Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

seamless leggings base layer - cheapish place?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all
I'm looking for a pair of seamless baselayer leggings that aren't going to break the bank. I ordered the Hummel seamless ones and had to return them as they had seams all the way down the legs Sad . I don't get cold easily so I don't need a great pair. If I managed in the arctic circle with a bad cheap pair and jeans, I'm sure I'll survive skiing (provided I don't end up soaking wet). It's just something to help on cold days. The pair I previously used had seams and I chaffed so much I wanted to die.
So, does anyone know of a place that has an ok set that isn't too expensive?
Thanks
Alan
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Falke? The skin tight stretchy ones. Not the cheapest though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yea, I was hoping to get away with a lot less. I might not have a choice though Sad

should I be aiming at the normal full legged ones or the 3 quarters? They will be used for both skiing and boarding.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
keep an eye on Aldi, they have seamless base layer tops this Thursday but not leggings (but they have had them before IIRC)

Or Lidl had some in from the 10th... (can't see if they are seamless) http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg//lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_25080.htm?offerdate=&ar2=
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use 3/4 length, which nicely meet the tops of (Falke) ski socks. Full length would need to be tucked in somehow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
By seamless base layer leggings, do you mean tights? If so, just head to your local M&S Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yea, just seamless tights. I will have a look at M&S this weekend, thanks
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah you could probably get something like that at a lot of places and not even necessarily a skiing store. Have you ever looked into Hot Chili's. I think that is how the brand name is spelled. I used to ski in Buffalo NY and everybody had them. They aren't super cheap but I'm not exactly sure how cheap you're looking to go.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Monium wrote:
By seamless base layer leggings, do you mean tights? If so, just head to your local M&S Smile

Don't knock it, apparently Marines carry women's nylon pantyhose to use as an emergency base layer. Bunch of girls they are Very Happy
Personally, I wouldn't touch nylon pantyhose with someone else's legs.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't think I could handle the mocking that would peruse if something happened revealing that I was wearing womens pantyhose
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AlanB1976, Get the heavy black thermal ones and cut the feet off... no one will notice the difference Laughing

I like the Lowe Alpine dryflo tights. They have have flat lock seams with no ridges... extremely comfy and very high wicking. Might be worth a try as although they have seams they don't protrude.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zero-G wrote:
Monium wrote:

Don't knock it, apparently Marines carry women's nylon pantyhose to use as an emergency base layer. Bunch of girls they are Very Happy
Personally, I wouldn't touch nylon pantyhose with someone else's legs.

I honestly can't believe you've just suggested that a bunch of sailors is the measure of what is appropriate for men in this day and age Smile

They are an incredibly useful thing to have in your pack - you never know when you might need to rob a bank or replace a fanbelt on an old car...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Monium wrote:
I honestly can't believe you've just suggested that a bunch of sailors is the measure of what is appropriate for men in this day and age Smile

As I said:
Quote:
Bunch of girls they are Very Happy

That said, I think that if you called any Marine a sailor, those are likely to be your last words Skullie
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you get 3/4 length check your calves are fat enough. I was fed up having to roll up my full length ones so bought 3/4 length only to have to return them as they were too baggy at the lower end.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AlanB1976, if it isn't too sensitive a question..... where did they chafe, exactly? And what were you doing? Skiing is not as chafe-prone as walking, I think - neither my OH nor I have ever suffered from chafe, in a range of base layers from all kinds of shops, mostly very cheap ones and certainly including T K Maxx and M & S. If they are long I chop them off above boot level.
snow report
pam w, I'd guess they just itched and were rather uncomfortable. Cheap tights which probably had crappy hard seams.
latest report
AlanB1976, Also use the Lowe alpine as Scarpa says. No lumps or bumps and can be worn inside boots without causing any pressure points.
snow conditions
pam w, well....uh.....um...gee......uh...... NehNeh just my inner thighs. Nothing too sensitive Laughing .
The last pair I had were cheap and it was walking that I did in them. They got so uncomfortable and sore that it started to ruin things (and I started to walk like John Wayne). I just don't want the same to happen for my ski trip. Unfortunately, all the seamless ones I've seen are rather expensive and just too much considering my expenses at the moment. I'm gong to have a look in M&S and TKMaxx this weekend and see if they have any cheapish seamless ones. If not, I will test my luck with the best I can find (maybe a Lowe Alpine one). The womens seamless of Lowe Alpine is about £25 where the male one is £40 Shocked
snow conditions
AlanB1976, did you try Lidl as per my link above???
ski holidays
Yea, went past but they had no stock left Sad
Also saw on the blow up picture they had outside that they did have seams. Although for that price, worth a try anyway
snow conditions
I have 3 sets of Canterbury thermals, the 'hot' model. tops and bottoms cost £25 -£30 in sports shops but no doubt can be picked up cheaper on the internet. Nicely made and work well. The range is aimed at mainly at rugby players, but are perfect (imo) as skiing base layers.

Google 'Canterbury of New Zealand'.
snow conditions
are they seamless?
ski holidays
AlanB1976, I really don't think you'd have as much trouble downhill skiing. Your thighs are not constantly changing their relative position when you ski - and, of course, you should have a wide stance (albeit they come together at some point.... at the top.....

Provided they were nice and soft and plenty big enough for you, I don't think you'd have any problems.

My OH used always to rub the little raised bits off his cord trousers, between the thighs - and that's despite being bandy. they'd go bald in no time at all. His thighs seem to have become less abrasive as it doesn't happen any more.
snow report
I was just hoping that I'd get some good pairs that I can use for whatever I do. We planning some more Arctic adventures so they would be used for more walking at some stage. Most likely, the newish ones will have much better seams than my old ones, but I'm leaving that as a last option if I can't find any seamless.
ski holidays
AlanB1976, My Icebreaker leggings have the seams on the outside of the legs rather than the inside if that helps.
latest report
I don't think Icebreaker is in the budget for AlanB1976 - certainly not in mine! There was an Icebreaker mid layer in snow and rock that was about £90. Shocked

Decathlon do excellent base layers. They are often available in the outdoor shops in the outlet places such as Bicester, too.
snow conditions
Quote:

I don't think Icebreaker is in the budget
agreed
rolling eyes

I could always just wear a normal pair inside-out to make the seams better Laughing
ski holidays
AlanB1976 wrote:
are they seamless?

Don't know. Never noticed a seam but I'll check tonight and let you know.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.damart.co.uk/index_cat.php?cat_id=1204&c_path=25

?
snow report
those look like they could be ok. The £18 pair say no side seams.
latest report
pam w wrote:
I don't think Icebreaker is in the budget for AlanB1976 - certainly not in mine! There was an Icebreaker mid layer in snow and rock that was about £90.

Whatever, my one pair were not £90. I prefer the leggings I got here, they were £25 in a sale.
snow report
well, went to M&S and a bunch of sport shops. No seamless in sight. some had the box saying seamless when all they mean is flat seams with tons of stitching making them worse than the others. Sad
I think I will either have to risk the Damart ones or get a pair and wear them inside-out to get the flattest part
ski holidays
Found a special at SD for some base layers. They got the seams but I'll wear them inside-out and hope for the best. My mid Nov trip will be the test
latest report
AlanB1976, I got some from Aldi the other week - maybe you should keep your eyes and ears open for when they are on the market in the UK. These were not marketed as "ski" clothing, just general thermal underwear. Toofy Grin
latest report
I saw the ones that Lidl had but at that stage I was still searching for seamless so didn't go for them. The SD ones were quite cheap though (£Cool. Probably not as cheap as Aldi but at least I can cross that off the list. Who knows, at some stage soon I won't have to post irritating cheap equipment threads Laughing
latest report
AlanB1976, I mentioned Canterbury of New Zealand thermals higher up the thread, and you asked if they were seamless. I forgot to respond.

Anyway, I now know that they are not seamless. The leg seam starts at the back of the thigh to about knee height, then moves round to the inside of the calf.

I also discovered that my thermals are in the 'cold' range rather than the 'hot' range as I'd previously stated.

Anyway. I like them. Well made. Do the job and cheap(ish).
snow report
I suppose that is the bottom line.... as long as you are happy with them.
I might revisit this thread if the ones I bought still irritate me
snow conditions
+1 for Hot Chillys. - I think they're actually flat seam, but they feel seamless.

Don't think you can get them in the UK though...................
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy