snow conditions
I'm in, sent you an email, both dates works for me, defo up for heli skiing! live in london and can share a petrol costs if someone is keen to drive from england, Maciek
ski holidays
Can't make this trip but can speak for Matt's capabilities as a guide. I spent a day with him where one of our party was a) not really a very strong skier and b) suffered from altititude sickness (he's an v experienced mountaineer so a reminder to all of us that it can strike completely randomly).

Matt was patient, helpful, extremely knowledgable and somehow managed to find a way for me and my mate to still ski interesting pitches with great snow, despite the presence of the struggling group member.

For anyone who reads Fall-line, Matt is in a full page advert this month, I think .....
snow conditions
Nadtatic, hey,

Very interested in the trip if its not full already. Have sent you a PM.

Cheers
ski holidays
I've been talkiing to Matt Helliker (the Mountain Guide) and he says the powder is nuts deep at the moment...! apparently its phenomenal! not to be missed...

Any one interested in a 3 day trip 17-19th Jan (maybe travel out late Monday night and return late Thursday night) Similar set up to above- skiing with Matt (see costs)

Cheers,

Adam
latest report
Nadtatic wrote:
Any one interested in a 3 day trip 17-19th Jan (maybe travel out late Monday night and return late Thursday night) Similar set up to above- skiing with Matt (see costs)

I'm in Cham then, might well be interested.
snow report
Nadtatic, pm sent
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy