Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lumps, jumps and bumps.....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was watching a short film on the extreme sports channel lkast night. It included snowboarders and skiers jumping off those big ramps that you generally see in ski/board parks. They actually showed the guys turning up on the mountain and meeting up with a piste basher. You were then shown the piste basher creating the jump in time freeze mode.

This got me thinking!! As the jump they built was not in any snow park and was just on the mountainside. How do they arrange the builing of these jumps. Do they have to seek permission from local authorities and/or the mountain/resort owners? Who pays for the building of these jumps? Are they local guys who just know the basher man and slip him a tenner here and there for a favour. OR are they sponsored guys in general whos sponsors organise the building of these jumps?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No names, no pack drill, to protect the guilty.

When I was a young rep we used to do the usual old torchlit descent thing. We'd RV at a hotel at the top and drink till it got dark. This was clearly safer in January than April.

We had the required ski patroller with us and if he could, he'd persuade a friendly piste basher driver to build us a wee jump. Generally in return for a bottle of wine for the long drive down the hill...or to the neighbouring village.

Obviously this was a long time ago, I can't condone that sort of behaviour and you shouldn't try it at home.

But to try and answer your question, I would suspect that a combination of all the above options. You know, if you turn up in resort courtesy of TGR or someone, you'll have way more pull with the ops guys than if you just turn up with your board and ask for a big jump and a wee shot of driving the piste monster.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy