Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

are snow tyres cheaper in austria?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
or subtitled i'm grasping at straws to try to justify a trip in half term.

but the espace needs two new winter tyres, which are £200 each here. Are they stunningly cheaper over there, or about the same?
Maria.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try http://www.reifendirekt.at/ (the austrian equivalent of mytyres.co.uk).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
graywiggle, try Germany first as you have to drive through it to get to Austria. If you don't have winter tyres and you have an accident in conditons the authorities feel warrent them, then your insurance may be fooked!

Put in Billigreifen into your search engine and ask for the results in German, then see what comparison sites come up. You then put in your tyre size (Reifengrosse) and they will give you a selection of prices and locations. Your problem then is to find somewhere to have them fitted. I believe you can take the print out to somewhere like Mytyres and they will order them and fit them for you. Or order them yourself and put the delivery address as your service garage. I think a few people ordered directly from Germany last winter.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
graywiggle, using mytyres.co.uk as a guide to best prices in UK I've not noticed much difference to prices here in Austria. Though 200 each for an espace sounds way expensive, even for the UK. A few days ago I got new michelins winters for a scenic 185/65/R15 for 82Euros each fitted, in Austria. Cheaper brands were available. I'd start by checking mytyres.co.uk
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

A few days ago I got new michelins winters for a scenic 185/65/R15 for 82Euros each fitted, in Austria.

my tyres are that size, and the cost would be similar in UK - but I've failed to get Vredesteins, which I did find better than the Michelin Alpin.

The Vredesteins are available in France (though not easily, they seem to be scarce everywhere) and I'm wondering about getting a couple here, then taking them home. If I can find any local stockists I'd be happy to bring back a few extra, to be picked up from me in Emsworth. £200 a wheel is just preposterous.

Travelling down then having new snowtyres fitted somewhere en route is not too good an idea, not least because you'd then have to accommodate the ones they'd taken off. Most cars going on ski holidays don't have room for four mucky tyres!

I've got mine in the past from Camskill - good prices and service.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Camskill prices

Michelin alpin a3 - 76.50

vredesteins ( no stock however) are the same or cheaper as they were on special - sometimes worth a phone call if they dont have them in stock
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
event-tyres are showinf Michelin Aplin A4 for £71 fitted.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have just bought some Vredesteins for my VW van from www.tyremen.co.uk for £89 each. Great service and quick delivery
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
graywiggle, ...my approach for the last two sets:

...make cup of coffee and grab two digestive biscuits
...go into study and wake up Apple desktop
...go onto mytyres website
...nibble first biscuit
...check that mytres is still cheapest - and it is by far
...buy 4 pirelli snow control 120s (used them for years in the Alps and have been on many other makes but have had really good experience with these)
...click to finish
...complete eating first biscuit
...finish coffee

wait two days

...tyres arrive flawlessly, including being left in neighbour's garage as requested
...drop them round to our local tyre place for fitting and balancing

all done
wonder what happened to second biscuit

and all without going to Austria - but then the whole point of your post was a trip out there, so why on earth did I do this post?.....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks guys,
since the original post i looked at my bank balance, which has put austria out of the question. and food for the last week of october.
looks like getting them in the uk (from husband's account of course) next month.
thanks again for the help.
can't eat the biscuits, as i've scoffed my way through too many peppermint thins today. i will never fit in my betty rides (but that is another story)
maria.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy