Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

avoiding half term queues..help!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

Would like to ask for some help choosing next years ski holiday. Unfortunately we are going to have to go in Feb half term. Normally we go to France but after reading a few posts seems like they have school hols same time so guess we should avoid this country altogether. We also will be driving down, so maybe we might go to Austria... but I have no clue on what resorts....and whether it will be any better re queues? We are group of 10 with 3 children under 7, 2 can ski reds but all of them need ski school. The rest of group are intermediates and above. We are happy to share a chalet or apartments.

Any help really appreciated.
thanks
C
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First of all, welcome to snowHeads,clare55, .

I think the best way of avoiding big queues, especially as you are driving, would be to head for a resort which is not well know to the UK skier. This may lead to language difficulties for your ski-school people, but steering clear of the resorts used by British Tour Operators (TOs) might help.

As a retired teacher, I used to be restricted to that week, but never found it particularly a problem. I hope someone will be on soon to give more specific recommendations.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris Bish, gives good advice? Consider Vars, Chamrousse, resorts in the Maurienne valley for example. Also look at the Pyrenees, both French and Spanish sides - some spiffy skiing there, by all accounts.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Head to Switzerland. With the swiss franc so strong, no one can afford to ski there Smile I'm heading to Laax in feb half term, and hoping its as quiet as last year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We stay in a small French ski resort with practically no Brits and certainly no tour operators but it's still very busy at half term because of the French holidays. We make ourselves scarce, generally, unless friends stuck with school holidays have to travel then. If you can get some advice as to a suitable Austrian resort (there's a Fasching holiday which the people who know austria will be able to advise about) it might be a better bet.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ditch the car, February with Uncle sam. Avon, a condo in, rather than the cosmetic company, fly into Eagle from Denver. Vail Beaver Creek just up the road, just a minute you might need a car after all, no just remembered very cheap excellent bus service. Few Brits, valley blanche blah blah when I was in morzine megeve etc etc: you have to pay extra for a fire and the firewood. Decide next year it's got to be the Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Spa Resort.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi

re France. Its been posted on here elsewhere and some kindly soul has put a link up to all European holidays for verification. But the short answer to your question is that Feb 11 2012 the french resorts will only be overrun with Brits and the odd Dane. If your school is not holidaying that week then don't read the rest of this post...

The only french school holidays causing significant gaelic chaos are the 2 weeks that Paris decamps. And this year they are 18 + 25 Feb. The other french areas don't create significant demand to even price at premium rates.

It doesn't happen very often and hasn't happened for ages so if you fancy France and fancy driving, the traffic jams will be going the opposite way to you on your departure and the ski schools will very much be parlaising anglais for your week. TO's still have to peak the prices of course but book a french run property and you should find it refreshingly less expensive than previous years. Make the most of this season because next season the dates are not looking so good.

Enjoy.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Actually 2013 will be a once in lifetime opportunity to go to France at half term and have the place to yourself (see link below) but sounds like 2012 will be quite a good year as well - wonder if the TOs will buy huge amounts of extra capacity for just the one year and price it to sell.

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1814054
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clare55, ...shhhh....don't tell anyone else....we always have NO queues at Crans Montana during feb halfterm - has been the same for years. Swiss Franc seems strong, but then you have free parking immediately next to lift station (yes, that's right...completely free) at Aminona on the east of the CMA system (120km of runs in total and lots of accessible off piste), cheap accommodation at aminona or in the surrounding villages (need a car, but then it's only 10hrs from calais - can be quicker than 3 valleys) and this compensates for high chf, and very good family lift pass deals.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clare55, Our formula was to get to a valley town Friday night and ht the resorrt road at dawn Sat am to beat the queues in, and similarly leave friday evening after a days skiing to avoid the queues out. We've found places like Vaujany, Montriond, Peisey, Montchavin to be pretty quiet bases to get into the bigger resorts they link to. Sounds as though it chouldn't be a prob this year though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think La Thuile would be a good option for those tied to half term. I can't imagine it ever being crazy busy there, and you can still ski to France if you wish.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I agree with Queen Bodecia that la Thuile would not be very crowded compared with other places. We skiied there from La rosiere over New Year a couple of years ago and the pistes in La Thuile were almost empty. However if you have children needing ski school it might be better to base yourselves in La Rosiere and ski over to La Thuile from there.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I gotta agree with Cynic...while realizing that flights are something of a budget buster, the only days that will be even close to the crowds you will find in France will be Feb 18 and 19. The other days will be much better value for money when you can pay about £50 per day for Luxury accommodations INCLUDING LIFT TICKET in Colorado. Check this out http://www.epicski.com/t/105801/summit-colorado-luxury-stay-lift-ticket-35-to-99-per-person-per-night-for-non-holiday-periods-booked-by-oct-16#post_1371450

In full disclosure, I lived full time in Chalet Frisco until last month, but the deals being offered can't be beat for a group of 10 which fits perfectly into this place. Hurry because some of the lift ticket prices go up Ocotober 16 with major price increases usually seen in mid-November

Buy your Lift Tickets ASAP: Discounted season pass works out to less than $30 per day for as few as 7 to 10 days skiing, so you don't have to be a local to benefit from inexpensive pricing. Summit Value, Epic Local, A-Basin Bonus and Copper Mountain Season Passes currently offer unlimited skiing at up to 7 resorts for as little as $209 for kids, $299 for teens and $369 for adults. Plan to ski less than 7 days? Check out the Loveland transferable 4 pack online for $129 while the Copper 4 pack is available in person for $149. Prices usually increase as the season approaches (A-Basin is opening today, Loveland on Friday) and the best deals are usually gone by mid-November, so buy now to save big money over ticket window prices.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia wrote:
I think La Thuile would be a good option for those tied to half term. I can't imagine it ever being crazy busy there, and you can still ski to France if you wish.
Agreed, one of the quietest (when the wind does not blow) places I have been.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
queen bodecia wrote:

I agree with this based on the fact that I went there at half term once. La Ros side was slightly busier, but nothing we couldn't handle.

+1 for Maurienne Valley in France as well.
snow conditions
thank you everyone...maybe we'll go to France after all..back to drawing board!
ski holidays
If you have the cash, I second the USA suggestion or, possibly, Canada. It's a long way, but a day spent travelling is wasted regardless of whether the flight lasts two hours or nine. Well worth it to dodge the crowds, but choose your resort carefully as it's President's weekend.
snow conditions
clare55, If Austria is atill under consideration, this is what Wikipedia has to say about the very sensible policy of staggering the school half-term holidays:
"The first term ends in Vienna and Lower Austria on the first Friday of February, in Burgenland, Carinthia, Salzburg, Tyrol and Vorarlberg on the second Friday of February and in Upper Austria and Styria on the third Friday of February."
snow conditions
Quote:

the very sensible policy of staggering the school half-term holidays:

they do it over 4 weeks in France, too.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Also look at the Pyrenees, both French and Spanish sides - some spiffy skiing there, by all accounts.

I have friends who live near the French Pyrenees and love skiing there but now they fly to Austria in their Feb holidays because the local queues are so bad at this time.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy