Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transceiver practise in London, 20th Nov at 1pm

Poster: A snowHead
welshflyer, that's to keep the riff raff out Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone else going to join us?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good question, and good bumpity! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zero-G, would you mind PMing me your mobile number, in case I get lost, lose my (South London) passport, or something? I wouldn't want people waiting around for me.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pedantica, PM sent.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Zero-G, thank you!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bump
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Would love to do a practise session, but cannot make 20th. Will keep an eye for any further oppos. Victoriaplum (or The Dormouse)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bumping to do a final roll call over the next few days. Anyone dropping out or anyone else wish to be added to the 'attending' list?

Unhappy to report that the hill is completely bare of snow. With the current balmy weather, flip flops may be the most suitable footwear for this session Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have updated the opening post with directions and map.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zero-G, thanks, that is SUPER-efficient! Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would be interested, but have no trannie. If there are spares, I'd love to come along!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nudge
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zero-G, Thanks for the map and instructions - I bow down before such pure organisational skills and forethought.

See you Sunday
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Big Paua, just pointed out that this will be round the corner from me. I will certainly be around for the pub to meet you all and probably for the session too (I have a transceiver but don't practice as much as I should). Hope there are lots of leaves to hide the "victim".
adamantis, pedantica if I come to the whole event you could borrow mine most of the time.
Actually I do have another very old transceiver but I think it doesn't work properly now - I'll have to check.
snow conditions
adamantis, apologies, I missed your post. Welcome to have a go with my trannie if snowball, doesn't make it. Have added you both to the 'interested' list.
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
Hope there are lots of leaves to hide the "victim".

The trees have been pleasingly co-operative in that regard. Would be good to see you again.
snow conditions
Hello
Fab idea, many thanks for organising
Myself and Mr Badpanda (and our two transceivers) would like to be added to the list if we can.

Silly question time - never done one of these without snow, what do we bring? Probe but not shovel?
See u Sunday!
snow report
May I attend as a non-tranny owner? Keen to learn just for general safety / prior to going off-piste at PSB (he says optimistically). Wouldn't expect to use, just shadow/listen?
snow report
Quote:

just shadow/listen
Me too, really.
snow report
Badpanda, have added you and the Mr to the 'attending' list. Just bring your trannies, you don't need probes or shovels.

JaMMi, have added you to the 'interested' list but if you confirm, will put you in the other list. Just to be clear, this isn't a training session (I don't think any of us is qualified as an avy trainer), we're all just practising but am sure everyone will be more than willing to share the wisdom wink
ski holidays
Hmm, wisdom might be overdoing it but I expect several of us can give general info about planning a search and using the transceiver. I don't see why everyone can't have a go. With one "victim" it is quite easy but when there are several it gets quite tricky and my lack of practice becomes very apparent.
snow conditions
I've got a bad cold and therefore won't be able to join you tomorrow.
latest report
snowball wrote:
With one "victim" it is quite easy but when there are several it gets quite tricky and my lack of practice becomes very apparent.

On a recent HAT weekend course, two of us found that with our particular trannies, after marking the second victim, the trannie struggled to pinpoint further victims. We literally walked around in circles. We found that 'rebooting' our transceivers before trying to locate the third victim resolved this entirely. Mine's an Ortovox 3+, can't remember what the other transceiver was.

welshflyer, man flu? wink
snow report
I've got a bit of a cold too Evil or Very Mad I'm gonna bail (not come Very Happy) - sorry and thanks anyway Wink (mostly because I've done none of my PSB packing/washing/prep and Friday night's my work Christmas party so it's tomorrow or bust really). Have fun!
snow report
Zero-G, will try and make it and will pm my mobile # Thanks
snow report
I'm unfortunately not going to be able to make this now. Very disappointed as would have been the prefect session for me.

Sure you'll all find it enjoyable and worthwhile
latest report
JaMMi, dasher, no worries.

Jivebaby, have sent you mine in return.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apologies for the short notice, but I'm not going to be joining you. Daughter trouble.
ski holidays
Hey

Worst internet excuse but my sis is in labour so going to have to rain check. I was still keen but but not allowed. Have fun!
snow report
Zero-G wrote:
snowball wrote:
With one "victim" it is quite easy but when there are several it gets quite tricky and my lack of practice becomes very apparent.

On a recent HAT weekend course, two of us found that with our particular trannies, after marking the second victim, the trannie struggled to pinpoint further victims. We literally walked around in circles. We found that 'rebooting' our transceivers before trying to locate the third victim resolved this entirely. Mine's an Ortovox 3+, can't remember what the other transceiver was.
WOW! That could be REALLY important to know Shocked

Do you remember, was the of transceiver a different make or was it Ortovox too?
And they both needed rebooting?
ski holidays
admin, I wish I could remember what the other trannie was but I can't. If we have enough people with trannies today, I'll repeat the exercise to verify if that is always the case with 3+ specifically.
latest report
I reckon all three of the models being used today were problematic: after locating two burials, everyone seemed to struggle with the third.

Huge thanks to Zero-G for organising this and to everyone for being so patient with the only real ignoramus in the party. It was not only a very useful couple of hours, it was fun too, especially since it was such a beautiful day. And then it turned into yet another jolly social occasion (my third snowHead meet-up of the weekend Shocked) when we repaired for warmth and sustenance to a local caff - where we were even graced with admin's presence! !Lovely to meet Mr and Mrs Badpanda, Big Paua, jivebaby and Zero-G, as well as to see snowball again - good to see you continuing apace with your recovery!
snow report
Well, we only managed to kill four 'victims' today. The multiple burial scenarios were difficult for everyone and it was always the third (and in one case, the fourth) victim that we struggled to find. With one or two victims, we had a good success rate.

Kudos to Badpanda for simulating a realworld panic scenario by running at us, shouting and waving her arms in a manner that would make a berserker proud.

We had a small variety of trannies: several BCA Tracker, two Ortovox 3+ and a Mammut Barryvox Pulse. Pedantica tried all three and found the Barryvox the easiest to use. For someone who had never used a transceiver before, the woman was like a bloodhound and beelined straight to the victims!

With regards to having to reboot the 3+ so that I could locate the 3rd/4th victim, I had to do this twice. But on two other occasions, didn't have to. So the jury is still out on whether this is needed as standard.

But the best trannie of the day has to be admin's magical transceiver, which somehow led him to the restaurant we were in, despite all of our trannies being switched off. WTF? Shocked
latest report
Heh, it took me so long to write that post that I missed yours Pedantica. Good to meet you all too.
snow report
Zero-G, Many thanks for arranging a fun meet with a few friendly snowheads- it was also lovely to revisit my old haunts, although the drive home was so foggy my transceiver may well have performed better than my Sat-Nav!

I've attached this link which addresses the question asked regarding searchers who are not transmitting: http://www.mammut.ch/en/newfirmware.html
ski holidays
Well that was very convenient for me and reinforced how difficult multiple burials are. You can't practice that at home, and out in the mountains it is so tempting to not lose skiing time during the day, and then, when tired at the end of the day, not do it then either.
Really good to meet you all, or meet you again (I hope I'll finally get to ski with you one day, Zero-G).
Big Paua came back and had dinner at my place and we probably bored my non-skiing (and by definition non prostate) wife rigid, talking about skiing and prostate problems.
snow report
Sorry I couldn't make it - would have been nice to see how the F1 did with 3+ burials. Quite highly dependent on the ears of the user in those cases.
ski holidays
The day was good and when I arrange another practise session, the format may be slightly different. While I saw the day as a means to practise with my beacon so that using it becomes second nature, the group as a whole could have benefitted if we practised actual scenarios where one person takes charge managing the searchers, search pattern and digging. This is just as important as knowing how to use a transceiver. Everyone can take turns being the rescue leader and everyone learns to work as a team under a rescue leader.
latest report
Zero-G I've always wondered about pre assigning rescue leader , 2nd in command etc before setting out for the excursion but wondered if in the heat of the moment it would all go tits up depending on personal panic levels and slope position such that its fairly useless. Essentially it seems to a duty that would fall most often to tailgunner which is a good reason for them not being the least experienced member of the party.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy