Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have I done the right thing

Poster: A snowHead
This may be a stupid question but ......... 1st threads often are....Anyway
I am new to skiing (did one weekender in Meribel and was ok on green runs by the 2nd day) but that was a few years ago.

I have booked a week for myself and 10 year old son in Meribel for 16th Dec 2011
I have taken him to the local dry slopes for a couple of go's and decided to upgrade both our lessons to Intermediate level after witnessing the exponential rate at which he is learning.

I am just about ok doing a bit of parrallel skiing between snowplows on green runs (I think)
Please have a look at us here on Youtube..........

http://youtube.com/v/KOEoarSudE8

Do you think we will be ok to go to Intermediate classes or should I revert to beginners?????...we never had lessons before.
As I said this was our 3rd and 4th outing on the video.
We are spending a few hours per week on the dry slopes at Chatham & Brenwood & have a few weeks to cram in the practice sessions.

What I am really hoping for is that by midweek in Meribel we will be up to Blue run standard in order to explore the 3 Valleys and use our Area passes.

Any feedback at all is muchly appreciated
Many Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just my opinion but I think you’re all doing brilliantly.

Although – as normal - the little boy seems to picking it up quicker than the adults. Give him a few days and he’ll be teaching you, Laughing . Eg. Have a look at around 5:10 the adults are doing what adults do and using their muscles to turn where as the boy seems to be starting to use the skis to turn. At your level, don’t worry about this though. The better you get at skiing the less you’ll use your muscles to grind around the skis.

A suggestion for you. Whilst you are having lots of fun as a family – which to tell you truth is what it’s all about, a great family trip would be to call to one of the big fridges that are dotted around the country and take a few hours of lessons there. This will get you used to performing your new found skills on real snow. I'm not sure how much it'll costs but I think that sometimes they have deals on where you can get your gear, lift pass and lessons all in once price.

As for lessons, by the time the time you go on holiday you’ll be wonderful (only a few years to the next winter Olympics ??), so yeah, book some intermediate lessons, The instructor will be able to pick up your level with a minute or so on the first day and gear the lessons accordingly.

Lastly. Don’t fall into the trap that some people do and think that skiing is all about technique. It’s not. It’s a family holiday 1st, so as long as you’re enjoying it you’ll get pick it up anyway.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 8-10-11 7:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haven't watched the vid, but TBH the levels can be a bit confusing, if the instructor thinks you will be better off in another group they will put you in that group. Usually the first day includes a bit of shifting as people decide they are being held back or feel they would benefit from moving down a group.

I would say there is no point is trying to hold on in a group that is well above your ability as its no fun for you or the group.

I think you can get across the 3v if you are ok on blues, but its much better if you are comfortable on reds as it opens up a few more options.

Just remember to have fun as that is whats its all about.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would agree with mt, the instructor will make adjustments to benefit you and the group he is teaching for the next five days. I remember our second day skiing, watching our 8 and 7 year old coming down a red, hands behind their backs, whilst we were still struggling to stand up. We enjoyed ski school and the laugh you had with others of similar ability.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
franzClammer, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead You're doing great, and by having started on a dry slope you will experience how much nicer it is on snow! My son learnt on plastic at about that age prior to a weekend trip to the Cairngorms organised by my office. When we finally got up the slope (I have never, in the 25 years skiing since, experienced such horrendous queues) and he set off down, in front of me, he did about half the slope then turned round and shouted "It's much easier than the dry slope Mum!". His little shining face was a treat.

Might be worth asking the people who know Meribel ski schools about which one to choose; they're not all the same and there's some very good instruction available in the 3 Valleys.

But yes, as Wayne and others have said, the 10 year old will learn so much faster than you that you probably won't be in the same class for long! You need a ski school with small groups, and flexible about mix of ages and abilities, ready to move you very quickly if necessary.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
franzClammer, brings back memories Smile and i agree with Wayne, get yourselves booked on some more lessons - if there is a kids club at the slope thats where the lad would learn best AND enjoy himself - 10 years olds get bored very quickly having to tag along with cautious adult learners. The same goes for you, if there is some sort of club that you can join. If you can also afford a session at a snow dome then do it to experience the slippy stuff and the cold. Above all enjoy yourselves.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you all VERY much for your reassurances & invaluable advice
I know that this will be the most memorable weeks holiday that my son & I are likely to take....the week before Xmas in the Alps skiing & home in time for Xmas Eve excitement.

Skiing is such a beautiful & liberating experience, I just aint used to him outstripping me at activities at age 10.......noone told me about this facet of parenting.... Confused ......lol

It will be just Me 46yrs Dad & Ronnie 10yrs, so I am counting on him making some friends at the ski school, actually that goes for me too Madeye-Smiley

We study the piste map constantly & fantasize about stringing together long blue & green runs to avoid queueing at Altiport lifts too much.

I cant tell you how excited we are & counting the days until we fly to Geneve

Thanks again everyone
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi franzClammer and welcome to Snowheads.

Firstly as someone who very often is on the other end of things... receiving students into lessons out in the French Alps (Val d'Isere) not Meribel Ill add my thoughts.

Firstly YES it is supposed to be fun. YES it is a family holiday and all that. People if they get themselves in the correct frame of mind and don't overestimate (usually men) and underestimate (often women) their abilities then things usually go just fine. The technique is obviously what gets you down the mountain and is important but don't lose sight of the idea that having FUN is what it is all about.

I would agree TOTALLY with what has been said before - get yourself some lessons at a local dry ski or indoor snow centre (im based at Hemel Snow Centre) before you head out. Only a few will suffice.

Next contact ski schools (I would always recommend British schools out in the Alps - e.g. BASS Meribel) and get some lessons booked. Non French schools (e.g. BASS (British Alpine Ski School)) are a little more expensive than French schools (e.g. the ESF) but I like to think (and most people would probably agree) that the extra expense is usually worth it (of course there are good gems and not so good gems in every school!). If you have already booked then contact them again now. If not already booked then contact schools and mention what you are thinking in terms of ability. Explain you have done skied on snow before and that you have (or will have) done some lessons back in the UK (BE TOTALLY honest) and would like to go into a group of people who are more early intermediate rather than pure beginner. As instructors we can move people between groups (if there is a group to move people to and to be honest 16th December is NOT peak season so not 100% confident that there would be a group you can move into) and an instructor will know within 10 seconds of meeting you / seeing you ski whether you are in a group that it is too high or too low for you.

When you get out there keep an open mind and PRACTICE inbetween lessons what you have been taught and before you know it your blue run goal will become a reality.

One final note - kids learn in different ways to adults so if you can make sure you and your son are in different groups - albeit lower intermediate then all the better. However a good quality instructor should be able manage the 'split' if adults and kids were in the same group. Kids have a lower centre of gravity, weigh less (obviously) and carry less momentum so often they do progress faster but faster progress and faster speed down the slope are mutually exclusive (i.e. speed does not necessary mean better!).

Good luck,

Steve
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
franzClammer, in terms of english speaking ski schools in Meribel I've always been happy with New Generation some of these instructors have been on Snowheads bashes too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi franzClammer, if you can ski like that on a dryslope there are several areas in and around Meribel and Courchevel that will be fine for you. All of the Altiport area will be no problem, and maybe the run down to Meribel Village later in the week; when you want to use your area pass go towards C1850 using the Rocher de la Loze lift and hang around the pistes surrounding the Biollay/Pralong/Verdons/Jardin Alpin lifts - you will be fine.

When you're a bit more confident go towards C1650 via Pramuruel where all the blues are skiable for your level. When coming back use the Petite Bosses drag and Gravelles lift back to Pralong in C1850. Go back to Meribel on the Coqs/Chenus and Col de la Loze lifts and the Boulevard de la Loze so as not to scare yourself.

I wouldn't recommend Meribel Mottaret for your level and there's no really comfortable way back from St Martin de Belleville either. Take lessons in the morning and put it into practice (have fun!) in the afternoon. For me, the 3v is still the best ski area in the world. Enjoy Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
franzClammer, In my opinion if you are going somewhere with a New Generation ski school (which you are) it'd be just plain daft to waste your money on any other ski school! If you've got lessons in your package cancel them, I still don't believe how much difference those guys made to my skiing in 3 lessons on the EoSB last year>
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
franzClammer, I'd be surprised if you have any lift queue issues in mid-December. More likely to have snow-cover issues, but with luck it should be fine. One huge advantage of having ski lessons is that your instructor will know exactly where to take you given the snow conditions and given your abilities. It's worth continuing to practice on slopes you've done with an instructor - there can be quite a major hike in difficulty even within the same "colour" pistes and you'll learn a lot faster, and enjoy yourself more, if you are on terrain which you can cope with comfortably. don't be fooled by the colour labels; a blue piste with nasty snow conditions can be much harder than a nice newly pisted red one - and from what little time I've spent skiing in Meribel/Mottaret I seem to remember some quite tricky sections in the middle of blue pistes - where people were struggling. Weather makes a big difference too - sunshine makes everything far easier; poor visibility saps the confidence of even very experienced skiers. Just be prepared to adapt to what you find, rather than do too much advance planning.

It's also quite possible that not everything will be open that early in the season. But unless you are very unlucky there should be plenty to provide a great contrast to plastic.

Where are you staying?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w....

Quote:

It's worth continuing to practice on slopes you've done with an instructor - there can be quite a major hike in difficulty even within the same "colour" pistes and you'll learn a lot faster, and enjoy yourself more, if you are on terrain which you can cope with comfortably. don't be fooled by the colour labels; a blue piste with nasty snow conditions can be much harder than a nice newly pisted red one

... how true.[/b]
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FranzClammer, excellent video, but most important for me, brilliant music track. Can you please tell me the Artist and title of that track. I would love to use it on the slopes. Cool
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dont overthink it, go, have fun, fall over, laugh, learn a bit, look around now and then and enjoy it! It's a hard-earned holiday, dont stress through it!
latest report
Thanks again guys...
We are staying at Chalet la Grangettes above the Cactus Bar virtually on the Chaudanne as far as I can tell.

I really should have come on here before booking through the travel agent.......We are going with Inghams, who informed me today that we our lessons are booked with ESF Meribel...... listening to what you guys say I might call them and see how flexible our booking is...it's one of these Ski-Saver packs.

I'm certainly learning a lot in terms of costs & requirements
I think our next trip will be a site cheaper....DOH! rolling eyes

Dr No:
The music is by Cold Play - Paradise
snow conditions
That location's excellent. You can go straight up the Rhodos lift to the Altiport area and build your confidence when not in ski school. Ditch the ESF lessons and book with New Generation or another British ski school. At your level (and as an adult learner) you need to be certain that the Instructor will explain the theory behind skiing technique as well as demonstrating it. That way, when you go off on your own in the afternoon to practice you will know what you're trying to achieve and why you're doing it.
ski holidays
franzClammer, The pogression you are looking for in your skiing is from plough turns to plough parallel (ie bringing your skis parallel towards the end of the plough turn) You both probably need to spend time developing your plough turns,(eg narrowing your stance and developing the use of pressure through a more dynamic use of the legs) so it may be there is a snowplough turn class to suit you. I wouldn't have a problem, however, taking you both into a plough turn to plough parallel class since I find the first stage of that class is usually to work on the plough turn. The better your technique in the plough turn the easier the progression is.

It wouldn't make sense to revert to a beginner's class. If the available lessons are labelled in terms of progressions, then look for "plough turn to plough parallel" or you can explain to the ski school that is the level you need.
latest report
franzClammer, I hadn't read the original post properly and hadn't twigged that you already had lessons booked as part of a package. Although my personal preference would be for New Gen you are just starting out and I'm sure you will learn a lot from ESF so don't be too worried if your tour operator can't change the package. Meribel is very geared up for the British market and all instructors will be used to dealing with English speakers. In addition you will learn a lot from the other members of your group (and from just getting out on a mountain). I do agree with Raceplate and davkt to some degree but you will learn from any instructor. My first instructor was French and it didn't do me any harm (although I think my group of 30-something complete beginners almost broke him Laughing ). It was a little more challenging on the language front, but I learnt a lot from a very experienced instructor (his English is very good, but some of his phrases confused me).

A mountain is very different from a dry slope or a snowdome so be prepared for a bit of relearning when you get out there. Trust the instructors if they suggest you move up or down a group.
snow report
franzClammer, even our small ski village has some English-speaking ESF instructors who are both very nice people and - having seen what total beginners have achieved with them in the space of a week - very good teachers (although as with most things, the people who progress the fastest are those who practice a lot in between lessons). Just go with the flow, have fun, and enjoy what will hopefully be the first of many happy ski holidays for you and your son. You'll discover what bits of the trip worked for you, so you'll know what to think about when booking next time. Don't overthink before you've even got there! It will be a fab holiday snowHead
latest report
Yes, I agree, if your lessons are already booked in with your package, go with that. In mid December, which is VERY early season, you will probably not find yourself in one of those ridiculously big groups which can give the ESF a bad name. You are keen and obviously quite fit and active, and you'll make rapid progress anyway. But your lad will be in a different group - I don't think ESF group lessons would ever mix 10 year olds and adults. That's all to the good, kids learn by following around not by being talked at.

By the end of the week they'll have him skiing backwards and twiddling round through the trees and doing little jumps and having great fun.

Try whenever possible to be right behind the instructor - so you have an excellent example of skiing right in front of you. Good instructors will always swap people round and tend to put the weaker skiers right behind them, but if it's all a bit casual, and the others aren't bothered, you might find you get a good few hours being in front. Following in the exact tracks of an expert skier, skiing at your level, is just fantastic. I've done that quite a lot now and when you don't have to think at all about where you are going, it's surprising what you can do. There's a French instructor here I've had quite a few private lessons with, and he judges it just right; not too fast, not too slow, and exagerates his movements so I know what's going on. We have lessons in French, because my French is a little better than his English, and I like it that way as I get a "free" French lesson, but he has also taught friends who don't speak any French and they've all - at levels from complete and nervous beginner through to really quite good skiers, had nothing but praise for his lessons.
ski holidays
Some excellent advice so far.....Thanks again Razz
Aren't Forums amazing!
latest report
Hi Franz, I hate to be the lone voice of pessimisim - but having looked at the video I think you'll struggle in most 'intermediate' lessons, which usually mean parallel skiing on blue runs. However equally you are well past the first beginner class and look to be doing well so I understand the dilemma! It's not normal to only get offered beginner or one category of intermediate - there is usually one in between which is the one you want Smile ESF offer levels 0-4, you want level 1 or 2 imo, see here: http://www.esf-meribel.com/ski-school-meribel/cours-ski-collectif/cours-collectifs-alpin.jsp. 1 if you'd rather risk being bored than being overfaced, 2 if you prefer a bit of challenge. Don't worry about your son, all the kids learn at light speed, he'll be fine no matter what class he starts in! As a starting point I'd suggest one star is probably right for a kid who hasn't been on snow before but has the basics down.

Call you tour op and see if they understand the 0-4 levels, if not then stay as you are (to avoid a morning of 'this is le left ski, this is le right ski NehNeh) but make sure your instructor knows you haven't skied snow before you all set off - that info alone should put you in the correct 'beginners plus' or 'novice' class. Or just check the little ski school card your tour op will give you to give to the instructor: if it says classe 1 or 2 Smile If it says 3 put your hand up and ask questions before setting off. One thing to note is snow is different to dry ski and you'll fall back a little in competence the first day as you adjust - after that snow is easier but the transition from one to the other can throw you for the first hour, so don't worry if you seem to be all knees on day1, by day 2 you'll be back on form snowHead

I'm sure both of you will easily be on meribel blues after a couple of days - I'm not sure you NEED an area pass, but if you WANT one to explore I think you'll find you are more than capable of heading over to les menuires and courchevel by the end of the week.

Have a great time!

aj xx
snow report
Quote:

I think you'll find you are more than capable of heading over to les menuires and courchevel by the end of the week.

that might depend a bit on snow conditions, as well as ski ability. The only time I've done an early season (December) week in Meribel links to the other valleys weren't open IIRC. And with ski lessons in the mornings, there won't be much time anyway - and there's more than enough in the Meribel valley.
latest report
A little update on our progress, a slightly different surface.
We are gonna stick with the ESF School in Meribel this time round.
Hopefully the groups will be smallish this early.
Also planning at least one afternoon at Hemel before we go, it's a bit of a stretch from Kent.

http://youtube.com/v/-GppqGih8ys
ski holidays
franzClammer,

" Also planning at least one afternoon at Hemel before we go"

Would be much better very first thing, while the snow is groomed, an afternoon at Hemel will feel very different from what you are currently doing and a lot busier! Better still book a lesson there!
snow conditions
Points noted..
Many thanks
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I think you'll find you are more than capable of heading over to les menuires and courchevel by the end of the week.

that might depend a bit on snow conditions, as well as ski ability. The only time I've done an early season (December) week in Meribel links to the other valleys weren't open IIRC. And with ski lessons in the mornings, there won't be much time anyway - and there's more than enough in the Meribel valley.

Very Happy - the snow I can't vouch for! I hadn't seen how early it was actually - pam might be right - maybe get a (much cheaper) local pass and extend it in resort (you can get day extensions) for a couple of afternoons if you find snow is good/you want to?

aj xx
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have been looking at this site for an indication as to the usual snow conditions in Meribel during December.
There is an archive & i produces looped film clips which show Las Chaudanne & the lower lifts all working
I think there are other cams on this sie somewhere that do similar for Rond Point etc
May be of some use to others visiting Meribel etc.

http://livecam.meribel-alpina.com/
ski holidays
This is a beter link.......

http://www.meribel.net/ski-2010/outils/webcams.html?from=VITRINE
snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy