Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Uneven base wear?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any thoughts as to why the wax is wearing off the base of my skis nearer the edges a lot quicker than it is on the centre of the bases?

The centre of the base is dark (as if freshly waxed) and the edges are very light in colour and scored.

Could this be an incorrect base angle?

Cheers Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Feast, That is normal, just wax them again.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I waxed them prior to going to Hemel. Skied 10-4, then signs of wear straight away.

Maybe the wax is too soft? It's just a universal DataWax.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/2431/products/holmenkol_indoor_ski_and_snowboard_wax.aspx
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Perhaps you are edgeing the skis when skiing?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's normal thing. Wax is not meant to last forever. Based on experience (and helluva lot of tests), wax in general last for very very short time (less then 50km), and this when skis are race skis, prepared much better then normal recreational skis. This is reason, why I'm keep telling waxing daily is good thing Wink
Why wax "wears" faster on edges then in middle of base? Simply, because there's much more friction, and pressure on edges then in center of skis. And more speed and harder snow, more is this noticeable. That's reason why all race skis nowadays have inserts on edges. Yet base still gets burned, and I really mean burned after single DH run if conditions are "right".
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Feast,
Quote:

I waxed them prior to going to Hemel.

Indoor snowdome snow is much harder and more abrasive than proper snow, I find the same thing at Hemel, its even worse at MK as I end up with more scratchs as well there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Datawax PolarX & Zardoz Notwax
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try never putting the skis on their edges and running them flat at all times, when you reach terminal velocity, just scream as loud as you can and people will get out of the way. This, incidentally is how i learned to ski. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just need to wait now for some pleb from BZK to come and explain some crazy "A Frame X W Q A nonsense pivot hip angle shoulder barge technique" incase I can't carve a ski properly. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Try never putting the skis on their edges and running them flat at all times, when you reach terminal velocity, just scream as loud as you can and people will get out of the way. This, incidentally is how i learned to ski. Toofy Grin

You ARE the 15 year old girl who missed me by about a foot at the bottom of HH and then ploughed straight into the netting, and I claim my etc etc.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cynic wrote:
Perhaps you are edgeing the skis when skiing?

Unlikely, I'm a pretty poor skier... Embarassed

Thanks for the thoughts people. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi, we see this all the time, and its why we say use the rentals for the fridge (Says he who took his brand new Tigershark 11 Feet to Milton Keynes, but heck if you own a ski shop...) It is heat generation, it happens to a degree on the mountain too, there is a specific wax process designed to combat this which we have been playing with for a few months since Harry one of our tech returned from a season working with a Canadian team tech in Whistler, and got to say it makes sense and achieves a result. I will try and find time to stick it on our DIY guides on our website.

Looking in the skip behined any dry ski slope will show how much heat can attack that area, simply melts the base and any repairs away. Edges can actually get pretty hot under friction, one of our guys did an entire thesis on it! Forgot to ask what grade he got though Smile

Datawax is a good choice, and got to say we have had good results with the Holmenkol Indoor wax when testing and from customer feedback, it is easier to scrape and brush than some of the harder Data Waxes. It doesnt last quite as long but glides really nicely on the unique snow the fridges churn out.

And Zardoz is king as a finishing coat. Especially when it is porridgey. Is that a word?

Hope this helps.

ScottyDog
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy