Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice needed please. What skis do i need?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
HI all forum members. I am new to this forum and firstly would like to say hello to you all.

I am looking at buying my first set of skis/boots/poles and would be grateful for any advice. I am 182cms tall and weigh 93kg. I have skied for two weeks and consider myself an intermediate but at the lower end of the scale.

I would like to find a pair of skis and boots that will enable me to improve but not be obsolete after a couple of trips.

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Buy the boots rent the skis (unless going somewhere they still point at aeroplanes) one can try so many different types and you don't have to pay to lug the things there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree with Cynic, as it will also mean that when you do buy skis you should have quite a good idea of what you want. I started skiing three and a half years ago and bought my boots after my first week but have only just bought my first pair of skis ( snowHead snowHead snowHead ).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree with Cynic, buy some properly fitted boots, but demo skis for a while. You need to explore the style of sking you want pursue most first. With demos you can mix it up a bit.

Richo
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just wait a moment CEM is on his way
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
prichp, Biggest thing (IMHO) is to not over sell yourself to the bootfitter. With two weeks skiing behind you you are a beginner from a boots point of view.

Probabally one of the worst things you can do to your skiing is to buy equipment that is aimed at much higher level skiers, something way too stiff (boots and skis) will ruin you enjoyment and inhibit your development.

As with the comments above the boots will be a good buy, the skis may be worth waiting for.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think I might just disagree with everyone else on the skis. If you've got the cash, you might as well buy a pair of skis that will probably do you for this season and next, which will no doubt be a piste orientated ski that is about 170cm long.

With the cost of rental in some resorts topping £100 a week, you've only got to do a few weeks and a cheapish pair of secondhand skis has paid for itself.

But I agree that the boot is number one thing to sort, regardless of the rest of it. Make sure they properly fit, and are appropriate for early intermediate skier, and they'll probably do you for some time to come. We can't really advise you on what boots you will want/need because we can't see your feet etc. If they are the right size and comfortable, your boots can easily last you for years, just depends how much you do and getting it right first time.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Buy the boots. Rental boots generally inhibit your progression. Even if you want to upgrade the boots after 2 weeks it'll have been worth it, and that's unlikely. Make sure you trust the individual who fits them. There's plenty on here on how a straightforward boot fitting for a standard recreational client should progress in a good shop.

Only buy the skis if you can get a suitable pair cheap.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Where are CEM or Smallzookeeper all this chat on boot fitters and they have not yet arrived?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy