Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas week skiing with kids

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are looking for a good place to ski for a large group that includes 7 kids between the ages 4-12 plus 5 adults of varying (mostly intermediate) abilities. We need a place that is not too hard to get to from the US (presumably not too far from Geneva or some other major airport) and is family friendly plus is likely to have decent conditions that early in the season. This will be our first time skiing in Europe and we are looking for the whole experience (food & ambience). We would like to rent a several bedroom house or apartment on or very close to the slopes. We were thinking about Courcheval but are looking for recommendations. Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cynwyd17, welcome to snowheads, you'll be spoilt for choice for suggestons, PG has a couple of apartments in Bourg St Maurice, which is great for the Haute Tarentasise, 3 biggest resorts in France in one valley with over 1,600 kms of pistes. We have a chalet in La Rosiere, which is near Bourg St Maurice and is very snow sure, it also has skiing in France and Italy. You can see or ad in snowShops or go to our website www.tracksvacations.com unfortunately we're full at Xmas but my son has a chalet nearby with spaces, you can find his details on www.morealps.com I hope you can make it to Europe.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cynwyd17, Welcome to snowHead . I should think that for a complete "package" of European ski-ing then La rosiere will be very good. It's small, has bags of ambiance, very friendly, and the ski-ing is not too taxing. Tavel is not bad from Geneva either.

I'd say here, but I don't think we fulfil all your requirements. Bourg St Maurice is well placed, but is not a ski resort itself (sorry PG) and Courcheval will not give you a real "feel" for France - full of Russian Mafia at 1800, and too much marketing altogether. If you want good food then France would be the best option. You could check out Chamrousse which is a small, very family friendly resort near Grenoble. I don't know their website, but it should be easy to find.
snow report
 brian
brian
cynwyd17, if you're coming all the way from the US, I would recommend going for one of the areas with outstandingly beautiful mountains. You can see Mont Blanc from the likes of Courchevel and La Ros but it's not the jaw droppingly awesome amazing-mountain-in-close-up sort of thing. I would also probably pick Switzerland over France if "chocolate box" style ambience is on the agenda.

I would have a look at Zermatt, Saas Fee and (can't believe I'm getting this in before DG Orf!) the Jungfrau region (Wengen, Muerren and Grindelwald).

Zermatt and Saas Fee both have snow sure high altitude skiing and in Zermatt, kids under 10 ski free.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chamonix is a possibility.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cynwyd17, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

As brian has mentioned....don't rule out Switzerland. It tends to have more "alpine style" resorts rather than the big French resorts which are often concrete tower blocks!! (sweeping generalisation, I know!!)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cynwyd17,

In my opinion France does snow sure and it does ambience but it doesnt usually combine them in one resort. Another to add to the list is Lech which usually has pretty good snow early seaon and is a lovely area. The only problem you may have is finding somewhere to stay it sells out quickly in the peak periods. Also most accommodation is hotel or Guest house based and finding an apprtment or house may be difficult.

Other places not mentioned to consider are Flims and Klosters which are both reasonably accessible from Zurich and often hae decent snow.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you don't mind changing planes at a hub to get to Innsbruck, Obergurgl is only an hour or so's drive from Innsbruck, has tonnes of charm and is very snow sure. The skiing there suits a wide ability range. Again hotels are the norm, but there are some apartments available.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian, thanks but just two things

1 it's spelt Murren

2 being honest Christmas is marginal for the area, you can have fantastic conditions but you can also have hard and icy conditions, I know I'm going out there for Christmas and New year but I have friends out there so if the skiing should be bad (unlikely I hope) I have at least got things I can do
snow report
 brian
brian
D G Orf,

1. I thought if you couldn't readily access an umlaut, you could stick in an 'e' Puzzled

2. True, I did say Zermatt and Saas Fee might be better for snow sureness.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh I should add the ski pass rates for kids arround the Wengen area

Kids up to 6 with parents - free without parents being present they need a pass but 6 days is just 25 CHf
Kids from 6 to 15 6 day pass 144 CHf
Adults from 20+ 6 day pass 288 CHf

youngsters between 16 and 19 get a 20% discount
Adults over 62 get a 10% discount
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow, there is a lot for me to consider. What are the gateway airports to Zermatt and to the Jungfrau region? Accessibility is a big consideration; I am concerned about travel weary kids making their first trip to Europe. (Actually, I am more concerned about the travel weary parents, especially me, shlepping kids through airports and on long drives!) I would love for wherever we go to have a European feel since this trip is such a big deal for us and isn't only about the skiing (although that is important).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cynwyd17, gateway to Jungfrau Region is Bern Airport unfortunately it's a small airport with no connections to the US though you could fly into the UK and pick up an onward flight from there I suppose (Birmingham airport would be your best bet for that)

More realistically Zurich or Geneva are options from the US unfortunately both Airports are about 4 hours train journey from the Jungfrau Region, Geneva is the best option to fly to for Zermatt although it's still a 4+ hour journey, both Geneva and Zurich airports have the stations under the terminal buildings, and the scenery that you see from the trains is very plesant, much easier than driving on possibly icy roads.

Both Zermatt and Wengen have a traditional Swiss feel to them and I think either would be a good choice, given the large number of children in your group I think Wengen might just be better for you as it is a very kid friendly resort, ice rink, sledge runs etc. but both are almost traffic free which is always good, also Zermatt has a slightly better chance of good snow for Christmas
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy