Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weight Distribution

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm looking for a little advice with regards to technique.

If we were rating 1-10 (1-3 beginner, 4-7 inter, 8-10 expert) I would say that I am probably about a 4 and have been for a couple of years.

The biggest problem I have is controlling my speed... read on.

I have been told many times about 'getting my weight a bit more forward' and for the life of me I really struggle to do so. I generally feel like the weight is on my heals and rarely feel like I am 'getting forward on the ski'.

2 questions:

#1 Are the above technical problems leading to me building to much speed and thus struggling to control it.

#2 Bar telling me to 'get forward on the ski', any tip/drills/other stuff I can do to ensure I am getting this right and improving..?

Let me just say at this point that I am not 'a bit slow', I have excelled in many sports. Give me a ball and I'll throw it, kick it, bounce it or run with it however you like. In skiing I have met my match!

Words of wisdon please....

Mac
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mac22, sounds like you are leaning back which will speed you up & give you less control. I am sure some more experienced folk than I may be able to give you some drills, but how many lessons have you had? Some quality time with a good instructor would help massively, and will probably be able to pick some specific drills for you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Went to Xscape Castleford and had the worst learning experience ever with some Canadian douchebag instructor. Guy was awful.

Most teaching I have had is from family member who has been excellent to get me this far. I just have hit a plateau. Might have to bite the bullet and get a lesson while out in meribel.... Thats £80 I wont get back!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mac22, being on the back of your skis isn't going to help your speed control. But it's unlikely to be the foot cause of the lack of control.

The lack of speed control is most likely to be the line/path you are skiing and, specifically, that you are not "finishing" your turns.

It may sound obvious, but if you want to control your speed down the hill then you need to finish each turn at the same speed as you entered the turn - otherwise you'll pick up speed from turn to turn. One way to visualise this is that you are making "nine-" or "comma-"shaped turns - i.e 9 - whereas what you need to do is make C-shaped turns.

Specifically, "all" you need to do is turn further up the hill and not start the next turn until you slow down so that your exit speed matches your entry speed.

Simples.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FlyingStantoni, good advice.

Its seems everytime someone tells me "it sounds obvious but..", I learn something.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mac22, what did the chap at xscape have you doing, and what didn't you like?? To pick up on FlyingStantonis suggestion, you could make sure your skis are pointing at the walls in xscape before you make your next turn, which would mean they are horizontal across the hill.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, the phrase 'twist your ankles' was my favourite from him. The 2 beers he had at lunch topped things off!

I don't know, I'm a coach myself, maybe standards were too high...

Now I think about it I am pretty sure I don't 'finish' my turns as you guys say...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mac22, I realise that you might find it difficult, but complain about the Xscape experience. They very least they should do is give you a replacement lesson with someone else.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FlyingStantoni, you're probably right. Little late to do so now, however. Lesson learned (excuse the pun)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mac22, There are some good instructors there, and I think they do some specific clinics which would be cheaper than privates??

Take a look here...

http://www.snozoneuk.com/v/castleford/activities/coaching
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mac22, Yep, as mentioned above it's your turn size and turn shape that will help you control your speed. Decent fore\aft balance will help make your turns easier to initiate but won't actually help you control your speed.

In simple terms smaller, 'finished off' arcs will help most with speed control. An instructor will be able to assist you in developing the technique needed to achieve those.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks guys, great advice as always
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mac22, definitely have some lessons. although people sometimes complain about the "follow me" school of ski teaching, it can be very valuable to have an expert pick a line down the hill, and have you follow closely in his tracks. When I once joined in an ESF class with some people in our chalet, after my OH had had to go home to sort out the roof (which had been half destroyed in a freak tornado) I was aware they were more experienced than I was. I said to the instructor that I hoped I'd be fast enough to join in, and if not would go down to another class. He said "It's not whether you'll be fast enough, but whether you'll be slow enough) and proceeded to take nice controlled S-shaped turns down a red piste. I did indeed struggle to stay behind him, and I realised what he meant. Yes, you need to finish the turns, but if it's a bit steep then you really need to steer the front of your skis round to do that (and yes, you do need to steer with your feet - we're not talking carving here). It's something I continue to struggle with; improvement is slow and one key ambition is to be able to do those slow, controlled, fluid, ski-instructor turns down steep black pistes. Awesome.

One exercise which has helped me is doing 180 turns, swivelling the skis right round, like windscreen wipers, checking the edges each side, so you go down the hill rather slowly, with a path as near as possible the same width as the length of your skis. Easier said than done but really makes you get your weight right. Too far back and you start going backwards...

For most of us it's really hard to know, when it goes wrong, exactly why. That's where the instructor comes in. Good ones can quickly diagnose what we're doing wrong, and suggest ways to put it right. If you've been taught by family members, however helpful, you might have some fairly fundamental faults.

I spent a lot of ski holidays being told to "get my weight more forward" - but not how to do it. One epic lesson (yes it cost £80 for the two of us and that was a good few years ago) a Scottish guy (BASS, Les Gets) told me that skiing was a matter of "standing on your feet" and specifically told me to "stand on the balls of your feet". Lightbulb moment. Lesson was worth every penny.

But unless you are exceptionally gifted you'll need more than one. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mac22, I agree with pam w, about having lessons, but with a good instructor/coach. Maybe some snowHeads in your area could recommend instructors at your local indoor slope or it might be worth using the search facility to see if anyone has already made this enquiry.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would suggest some lessons in Meribel when you are there. You will have a higher qualified instructor than you are likely to get in a snowdome and with the more varied terrain there are lots of different things you can work on.
I work for New Generation in Meribel, check out our website at www.skinewgen.com and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
latest report
Mac22 - if you can feel weight on your heels have you tried "stand up from the knees"? It is quite hard to imagine moving your weight forward...

When you stand in normal shoes you can bend your ankle to help stay balanced... In ski boots it can be tricky to bend your ankles, even though you only need a small amount... plus the boots may not be set up properly... As our body senses the sliding feel as not being stable we also tend to try to be low - so we bend at the knees and waist and get all crunched up. This means the front of our thighs get tired because the muscles are holding up our weight. If you can try to extend at the knees you will often find that this will get you standing more upright with the weight carried by your bones.

If you want to practice stand sideways to a full length mirror and try to have your hips over your arch of your feet. Shoulders over hips also... Doing this is your ski boots may let you get a feel for where you need to stand. If you feel the boot is stopping you try a good bootfitter - perhaps CEM.
latest report
So after a 3 hour stint in the fridge at Glasgow I managed to get forward on the ski's and be a bit more aggressive. Found it quite tough to concentrate on technique with such a gentle slope (wierd?) but definately made some improvments!
snow conditions
Mac22, Think a little about your turn shape. Skiers oftern seem to be back, because they come off the curve to early and the feet move forwards of the hips leaving you behind! Rounded curves will sort you out!

PSG
latest report
Constant pressure on the outside ski will control speed, push harder for greater speed control. Weight should be in the middle of the skis through your boots. Ski schools talk about "lean forward" because on a slope you have to be forward to get the weight over the CENTRE. Make sure you drive the outside hand more forwards in each turn. Leaving the outside hand behind or low will twist your body away from the turn and let the speed get away from you as your skis run down the hill and you're then off balance for the next turn.
snow report
I'm an intermediate skier and have/had pretty much the exact same problem. I've just had a brutally expensive private lesson in Switzerland which was worth every Franc in terms of lightbulb moments. I'm not an expert skier, but it might be worth sharing a couple of insights -

My main problem was that I was skidding through turns, and when you're in Switzerland and all the skiers are locals and absolute experts, that's a bit embarrasing! Remember that it's not just a question of 'getting into the front of your boots' but rather getting your weight as must as possible over the toe of your boot. It was suggested that I imagine myself diving down the hill like a kid pretending to be a fighter plane! That really helped as I could feel my ski tips bite into the turn and pull me around - weight on the ball of your foot, initiate the turn by transferring weight to the uphill ski, rise up, dive down the hill, bend knees through the turn and see can you get the ski out beyond your outside shoulder - like how a cyclist rounds a corner by leaning, not steering. This started to happen for me as I began to get a bit more relaxed.

Keeping your hands up and down the hill will also help you balance - a great tip I got was that if ever you feel your balance going, raising your hands might shift your balance forward enough to save you!

Finishing the turn will help - remember, if you're on your edges, you won't get the slowing effect of a skidding turn which can be a bit disconcerting, but remember, speed is not the enemy: lack of control is the enemy!

It sounds like you're very close... Good luck with it.
ski holidays
Mac22,
At the PSB I had a couple of lightbulb moments (thanks to Pete from Newgen and our very own spyderman).
We did an exercise where you stand up on your skis then your partner puts their hand on your forehead and you push against it. This reinforces the "jumping through a window" effect when going through a turn.
The problem with this is you can then end up pushing your bum back so overall your weight is still not forwards. To counteract this push your hips forwards too and you should feel your ankles flexing forwards.
latest report
Heading back to Braehead in January and again in February. Hopefully I can incorporate some of the suggested adjustments and make some improvements!
snow report
Mac22 wrote:
Might have to bite the bullet and get a lesson while out in meribel.... Thats £80 I wont get back!

That's £80 that will be repaid to you every time you step into a pair of skis.
latest report
Mac22, Obviously loads of advice has been thrown your way so quite a lot to think about!

I've skipped down to the bottom so sorry if this has already been addressed. With regards to getting your weight further forward, dont think about leaning over the front of your skis as that can be intimidating and quite hard for some. Instead think about tucking your toes back underneath your knees. So bringing your feet backwards rather than the rest of your body forward. You still want to be flexing into the front of the boot, but you want to be flexing into an () shape (like riding a horse for too long), so make sure when you flex into the boot, your flexing into the outside edge (the outer side of the tongue is a good place to aim).

Hope that helps.
snow conditions
James the Last, very true. I suppose it only amounts to about 3 or 4 beers in Meribel! Laughing

Thanks for the advice Stowski, I think a lesson is in order, but I get your meaning
snow report
One common thing that puts people in the back seat is making turns with knees. If you only turn with knees (instead of turning with feet and ankles and only then the rest with knees) you have to bend the knees too much. And because the boots prevent you from bending your ankles correspondingly, you end up sitting on the tails of the skis.
snow report
Hi Macc22, this is a common problem you're experiencing. You need to balance on the central point of your foot - your 'sweetspot'. This is the point that instructors recommend and it can change your skiing for good. If you're interested I can give you a bit more information about this as we sell a trainer specifically geared to this. If you like, I can private message you, just let me know.
ski holidays
Do you have issues with short achilles tendons/tight calves. Being tight there can make it hard to get forward and get any flex out of the boots, so you are stuck with your weight back physiologically...

In which case a visit to a boot fitter (or just some insoles) might help more than lots of lessons. If your ankles won't bend in the way you need them to, all the lessons in the world won't change that, but "cheating" by improving your range of motion with a little heel lift might (and in between holidays work on the ankle flex...)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Do you have issues with short achilles tendons/tight calves.

very good point, and a boot fitter might well help, but so would some very simple stretching exercise (see CEM's website). Women who wear heels a lot have a particular problem with this.
ski holidays
You may want to try a product on the net called Pole Position, www.skipoleposition.com, it helps with your body position, balance, stance.... It is a training tool. Hope that helps.
snow report
mav54, begone with your riduculous strap
latest report
????????? I have tried and it helped me.
ski holidays
You can use a third ski pole to achieve a similar thing. But more tricky to hold, but works on the same principle..
ski holidays
You said it, your pole method is TRICKY to hold. Why go thru all that when the strap is flexible, adjusts, easy to attach to your poles, does not interfere with your skiing, can be put away easily when not training and provides you instant feedback as to how you are skiing. DO KNOCK IT UNLESS YOU TRIED. I HAVE!
ski holidays
mav54, because it's quick and easy and free.
ski holidays
Mac22, Please get in touch with Xscape to discuss your lesson experience, I am sure your concerns will not fall on deaf ears. There are very many excellent instructors at Castleford and I am sure your experience can be reversed. As kitenski references, the ski clinics would be worth a look.
latest report
rob, id o not know what you mean by quick, easy and free? I felt that this product did help with my skiing.
ski holidays
mav54, you don't have to pay €30 for a bit of webbing, so it's free, and you can always borrow a ski pole to achieve the same drill, so it's quick and easy.

I'm glad that it helped you with your skiing, but I can't see the point of paying money when you can achieve the same result for free.
ski holidays
How much do you pay for a ski instructor?
ski holidays
mav54, I am a ski instructor.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy