Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which skis to mount up for touring?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am wondering which skis would be best mounted to touring bindings for some lift accessed off piste. I have some preachers for downhill but I want something with a little less width for exploring steeps and want to try some more interesting stuff in Scotland this year. (I survived my first couloir on 80mm waisted skis)

So that I look down with the kids, they have to be twin tips Smile and the shortlist is:-

Scott Punishers
volkl Karmas
Line Prophet 90
Storm Rage
or leave the Fritschis on Atomic Kongas Smile

I was leaning towards the karmas as they are also the lightest.
Prophets seem to get the best overall reviews for downhill but they are heavier.
Punishers are in there as It must be twins and missions were great at everything.
the storm rages are a bit of a wildcard, seem stiff and are rated for all mountain, how do they match up in the above company?

I know WDF are putting some touring bindings on the demo fleet so it may be that I just need to MTFU Toofy Grin if that's the case let me know.

Be good to hear from anyone who has tried any of the above with touring bindings.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ledge,
Quote:

they have to be twin tips

Twin tips can be a PITA -- a normal ski tail allows you to quickly stuff the skis in the snow and be sure you won't loose them. This is invaluable when you get to a small, windy, cloudy col and you have to faff about taking skins off.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
attaching skins to twintips can be a PITA, also they are shocking belay devices should you find yourselves looking for an anchor on a glacier.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
No glaciers in Scotland as far as I am aware wink I am not going to be doing any serious hikes and my skill level means I hopefully won't find myself in too many very precarious positions. In my very limited experience of putting on and removing skins I have always needed to be holding onto the skis with the other hand anyway, is there some technique I am missing out on?

Hopefully my offcuts thread will help me with the twintips/skin issue but saying anymore may prevent a future appearance on dragon den Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What sory of touring binding?? Little point going for the lightest ski if you're going to fit Marker Dukes or simmilar? Conversley little point buying a light ski for weight and then putting Dukes on it?

Most skins have some sort of cam at the tail (BD or G3). Getting this to stay in the middle and tight with a twin-tip is tricky so they tend to come off mid-tour as it's much harder to get much tension in the system. I think ski's comment refers to when you are holding one ski it is easier to shove the other in the snow if it isn't a twin tip...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sweaman2, Well a light ski with dukes is gonna be lighter than a heavy ski with dukes... So not quite sure why there'd be little point in that set-up..?

Also have to say I haven't had any problems with BD skins on my twins.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Prophets I'd say, pretty light but a great ski (have an old pair of 80s with Freerides on them, might be lighter than the 80s dunno), not too bad sticking them in the snow either although the harder it is the more difficult.

As for skins G3s are absolutely no problem on twins in my experience.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
True - I suppose my point was that for me it does a bit depend what the emphasis is in terms of wether you worry about weight.

As for the twin-tips... I don't have any but assume some people are having problems other wise there would be any demand for these...

http://www.genuineguidegear.com/gear/accessories/twin-tip-connectors
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well thats my dragons den idea in the crapper - curse you twin tip connectors.

roga, do you know if the prophet 80's also have the metal layer in them as per the 90's, was reading something that said the prophet 115 and 130 were lighter then the 90's Shocked

sweaman2, The bindings are fritschi freerides plus or pro can't remember which. I also have ye olde coll-tex skins with a plastic clip so no idea how they will fair with twins.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy