Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites & Italian Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
I've been looking at varying resorts that will suit me and my girlfriend for the New Year. We're most likely going to hold out for a late deal as we're looking to either travel the week after New Year or the second week after Feb half term.

Priorities are plenty of intermediate mileage. My girlfriend is a confident intermediate like crusing on blue runs and the challenge of some reds and a few blacks if the conditions are good. I like getting a guide getting of the beaten track and exploring but this trip isn't about that for me. We've never been just the two of us as we usually go in large groups and to France. It's been a while since I've skied in Italy and when I have it's either when I was younger or away days from near by or connected resorts, La Thuile, Comayeuer, Pila, and Cervinia.

Rest of the priorites are ease of access to slopes, doesn't have to be ski in ski out, would rather avoid buses to get immediate access, nice on mountain eateries to stop mid day have a nice meal and enjoy the mountains. I've mostly been looking at Austria but to get what we want prices are relatively high so thought I'd widen the net.

What has attracted me to the Dolomites is the large looking area and unique scenery. So what are the pros and cons to the area and how does Italy compare to Austria and France as a ski holiday?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grizwald, I'd recommend the Dolomites for what you want, the scenery is stunning. The Sella Ronda will give you the mileage and the off-piste guiding if you so desire. If you've never been to the Dolomites it's a must do before you hang up your skis and boots. Very Happy

How does it compare to Austria and France ? It's skiing, say no more, give it a go, you won't be disappointed. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Grizwald, Another reason to consider. The Birthday Bash has been in the Sella Ronda for the last three years. The first year 19 people went and 18 returned the next year plus some more. The next year the one who missed the second turned up for the third. There must be a message there.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
geepee wrote:
Grizwald, Another reason to consider. The Birthday Bash has been in the Sella Ronda for the last three years. The first year 19 people went and 18 returned the next year plus some more. The next year the one who missed the second turned up for the third. There must be a message there.

Yeah, the message was that due to work commitments I sadly couldn't go on the second one Sad . Have already booked my flight for this season's Birthday Bash! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Grizwald, Dolomites is a good option but I would not recommend the week that includes 6th January from our experience last season. It appeared to be rammed with Russians who are some of the rudest, worst skiers I have ever had the displeasure of sharing the slopes with Evil or Very Mad
We are going back there this January... the week later when all the Russians have had their Christmas and gone home.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Grizwald, we skii'd the Dolomites last season (2010/11) in Passo Tonale. First time in a large(r) resort - only been Bulgaria and Lapland resorts before. Thought it was great. Plenty of choice of runs and the place was really quiet. Never had to queue for lifts and food places were pretty good (although Mountain restaurants in Bulgaria were better) Place was pretty cheap too. Had great variety of runs -we are both intermediates. We did a black by mistake but managed it. We are going Les Arcs this season so cant wait for that. This is a video of our Passo Tonale trip - shows off a lot of the scenary

http://youtube.com/v/miFOWvKQ9_8
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the replies. I'd forgotten about the Russian New Year so will need to bear this in mind. Sounds like the Dolomites offer what we're after so will be going on the short list.

Given our requirements which town in the area would suit us best?

Nice video Jon. You'll love Les Arc def an intermediates paradise. Might not like the food and drink prices though!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Grizwald,

Hi

If you want to go to Italy in the 1st week in Jan - don't wait for any late deals - regardless of what you may be advised on SH's wink .

The 1st week in Jan is (by far) the busiest week on Italian ski slopes due to the Italian National Holidays. If you want to go then, book now.

I would recommend Crystal or Neilson for the Sella Ronda area as they both have big operations there, or, better still, just contact Thomas Cooks and see what availability they have.

PS. You should ignore the comments above (or anywhere) generalising about certain nationalities.
Russians are the same as Brits - some nice some not - but they are generally nice people (like every other nationality)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry to disagree Wayne, but I would agree that I was only voicing my own personal experience. (BTW, I am half Eastern European myself).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the additional replies. I need to check my dates for January but I think we can do the first 2 weeks of January. The preference would probably be to go in February with the only negative being the chance I pick up an injury that won't heal by time I go to St Anton at the end of March.

As for the Russians I've been to France many times over Christmas, New Year, and the week after New Year and although I've seen many Russians at the airport I don't think I've ever heard a Russian accent in resort. I've come across Russians on other holidays and have found them to be generally rude, however I have worked with some who have been lovely people. Spannish and others probably see young Brits as larger louts and some of the behaviour I've see of some young Brits abroad (none ski) has really shamed me!

Anyhow I've been doing some digging and some resorts within the Dolomite Superski seem to be more catered to some groups more than others. I'd like at least some challenging stuff within easy access. What's the most cost effective option HB, SC, or B&B. We're not on a tight budget my memories of Italy are it's relatively cheap to drink and eat out.

Cheers
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jon Ford wrote:
Grizwald, we skii'd the Dolomites last season (2010/11) in Passo Tonale. First time in a large(r) resort - only been Bulgaria and Lapland resorts before. Thought it was great. Plenty of choice of runs and the place was really quiet. Never had to queue for lifts and food places were pretty good (although Mountain restaurants in Bulgaria were better) Place was pretty cheap too. Had great variety of runs -we are both intermediates. We did a black by mistake but managed it. We are going Les Arcs this season so cant wait for that. This is a video of our Passo Tonale trip - shows off a lot of the scenary

http://youtube.com/v/miFOWvKQ9_8

Lovely video - we are going here for Christmas, really looking forward to it!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Grizwald, there is lots of challenging off piste too, but you need a guide (see this TR from a recent holiday - it has been on here before but you may not have seen it). The Arabba area has many of the more difficult pistes, towards the the Marmolada - the highest point of the area's skiing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Grizwald, I would echo giving a miss to the first week of Jan because of the Italian Capodanno (New Year) holiday plus the week that includes Russian Christmas on Jan 6, it can get really busy in the Dolomites, the rest of the month will be a lot emptier, particularly in the resorts that cater to a weekend crowd from the N Italian cities. The Sella Ronda areas attract quite an international crowd that tend to stay for the whole week, so the effect is less noticeable.

Any village directly on the Sella Ronda (Selva, Campitello, Canazei, Arabba, Corvara, Colfosco) would be great for you, giving access to an intermediates paradise about 450km of linked skiing in the 4 valleys on the circuit plus the options of exploring other areas a bus ride away (Kronplatz, Val di Fassa, Civetta). Stunning scenery, plentiful sunshine, good-value tasty food that mixes the Austrian & Italian traditions, fun apres are just some of the attractions of this great area.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grizwald, some photos of a trip we did to san cassiano last year http://vimeo.com/21970041 and a blog http://www.insideoutskiing.com/news/blog_files/dolomites_2011.html

in terms of resort i think it would be perfect for you but the holidays as others say may be a problem
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski-ing is different in Italy, there is a distinct element, for whom what you look like is almost more important than what you ski like.

This was showm to me in full contrast on a holiday to La Rosiere (France) which is ski-linked with La Thuile (Italy)

We skied over from La Ros, which was the usual mix of French teenagers being obnoxious and British toilet skiers trying to 'do' the whole mountain on the first day, to La Thuile where the mountain restaurants were full of ladies in fur coats and moon boots with tiny dogs in their handbags and young women accompanying ridiculously tanned and impossibly well-groomed older men.

And I once saw some Italian police (Carabinieri?) on the slopes in Champoluc, their uniforms had definitely been designed with an eye to appearance as well as function.

I am generalising to an extent, of course, but the vibe in Italy is definitely different - I find it very difficult to describe. (It applies everywhere, not just in ski resorts). While they enjoy ski-ing, there is a definite emphasis on the joy of life in everything they do. For this reason alone everyone should try it at least once.
latest report
I agree with most of the above. I lived in Italy until this summer having spent 3 winters in the mountains. I echo those who recommend the Dolomites. Everyone should ski it at least once. Stick to the Sella Ronda resorts for ease of access. My favourite is the area around Colfosco and Alta Badia. Most accomodation is of the Family pension type and not cheap, but "Collets" are worth a look. http://www.colletts.co.uk/winter/
snow report
we have skied Italy numerous times in numerous resorts all for the same reasons as above, resorts often less crowded then france and we love the italian laid back approach! long lunches, easy going attitude, no pushing in ques (if you find one)....... we love it!
snow report
cbowls30 wrote:
we have skied Italy numerous times in numerous resorts all for the same reasons as above, resorts often less crowded then france and we love the italian laid back approach! long lunches, easy going attitude, no pushing in ques (if you find one)....... we love it!

No pushing in queues (if you find one)? Are you serious? The Italians and Germans who frequent the Dolomite resorts do nothing but push in front of you in queues. And it won't take you long to find a queue either especially around the Sella Ronda. Agree with all your other comments though Smile
snow conditions
I rather think Dolomites should be treated differently from the rest of Italy because

(1) one can buy one ski pass for the 12 areas marginally more expensive than for skiing one area. The combined piste in the 12 areas is over 1200km. In term of what is being offered it is one of the best value for money ski passes.

(2) It has Sella Ronda which is linked by 4 areas to form a circular loop. It is the biggest in the world. The linked piste in Sella Ronda has 510km and is the second biggest after 3V of France which has 600km linked piste.

The majority of other Italian resorts is quite small by the Alpine standard of size say between 100 to 150km piste. Thus Dolomites has everything an Italian resort has got but in a mega size. If one goes to 3V one has not much idea where to go. The skiing in Dolomites is more focused at there are several famous loops like Seceda Alps du Suisi, Sellla Ronda, Hiden Valley, Cinque Torri, World War I tour.....
latest report
Didn't realise this thread had new replies since I last checked so thanks!

In the end we actually got a great deal for Kitzbhuel that I couldn't refuse-plus my other half liked the look of the town if she has a half day or full day off.

However last weekend had another great offer through so the last week of January we'll be heading to Selva!

Looking forward to a great season now, although I was in Hintertux in October so it's technically already started.

Looking at the snow reports I'm glad I don't have any trips planed for a while yet...... snowHead
ski holidays
Grizwald, check out the Selva/Val Gardena webcams, they are making the entire piste network out of artificial snow in the absence of any natural white stuff, a great base and hopefully the snow gods will shower their blessing before the end of January!! Smile

http://www.snoweye.com/?resort=it_groden
snow report
Apologies for hijacking the thread. Myself and a mate are planning to go to the Dolomites/Sella Ronda the first week of March. It'll be our first time in Italy as we've previously only been to France. We'd prefer a catered chalet but a hotel is fine too.

Would we do better to book in advance, or wait until a few weeks before and see what deals are available? I'd be grateful for any recommendations for chalets too. All options considered but we'd rather not have to hike a long way to the lifts.

Thanks
ski holidays
godthatssteep,

If you want to do Sella Ronda, which is linked by 4 different resorts of Selva Gardena, Alta Badia, Arabba and Canazei, you can select a hotel according its location and the chairlifts. The hotel location is visible from Google map. Each of the 4 resorts (out of the 12 Dolomites has got), has its own piste map but there is one call Sella Ronda that show the full circular route.

If you get a nice location it pays to grab the accommodation. The majority of the accommodations are in Selva and Alta Badia. Arabba is the smallest but it is closest to Cortina Ampezzo which is a premium resort in Italy, nearest to the Hidden Valley and is part of the World War I skiing tour (itself a unidirectional circular route taking a day). Canazei is a bit out of the way. In fact if you can find a convenient point along the Sella Ronda rout it is as good as anything.
snow report
+1 for Colletts and the Selle Ronda in general. Colletts are well reported here on Snowheads (not just by me). Nice to go with a smaller company - I have never had Mr Neilson call me to check that everything is OK the way that Tom Collett has done.
They have bases in Arabba and Covarra - we stayed in Pedraches at the House Valentin, it was lovely, the food was great, the staff a delight and even our fellow guests were charming (not something that can be a given). As said elsewhere, the Dollomites are not a UNESCO world heritage site for nothing - they are fantastic. The Selle Ronda should be on every skiers bucket list and if you want adventure the Val Nesti is excellent too.
ski holidays
godthatssteep, If you are keen skiers and not looking for a busy nightlife I would say that Arabba is the best location to be based . I have been there many tomes with Colletts and have enjoyed it with good skiing on your doorstep and only short walks 200m to the lifts.
ski holidays
riverman wrote:
godthatssteep, If you are keen skiers and not looking for a busy nightlife I would say that Arabba is the best location to be based . I have been there many tomes with Colletts and have enjoyed it with good skiing on your doorstep and only short walks 200m to the lifts.
Riverman, We're skiers. We only need a quiet bar/restaurant in the evening to gather our thoughts and embellish the events of the day. Colletts do look very appealing if a touch pricey - have to factor in that this a boys getaway so by definition, has to be seen to be good value. Good fallback option though if still available. Other suggestions warmly welcomed.
snow report
godthatssteep We stay at the Vanadis in Selva run by Crysalski, decent food and loads of free wine to get the night started, and if your lucky like we have been, you may even get a good crowd to share with. It has to be one of the cheapest places in the area, and a 5 mins walk to the Ciampioni lift on to the Sella Ronda
latest report
Can anyone tell me whats its like to ski in Passo Tonale?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I suppose it depends on what level of skier you are and what you want.

We went for our first family ski holiday (4 “children” between 10 and 24) last Christmas to Passo after a bit of advise from this forum. Complete beginners and loved it so much we are going back this Christmas (24th Dec – only 16 more sleeps Very Happy ).

Great English speaking instructors and plenty of easy runs to gain confidence on. Also as we are a bit constrained on dates so we needed somewhere with a better than average chance of snow early in the season – we had loads last year.

If you are an experienced skier it might not be for you. We got onto one of the easier (according to our instructor!!??) red runs after a week and all the literature I read about the resort seemed to suggest it was better for beginners/intermediates rather those looking for really challenging runs.

Food in hotel was adequate and everything was pretty close together within the village so not too much walking. Don’t think there is a huge amount of nightlife but we weren’t looking for that.

We are going back this year because we figured it was easier going somewhere we are a bit familiar with whilst we are still beginners so we can concentrate on learning to ski instead of worrying about where everything (hire shop, ski school, lifts etc) is and then maybe try somewhere else next year.

Hth

Rob
snow report
dtmorley@hotmail.co.uk, Not an attractive village - if I was going again I'd stay in Ponte de Legno and get the gondola up each day. Many of the ski runs are almost side by side on the mountain, I didn't like that, preferred the lower treelined slopes around Ponte de Legno. It's great value though, both for food/drink and for buying ski stuff.
ski holidays
Bartezki, Good call. They're struggling with our dates so we may have to be a bit more more flexible. Shows how popular they are though. Thanks for that. Mountain sun in San Cassiano also on the radar.

Don't look at the webcams now. ...leave it ........leave it..!.....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy