Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ISIA technical meeting Budapest

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Just a short report from the ISIA technical meeting in Budapest. I am here (IASI) with Alex Leaf (BASI) to present our training in snowsports safety and especially off piste.

It is very clear that IASI/BASI off piste modules are one of the most comprehensive within ISIA member nations. Austria and France not here (strange.....) Germany almost choked on their bratwurst when we delivered the content of our Euro security courses. They felt it is driffting too close to the relm of a guide.

Germany and Slovenia are proposing a "free ride" instructor module with less touring orientated training. The proposals look good. It is felt that ski instructors should only ski off piste within a resort, start at a lift, end at a lift and no rope training etc.

The IASI (and BASI) level 3 ISIA off piste course ticks all the boxes and is stronger that most of the nations at the meeting.

Some nations are quite weak in the training, and some don't feel it is relevant to their association and members as off piste skiing in forbidden in some nations (without a mountain guide).

Germany would like to see focus on avalanche transceiver recovery competence higher and have some proposals.

Good meeting, made some friends, lost some friends! My aunt lives here so now im going to spend some time with her, have a few days break and look around a great city!

PSG

www.petesilvergillespie.com
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gilleski, thanks for the report Pete, very interesting. Have fun in Budapest!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gilleski, interesting to hear the french didnt turn up. Sounds like the huge bust up they had with ISIA has caused long term damage.

any news on the new Euro Card?

Quote:

It is felt that ski instructors should only ski off piste within a resort, start at a lift, end at a lift and no rope training etc.

the freeride module sounds very sensible , the EMS is really over the top imo and ropes and day tour types should be going with mountain leaders or guides. I know you passed your EMS but when is the last time you roped clients into a gully wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Pete,

gilleski wrote:

Germany would like to see focus on avalanche transceiver recovery competence higher and have some proposals.

Surely they would be better having an even more in depth focus on avalanche avoidance?

Also given the huge numbers of people now getting into 'slack-country' touring, nations putting their heads in the sand & singing very loudly isn't going to reduce the number of clients looking for this sort of instruction/guiding. Given the sort of terrain it is generally on I see no reason why this needs to be the sole realm of IFMGA quals (but haven;t got time to start the conversation regarding amoutns of training of the 2 schemes!).

Just my 2p.

Cheers,
SC
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gilleski, thanks, good to hear what's going on. Today the EMS, tomorrow the ET and soon I'll be looking at ISTD Toofy Grin wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PS Enjoy Budapest - did a day trip there in 88 (?) would love to go back...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the report, very interesting.

Enjoy your break in Budapest Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
offpisteskiing wrote:
Surely they would be better having an even more in depth focus on avalanche avoidance?

Agreed.

For a some clients I suspect that the differences in expectation between Instructor and Guide are blurred.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So the two most important ski nations in the world didn't bother turning up? Makes the whole meeting seem pretty pointless, a waste of our BASI subscriptions paying to send a representative?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I posted this in the Eurotest thread in response to the German 'pro card' comment from skimottaret

Quote:
skimottaret, That could be very significant to the wider membership. I'm aware of one EU country\region that is no longer recognizing ISIA or previously accepted qualifications.

The status of the ISIA qualification is continuing to diminish in Europe as a license to work. Is there any news on what BASI and the ISIA are doing to reverse this ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Opera in Pest is superb
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alex Leaf, BASI Alpine Director, has written a report on the ISIA meeting in Budapest. You can read it here:

http://ski.world-class-skiing.com/2011/10/12/budapest-isia-meeting/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Reports on security training presented at the ISIA technical meeting in Budapest 2011

http://www.isiaski.org/en/6/2011.html

PSG
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gilleski, would 500 laps at Hemel count as a quality day tour Madeye-Smiley

very nice looking detailed presentation from the Irish wink 10 day tours yikes !
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy