Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PYRENEES SNOW REPORT 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks Stella....surely the snow has to fall soon? Even 20cm would freshen things up nicely. As long as I can ski a decent amount and my family get on okay with beginner lessons it'll have to do. Everything is booked so I'm going nowhere else...until another late March trip with a mate, where I don't know as yet.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep. We worry and worry, but we ain't going anywhere else.

Back to the prayer mat.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Michael B

What does this say now!!

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_243_ens.png

Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, as I said I am not any sort of expert but it looks like temps dropping consistantly from 15th onwards with, hopefully some snow on 17th, and some more from 21st onwards. How much I dont know.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stella wrote:
dredgey, The Weather Channel suggest a bit on the 18th, too, but we are only talking 30-40% chance. Need to get rid of this high pressure. Although as I'm currently sitting ouside on the terrace at 18 degrees...

30-40% snow is a step in the right direction.... although 18 degrees is delightful!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kinda pleased with myself. Worked out the ensemble for soldeu, as near as I can.

Wikipedia says Soldeu is 42.576944, 1.667222, so the best I could get to is:

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?x=&y=&ext=1&run=0&lat=42.5&lon=1.6&runpara=0&type=0

Which has Risque de Niege at the bottom !!!!

La Mongie would be 42.91, 0.179167, and therefore:

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?x=&y=&ext=1&run=0&lat=42.9&lon=0.2&runpara=0&type=0
Both seem to have permanent snow possibilities from the 16th onwards.

Well I'm pleased with myself anyway Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bruisedskier, Can you work out Baqueira ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bruisedskier wrote:
Well I'm pleased with myself anyway Laughing

I'm well pleased with you too for finding that news! I'm glad you understand the chart too because to me it looks like a spiragraph drawing that went wrong!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I spent a fantastic day over at Baqueira yesterday, clear blue skies, the temperatures remained low and first thing they still cad the cannons running over at Beret. I was impressed both with the snow cover and the quality of the pistes though ski-able off-piste is virtually none-existent as a hard glazed layer has formed.

Wonderful day, I just hope that some snow fall soon to freshen everything up. Smile Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Baquiera 42.699167, 0.946667

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?x=&y=&ext=1&run=0&lat=42.6&lon=0.9&runpara=0&type=0

50% CHANCE OF SNOW ON THE 22ND.

Easy Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dredgy, at the bottom it shows you little snow flake symbols, with a percentage figure above.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bruisedskier wrote:
Dredgy, at the bottom it shows you little snow flake symbols, with a percentage figure above.

Oh yeah! Didn't see that, looks quite hopeful for quite a few days.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bruisedskier, snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can assure you 100% probability that it will snow on/after 22nd.

Thats the day I leave Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well as long as it pukes 22nd to 28th I'll be happy!!!
latest report
It's looking good for then. Very Happy
snow conditions
Wow, anybody seen what J2SKI are saying is heading for Soldeu-Grandvalira!!

12cm on Saturday.

http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Andorra/Soldeu_el_Tarter_snow.html
snow report
La Mongie, 16th Jan

Hard, icy, slick, empty, sunny. Snow needed - but at least it is staying cold so not all running off the mountain.

TWC are forecasting a week of snow from Thursday 19th. Meteo France have showers of rain or snow from Thursday.

Fingers crossed it'll be chains at the ready from Friday.

Stella.
snow report
Stella wrote:
La Mongie, 16th Jan

Hard, icy, slick, empty, sunny. Snow needed - but at least it is staying cold so not all running off the mountain.

TWC are forecasting a week of snow from Thursday 19th. Meteo France have showers of rain or snow from Thursday.

Fingers crossed it'll be chains at the ready from Friday.

Stella.

Please make it snow!!!
snow report
get it dumping over the grandvalira from about the 26th until the 1st feb and I'll be a happy boy, predictions?
ski holidays
temitchell, let us know what it's like when you get back 'cos we're out there 5th 12th Feb.
ski holidays
I am going out on the 23rd for a week and it doesn't look good! The Snow reports seem useless though. One day it will say its due snow and the next it totally different. At the moment, from looking at various sites it looks as if Grandvalia will get some rain/snow from the 20th onwards but this looks as if it will fall as rain rather than snow Sad. Keep looking at the webcams and the slopes seem empty....is anyone actually skiing?!
latest report
Yep, one minute it seems to forecast sizable dumps of snow next nothing, or rain Sad

I'm holding out for the averages...to eventaully average and dump some snow, ........although if the average temp is high, then it'll just rain. Then, if averages are anything to go by, it'll be my fault (according to my Wife.)

This made me chuckle though (sweet irony) - Pasted on the Grandvalira site -- "The organisers of the Grandvalira-Soldeu 2012 World Cup have accepted the request from the International Ski Federation (FIS) to organise the giant slalom competition that had to be suspended at the Courchevel ski resort due to excessive snow.........This makes Grandvalira-Soldeu 2012 the venue for the skiing world’s greatest spectacle, with three World Cup events in February: two giant slaloms and a slalom on February 10, 11 and 12, all on the legendary Avet slope."

Wow, world class puddle surfing, that'd be worth seeing.
latest report
Quote:
"The organisers of the Grandvalira-Soldeu 2012 World Cup have accepted the request from the International Ski Federation (FIS) to organise the giant slalom competition that had to be suspended at the Courchevel ski resort due to excessive snow.........This makes Grandvalira-Soldeu 2012 the venue for the skiing world’s greatest spectacle, with three World Cup events in February: two giant slaloms and a slalom on February 10, 11 and 12, all on the legendary Avet slope."

Laughing

Gang of about 10 heading over Feb 21st so praying for a few dumps of snow before then! Very Happy
snow conditions
infonieve.es are predicting snow for about then.

Hang on let me add it up....lets see.........carry that, add that and ....then that... plus...

1.9 mm !!!
snow report
The eastern Pyrenees do seem to be suffering this year. Yesterday it was forecasting 30cm to fall over the weekend in Bareges/La Mongie and today it's saying about 10cm. Compare that with some of the French Alps resorts this weekend and it's quite easy to feel jealous. You almost get the feeling that all of the snow is going to fall late season now because the weather system has been like it is for so long now.
snow report
looks like the back end of the season could be a wash out, how are the temperatures going to stay low?

Sorry depresion setting in Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
I decided to go to the mid-Pyrenees this time because Tourmalet as a ski area has a great snow record so I'm still hopeful that by the time I get there on Feb 9th for a long weekend the slopes will have been refreshed sufficiently to be skiable all over as opposed to 70%.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm out on the 29th to Pas and I'm still hopeful. So many things change so quickly that there is still a good chance of a dump of snow between now and then.
I'm more worried that I think me and my mate are currently booked into a double room. Shocked I'm hoping it's actually a twin, or that I can change it. Laughing
ski holidays
people on the in resort forum for the grandvalira seem pretty hopeful that this Friday and Saturday is going to be the dump. Perhaps not an alpsesque but enough, just enough PLEEASEEEEE
snow report
We are heading out to the pyrennes on feb 14th to stay with family in Ax Les Thermes. The plan was to do some ski-ing in Bonascre and maybe Pas de la Casa, thought it would be a great opportunity to get the kids lessons and improve their ski-ing at a smaller resort. Now it looks like we might be mountain biking instead. Anyone hopeful that the snow will improve by then?????

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 17-01-12 22:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Unfortunately the temperatures are climbing again. The forecast 5 days ago was for some significant snow down to about 1400m this coming weekend, however this has now disappeared and temperatures are rising. At the moment there are no indications of cool/snowy weather setting in before the end of the month. Sad Sad
snow report
Hmm, that 30 cm forecast for this weekend in Tourmalet area has gone down to 10 cm and now 2cm in three days. You couldn't make it up Confused
snow report
Tourmalet
http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?x=&y=&ext=1&run=0&lat=42.9&lon=0.1&runpara=0&type=0

Click through the hours at the bottom Dernier diagramme du run de : 0h - 6h - 12h- 18h - 4 derniers

Looks a little better today.
snow report
Model weirdness here again, for Grandvalira. Potentually big peaks, low probability.

snow conditions
I'm sat at he bottom of the mountain, some 30minutes drive from La mongie.

Clouds are brewing overhead...but the temperature donw here is around 6 above freezing...
latest report
Strax keep us updated Very Happy
snow report
Still looking promising for most of next week. The webcams look like the slopes are empty so hopefully they will not get too much of a bashing.
Cant wait to get there on the 29th just after a huge dump of snow. Laughing
If you want to see Pas just after a big dump of snow check my "snowMedia zone" photos.
ski holidays
Michael B wrote:
The webcams look like the slopes are empty so hopefully they will not get too much of a bashing.
Cant wait to get there on the 29th just after a huge dump of snow.

I was just going to say the same thing myself! I don't know whether to be excited to know I'm going to practically have my own private ski domain when I get there on the 28th or worried that everyone knows something that I don't and gone to the alps instead?!...

Where is everybody:

http://www.n-py.com/fr/hiver/grand-tourmalet/domaine-skiable/webcams/vid/webcam2
latest report
Strax, Cloudy overhead, 40 mins north of Mongie and the sun still shining on the peaks. The forecast yesterday was snow down to 1300 but is now 1700 (Meteo France) TWC is still talking snow. Fingers crossed.

Mr Stella and myself will almost certainly be up tomorrow, although we have been know to turn around and go home again if its raining too much!! Looking at the cams for today, you'll probably spot us - we'll be the other other 2 folks on the mountain... Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy