Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

They've gone bonkers.

Poster: A snowHead
This at the top of the SCGB forum - surely they've gone mad:

"The Club's image has improved considerably over the past few years. One aspect we have worked on is asking people to refer to the Club as 'the Ski Club' rather than 'SCGB' and we have successfully lost the previously-used abbreviation.

"Our reps don't use 'SCGB' anymore, and we don't publish 'SCGB' in any Club publications, correspondence, or on www.skiclub.co.uk. Talking about 'SCGB' feels like living in the past, and if you use this, you are not helping the Club's image.

"The Ski Club has come a long way since the days of 'the SCGB' - this website is an example of the Club's progress, together with its steadily growing membership numbers. Your support on this issue would be appreciated."
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They definitely need to go back on the tablets.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DavidS, well, it's good to know that there's only one Ski Club. The definite article makes it so. Oh, my! rolling eyes Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh Good grief is this another example of spin, I know my membership card still says The Ski Club of Great Britain not The Ski Club, Mind you I also have my old DHO membership card as well Exclamation
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DavidS.

'GB' stands for 'Great Britain', not 'Gone Bonkers'.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David, I'm not so sure anymore Confused
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That whole paragraph is out of context, does not make sense, just a load of incoherent gibberish Confused

Does that mean that the club is solely for skiers. what about the boarders and the people who enjoy being in the mountains?

I did suggest in the other place, as part of a wider reform of the club, that the club should drop the word skiing and use snowsports instead. Get the younger ipeople nvolved and once and for all ditch the old image which clings on.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 18-03-04 1:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It implies to me a myopic view, as well. Like there aren't other clubs? Like the Great Britian part isn't important? What's the point?! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
God alone knows, I don't even begin to understand the madness Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Perhaps they don't so much want to be THE Ski Club as just to quietly drop the Great Britain bit ??? It's not fashionable these days to be in any way nationalistic. (And as an expat I would always tend to use the term UK)
The SCGB web site(s) and statements on it become more and more of a tangled web. I'm not worrying any more about what it might or might not mean. In fact I may even stop posting on the topic ........ Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I reckon you chaps are getting a bit obsessed Wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whatever, I'm particularly fond of words like 'bonkers' and 'conkers'. They themselves convey a sense of English schoolboys in shorts, up to mischief.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It keeps the conversation flowing Very Happy ...over here, I meant (of course) Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I left out 'plonkers', which has a nice contemporary ring about it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is another term which also rhymes - - - but I understand U's ultra clever software automatically converts it.
snow report
In all seriousness, the issue here is content rather than image. What prospective members of the SCGB are seeking is good value, a Club that feels part of them rather than above them. I'm convinced that publishing (more electronic than paper as we move forward), knowledge, and advice are the factors for future success.

Once you have busy interchange of information and advice, everything else follows naturally. This is how it was when the club was born in 1903. This is how it is in 2004. 'Image', as such, doesn't matter. It's just a hang-up. Recruitment requires people loving their Club and recommending it to others.

Word of mouth has become infinitely more powerful with the advent of the internet, either in favour of something or against something. Hence the rollercoaster popularity of the SCGB with the internet community over the past few weeks. There's obviously an urgent need to rebuild trust and popularity, but it won't happen by fussing over 'image'.
ski holidays
Unfortunately David, what will probably happen is that they will try to change th eimage and pretend that nothing has happened, it will probably work as well, you only need to look to the field of politics to see how often this is done. I agree wholeheartedly with your last paragraph, the problem as I see it is that we have succesfully managed to alienate the people in power on the committee with our coments over the last month or so, with the result that they are very unlikely to listen to any advice we offer.

The only way arround this would be to get more people with a likeminded attitude on the committee but, honesty compels me to admit that we have about as much chance of doing that as I do of taking part in a marathon and finishing !
latest report
And it's just so Stalinist to tell members that their use of language shows they're "living in the past" and that they're "not helping the Club's image".

What next? The crushing of dissent. Oh yes, I forgot...
snow report
Exactly Wink
snow conditions
SCGB = Ski Club Gone Bonkers Laughing priceless Laughing

I love this place!
snow conditions
Quote:

And it's just so Stalinist to tell members that their use of language shows they're "living in the past"

Admin would like to advise snowHeads users that from now on, they will choose only to refer to snowHeads in the form "snowHeads doubleplus good" Wink
snow report
Two planks good, one plank bad!
Laughing
latest report
Now what did we do with that smiley that stuck one finger up? NehNeh
snow report

At chore service
latest report
admin wrote:
Admin would like to advise snowHeads users that from now on, they will choose only to refer to snowHeads in the form "snowHeads doubleplus good"

Surely, Admin, you could be a little bit more pompous, long-winded and weird-sounding when you make this kind of pronouncement...
latest report
Quote:

Surely, Admin, you could be a little bit more pompous, long-winded and weird-sounding when you make this kind of pronouncement...

That sounds dangerously close to questioning the ultimate omni-perfection of admin DavidS?
Admin advises u to report to the snowHeads-doubleplus-good improving centre in Tignes next week for personal-modification!
snow conditions
Ohh sounds painful David, looks like you'll need all the stretching exercies you can get in the mean time Confused
snow report
are you off to Tignes next week U? I'm going to Oppdal for a couple of days... Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What seems really wierd about this (-apart from all the other things!) is that it was a secret! How many people were aware of this Newspeak? And why is it that only the small number of people posting on the SCGB (not-much-chat-)site are allowed to know about it?
snow report
"snowHead doubleplus good's image has improved considerably over the past few years. One aspect we have worked on is asking people to refer to snowHead doubleplus good as 'snowHead doubleplus good' rather than 'snowHeads' and we have successfully lost the previously-used abbreviation.

"Our reps don't use 'snowHeads' anymore, and we don't publish 'snowHeads' in any snowHead doubleplus good publications, correspondence, or on www.snowHeads.com. Talking about 'snowHeads' feels like living in the past, and if you use this, you are not helping snowHead doubleplus good's image.

"snowHead doubleplus good has come a long way since the days of 'the snowHeads' - this website is an example of snowHead doubleplus good's progress, together with its steadily growing membership numbers. Your support on this issue would be appreciated."

How's that, DavidS? Wink Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
ssh, Laughing
ski holidays
ooh that feels good, ssh - berate me! lecture me! treat me like a moron!
snow conditions
ssh can you try again I lost it about halfway through Laughing
snow report
Summary:

snowHead doubleplus good snowHead snowHead bad Skullie
ski holidays
DavidS, makes me wanna be a snowHead doubleplus good rep, though. How about you?!
snow report
Thank you Elizabeth B, I now understand Razz Now will someone please call the men in white caots for admin, as I think he may have finally cracked under the strain of setting up the site Laughing
snow conditions
D G Orf, he'll be fine after a week in Tignes. Although, of course, by the time he gets back you will have tossed in more than a K of posts... NehNeh
snow conditions
D G Orf, it's okay. The men in white coats are taking him away.....France, I think Wink
ski holidays
Lucky fellow, all my mum got when they took her away was a view of the Isle of Wight, he obviosly has more influence snowHead
snow report
D G Orf, or more cash...... Twisted Evil
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy