Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'Huez - where to stay

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay in Alpe d'Huez? Preferably half board or catered chalet.

My husband has flights booked to Grenoble from 17 December - 24 December this year for a party of 3 adults and 2 16yr old boys.

Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not AdH, but part of the area... we stayed here for a week in the summer http://chaletoz.com/ lovely chalet. Oz is nice, few mins walk to a drag, 5 mins to the gondola - you can probably ski all the way back though.

Would be quite big for 5 of you though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bridgit Jones, Long time no see! Not specific places but the 2 times I've been there I've stayed in Les Bergers area which I found to be very good for access. there are a couple of hotels there and chalets near the altiport.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have stayed here in Villard Reculas and would return. http://www.lasource.f9.co.uk/ Food very good, place just a little bit eccentric. Villard Reculas not a great place for novice skiiers, IMO.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have had a look at both of those chalets, thanks for the recommendation; however, the guys would prefer to be in the centre of AdH as there will be more apres ski going on.

Hi Colin.. I've not been on because I have finally hung up my ski boots as I have decided that I love everything about skiing except for the skiing....!!!! Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bridgit Jones, Don't tell Charlotte Very Happy

Les Bergers area hotels would still be fine, not much of a walk into town. The chalets there are a long way up the hill, they wouldn't suit.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bridgit Jones wrote:
Any suggestions welcome!

I see you've only booked your flights so far so, if any suggestions really are welcome and in the best tradition of SH's resort bashing, I offer the following suggestion. wink

Stay in a nearby resort like Les Deux Alpes and do a daytrip to ADH to confirm that you made the right decision Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i have to admit i am confused by the notion, which does pop up here quite a lot, the L2A is a "better" resort than ADH.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno, in my personal opinion, the pistes of ADH are busier, the jester-hatted muppets ski more dangerously, the resort 'centre' isn't a centre and the snow is more sun-affected than other resorts served by Grenoble. It may also have some wonderful off-piste opportunities even if it doesn't have La Grave on the lift pass but referencing the OP's comment of not wanting to ski but wanting evening action, L2A would serve better with its town that actually feels like a town.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fairy snuff, although i have noticed unpleasant concentrations of jester hats at both resorts if i have looked hard enough, but equally it hasn't been too hard to avoid them with a bit of care Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I like them both, they're different Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bridgit Jones, can't help with your question but it is nice to see you back - your late night posting a few years ago was one of my all-time favourite snowHeads moments (shame you for editing them out though)!!

On the AdH v L2A debate, I loathed L2A with a passion and wouldn't go back unless I was paid. I liked AdH though. I accept that personal opinions are all meaninglessly subjective though Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know that Bridgit Jones knows LDA as I've met her there, probably ADH too so the which is best debate isn't actually helpful at all.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd recommend Le Castillan. You can book independently, the food is great and it's near the bucket lift. I love ADH, I've had 4 holidays there. I've not been there for 17 years (!) but I'd definitely go back. I know the Castillan is still good though because my OH - who is French - stayed there with his brother a couple of years ago and they liked it.

Even if I went back now, I still don't think I'd attempt Le Tunnel. I'd do the Sarenne though.

Oh, and for the record, I've been to LDA 3 times (not through choice, family holidays when I was a teenager!) and wouldn't go back!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Haven't used them in AdH but in serre chevalier last year these guys were great, and include the airport transfer
http://www.zenithholidays.co.uk/

they have 4 chalets in AdH.
snow report
ADH is a great choice as there are few places that match its extent and variety of terrain
....... the Zenith Holidays recommendation is good too! Check out the Chalet hermione - there is space
latest report
Arno wrote:
fairy snuff, although i have noticed unpleasant concentrations of jester hats at both resorts if i have looked hard enough, but equally it hasn't been too hard to avoid them with a bit of care Wink

I know I should give AdH another go as my opinions/experiences have been purely subjective from a few snap shots & on the occasions I've been to AdH, the weather has always been iffy. Also being just day trips, I've never explored the far-flung corners of the domain but I know it's got some gems & I love the Sarenne. Little Angel I just remember the weaving through what seemed like unavoidable routes back to AdH and seeing more chaos in the swarms of ants topped with brightly coloured tentacles and dangly bits than anywhere else I remember save for Glastonbury festival Toofy Grin
snow report
Oh I've had a giggle reading some of these posts.

I do remember my late night post some years ago.. it was funny and in hindsight I should not have edited it, but I was a bit embarrassed at the time... Embarassed being a newbie and all that....

And I've had some fantastic ski trips.. it's just a shame about the skiing bit.. I cannot seem to get the hang of it at all... I've had that many falls that I ought to change my posting name to Niagra.. yes that's with an 'N'...

The boys (6 in total now) have decided to stay at our old favourite Les Lutins in L2A and travel around on various day trips to nearby resorts. I am sure that they will have a good time and sure that I will have an equally good if quiet time at home with the dog and the TV remote!

I may venture onto the slopes again some sunny easter in the future, but then again I may not....

Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy