Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help choosing skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I decided before i made any decision i'd ask the experts,

I'm an intermediate skier i can do every run at the cairngorms(not too confidently on some), I do about 10% off piste, and 90% on, but this year i plan on doing a lot of park, say 40% of the time, so i'd be doing 40 park 50 piste and 10 off piste(if that makes sense.) I'm 16, 145lbs and about 172cm.

I plan on getting some brand new skis and i was wondering if you's had any recommendations? i definately can't spend over £400 inc bindings. I was thinking about getting either Scott Punisher Jibs (as they're only £220) Or some salomon suspects with nz12 bindings which are £280. Out of those two which would you guys recommend? or suggest some others please!

thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I hated the Suspects. I rather like the (normal) Punishers. This was a couple of years ago though. But I wouldn't go for a pure park ski unless you are purely pulling massive spins and rails all the time, get a normal sidecut ski otherwise and you'll barely notice the difference - other than the plus points.

I'd recommend the (normal!_ Punishers.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
if i can get the jibs for a lot cheaper and the only difference is they're a bit thinner at the middle i don't see why i'd get the normal ones :S, correct me if i'm wrong.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah, sorry - I thought the Jibs were symmetrical sidecut, but turns out they're not. In which case get them!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
what does symmetrical sidecut mean? i've never known
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Where the tip and tail are the same width, with the bindings mounted dead centre - so they ski exactly the same backwards as forwards. Conventional skis have a wider tip, pintail skis have a significantly narrower tail.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999, ....why did you hate the suspects? I was recommended - so I've got some...yet to get onto them, though....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I only used them for a few hours in a fridge, but the way they turned just didn't feel right. It was a while ago now, but from memory I just couldn't find where to initiate turns on them, and the tails just felt awkward - too much sidecut in the tail maybe?

FWIW I'm no freestyler (at all!!), which I think is what they're made for, so on someone else's feet they may well be brilliant, but I just didn't get on with them.

Maybe you will love them (hope so)!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The JIBS are really nice, have skied the Punisher, and the Punisher JIB, in fact skied every Scott ski over two days, boy they make some nice skis! I am not a JIB type skier it must be said, getting too old, but they were surprisingly agile on the piste, and I think for some skiers you can ignore their intended use as they are damn versatile. I was in fact scratching my head and wondering why bother with the standard Punisher at times. There is a difference but it is subtle, the JIB is quicker to flick on the turns, especially short turns (ie like in the fridge) whereas the standard Punisher felt just a little more stable at speed. Got some Scott Mission tech on both of those skis, and that is no bad thing.

Clarky999 is spot on with the profile, they are not twin tip symmetrical skis but so much the better for it versatility wise, and still a capable park ski when the bindings are smack in the middle (Or used with a Schizo for a really good all-round package):

length
tip (mm)
width (mm)
tail (mm)
radius (m)
13.5 (mmmm, nice and tight!)

Hope this helps,

ScottyDog
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks a lot scotty! just what i needed to hear.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy