Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Toes Cramping

Poster: A snowHead
I have a pair of Solomon boots for last 5 years and in the last 2 years my toes have been cramping fairly bad after a couple of hours skiing and sometimes even after the first run.
They are probably a half size too big for my feet.
Is this the problem or does anyone else have any solution to my problem.
Would appreciate any opinions or solutions to the problem.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chick, there will soon be a chorus of "get yourself to a bootfitter" replies. You probably need either or both of new boots/new footbeds. My toes used to cramp horribly before I had footbeds and, a bit later, new boots, for the simple reason that I used to 'hang on' to my boots with my toes as there was enough (ie too much) space to do so. I now can't curl my toes up, so I don't get cramp.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The extra half size may be the problem, your boots need to be nice and snug. That means new boots probably or 3 pairs of socks!
my brother-in-law gets boots a size smaller than he normally would.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
prick_with_sticks, I tried the extra sock solution: the result was a dead nerve on one instep which took more than six months to recover. The overall size of boot isn't the only issue, it's the fit over different bits of the foot as well, and extra socks are likely to cause more problems (including blisters) than they solve.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ah, sorry, thought the exclamation point after the word socks would have made my statement seem light hearted,

chick, i was kidding about the socks, not though about the new boots. NehNeh
as the kids all say, 'my bad'
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
prick_with_sticks, ah. Sorry. The fact that I actually tried extra socks shows how stupid I am, and is why I failed to get the joke. Embarassed
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
no you're not stupid, we dont learn if we dont make sock based mistakes! Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pedantica.You could be right as i think i have a habit of curling my toe every now and then.
Would you recomend the foot beds?.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
New boots time with a proper bootfitter.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chick, yes, and a good bootfitter will tell you if they will solve the problem on their own. A less scrupulous bootfitter will insist you need new boots even if you don't. I managed fine for a couple of years with footbeds, before I really did have to have new boots as well, the old ones were clapped out. The footbeds got transferred to the new boots.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chick, my future DIL suffered dreadfully, and so therefore did my son, with cramp and I was convinced her boots were just too big. Eventually persuaded her last year to have them looked at, and to have footbeds made - resulted in a huge difference, no cramp, much happier girl.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
At the risk of sounding a total idiot.... You shouldn't wear 2 pair socks...?!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mac22, you shouldn't wear 2 pairs of socks
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Definitely not 2 pairs of socks...

And do think about whether your technique is part of the problem. Some people do the grip-of-death with their toes when they are to far back, with not enough ankle flex and are too tense.

If you don't have custom footbeds, that is a good first step - and they might be transferable across to any new boots.
latest report
a good antidote to the toe-gripping is to think (in moments of panic, if you can) about just lifting your toes up a bit towards the top of the boot.

Toe-gripping will also badly fatigue your lower leg muscles and generally wear you out.
snow conditions
Thanks .I think ill get the footbeds to start with and see how they go.
Any ideas on how much i should pay for a set.
snow report
Eat more Salt.
ski holidays
I suffered with toe cramps for a couple of years. Went to a fairly well used bootfitter in Bicester last december. Despite having my boots fitted at major ski shop, I went from a 28.5 shell to a 26.5. It seems I'd been in boots way too big for ages. The cramps were as a result of having to overtighten the boot and 'grabbing' with the toes while skiing. New boots (despite costing me a little more than I was planning to pay) are just superb in terms of fit, feel, comfort and control (measured in relation to the previous pair).

As an upside on my first trip last season after getting the new boots, when I had my hire ski's fitted the tech spent 10 minutes discussing how good the boots where, which made me feel good in some respects for the spend (shallow? I know but hey ho!).
snow report
Chick, I used to get this, and footbeds helped, along with the advice that I was overtightening the forefoot clips on my boots.
ski holidays
Very easy to blame the boots but it may be your own stance and balance that is causing the problem.

When you are skiing where do you feel the 'balance' of your weight? Is it on your forefoot? do you end up curling your toes on faster turns?
latest report
Similar to some here also suffered with this. Partly from over tight boots, partly from tensing on steeper slopes and firing tendons in sole of my foot, better fitted boot, custom footbeds and solved it, never experienced since. Good luck.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy