Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

please help me shorten my short list

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
i am looking to buy an "all mountain ski" for the up coming season, at present i ski on kastle mx 88's and HSFR 102's, and am realistically looking to find a ski that fits in-between the two Smile
The kastle's ski really well on all pistes and in the variable snow, but i struggle with them in the deeper and heavier snow off-piste, whereas the freerides are fantastic in the open bowls and fresh snow, but again i struggle with them in tighter and steeper terrain, at 186cm i find them mentally too long and although they grip really well on piste i find the turn radius too big for me. I will be skiing in japan,europe and the states this season and would love to have a ski that will work well in most areas, and will be trying to ski the side country and lift accessible off piste as much as conditions allow.
so after much research i have come up with this list which i would like to narrow down to two or three options that i can then look at in much more detail;

in no particular order;

Kastle MX 98 168
Movement source 169
Volkl bridge 171
Line influence 172
White dot "the preacher" 169

my research seems to lead me to a cambered ski with an early rise tip , with a reasonably short turn radius.please tell if you disagree

i am 1.65 m tall and weigh 75 kg ( actually 20 kg lighter than when purchased the hsfr ski) , i dont always ski as well as i think i do, but have been training and practicing hard to improve my skiing over the last couple of years Very Happy

apologies for the long list but you know how it is once you start looking
Shocked

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 15-10-11 19:18; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nordica Doberman SL-R.

You know it makes sense.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To clarify, are you looking for a ski that replaces your two current skis, or fits in between as part of a 3 ski quiver? What size are your Kastle? If you plan to keep the 88s and plan to travel with multiple skis, get something to replace the HSFRs instead of trying to fit between the 2. If you really want a 3 ski quiver, then I would have the 88s as the middle ski if it was me. In either case, it sounds like the HSFRs should find a happier home as they aren't really what you had in mind when you got them.

I'm a lot taller and a bit heavier than you and have skis that range from 172 (72 mm underfoot) to 191 (108 underfoot). My 186 cm (98 mm) twin tips ski shorter than my 184 cm (84 mm) slightly curved tail, so factor this in when deciding length.

Haven't ski any of the skis you are considering, but have always heard good things about Kastle and having been hearing rave reviews for the Blizzard Bonafide as a very good all purpose ski, but there are many to choose from.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Neilski, well Toofy Grin my everyday ski for what you are going to be doing is the Movement Source, the interesting thing about the Source in 169 is its weight it is really light but very tough at 1.55kg the 169 skis very very short as it has a early tip rise, and is slightly slimmer than the 177 but the same width under foot at 94mm. Very good all mountain ski and pretty good if its icy as well.

The Preachers are a fatter ski than your HS, but surprisingly do all mountain very well, they are a little difficult on ice and really hard snow, but better in fresh than almost any all mountain ski I know.

Sorry can not help with the others as I have not skied them
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MEfree30, yes i am looking to replace the two sets of skis with one , the kastles are 168 long, which work well for me in most conditions, but are a little on the slim side to float in the powder and they ten to dive under heavy snow a bit, although this is probably more down to me than the ski.
one of the main reasons for this is the traveling as it is becoming more of a problem with the extra weight of two pairs of skis and bindings, and if i was come to the states could allways hire an out and out powder ski in resort.

livetoski, was going to give you a call about the movement and white dot options, what are your thoughts on the "one"
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The new Voelkl Mantra could be a good option, would quite like to try them myself too. The Blizzard skis are certainly being well received on TGR. Dynastar Sixth Sense Slicer could also be worth a look, Sultan 94 too. Line Prophet 98?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Neilski, its probably better to give me a call, now I know you are going to replace two sets with one Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I went through this last year and ended up with Hardsides... haven't looked back. Great skis.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the list is now a little shorter , but keep the thoughts coming snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Neilski, the Preacher is a fair bit fatter than the rest of the skis there, or the ones I recognise, and probably in the right width ballpark for where you'll be skiing. Reckon I'd be looking around that territory ie. Kastle's MX108.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Atomic Theory 177
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
livetoski, looking at the source closely , do you think the 177 will make a worthwhile difference over the 169 in the powder ???
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
List now shorter thanks to all , now time to find some demos snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy