Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wheeled ski luggage - advice wanted

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Due to ski purchase and policy of having the minimum number of bags to control when travelling am now carrying boots in my hold baggage. While the faithful backpack has stretched to the task heroically once I think it is now pushing the envelope.
I'm looking at one of those proper heel-mashing, achilles tendon nipping things with wheels and an extendable handle. Also want the instruction booklet on how to block an aisle while simultaneously slowly turning in small circles looking for signs.
Does anyone have any advice?
(Asking sHs for advice is like bears and woods)

I'm assuming separate boot and wet compartments are a good thing and hassle free?
Are the wheels generally made large enough?
I reckon I need a 100L one or is that excessive? I don't take any special apres ski clothes on a trip so I think I'm a light traveller?
I want to avoid getting a caravan-sized monster so smaller maybe?
They seem to be expensive when you slap a brand on them (surprise). Anyone know of justasgoodbutcheaper out there?
Is there an existing thread on this I have missed?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The advice i'll offer on this is always find out what the weight of the luggage is when empty before you buy it. I was looking at a very nice coffin bag at the ski show once which was very nice indeed and reasonably priced... but weighed in at 11kg - over a third of the allowance at the time (32kg), and nearly half the allowance now(23kg)!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Salomon 100 split wheely one has done me fine for the last 4 years. Plenty big enough for boots, helmet, full kit (with spare goggles and gloves), and some evening wear. Comes in at between 16-20kg, depending on how much evening wear you take.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had a couple of snow and rock wheely bags that did not last long - so I bit the bullet and bought a Samsonite Case -12 years later - 30 odd holidays plus work trips its as good as new inside and even the wheels are still in good nick.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get a large Ski carrier on wheels. Dakine and Head do mahoosive one's. You can get skis, boots, helmet and all your ski clothing in. Get the 195 or 200 cm length ones.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spud, How do they work re weight, are they classed as hold luggage and therefore everything has to be below say 20kg, or are you allowed up to say 30kg including skis, ie with combines ski and hold luggage combined?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Most airlines you have to pay to carry your skis. But you can pack a lot of gear into these 'Ski Bags' and they have in my experience never been checked.
I check in a normal ski bag for clothing. Take a backpack as hand luggage and book in a seperate ski bag...and fill it with all my ski gear...clothing and all.

http://www.skibartlett.com/dakine-concourse-double-ski-bag---185cm-200cm---black-patches-9297-p.asp

http://www.skibartlett.com/atomic-ski-bag-34-pair-wheelie-195cm-8081-p.asp
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Big Paua, I bought mine from Decathlon. It easily fits all my gear plus ski boots and weighs around 15kg once loaded. Unladen it weighs 1.3kg. I take the skis separately in a ski bag. Ski bag over the shoulder, small hand luggage backpack and big wheelie bag à la shopping trolley. Easy.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia, Good call! I keep forgetting that marvellous place is within a gunshot of my front door. I have several other extremely urgent necessities I have to buy from there so will now pop along tomorrow. Thank you.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spud wrote:
...you can pack a lot of gear into these 'Ski Bags' and they have in my experience never been checked.

I have flown BA once, Baboo four times and now fly Swiss all the time (at least eight trips so far). Each time, I have had to place my ski bag on the scale at check-in. Twice I have had to place my hand luggage bag (well within regulation size) on the scale too. Maybe I just look dodgy.

Being a woman of small stature, I have found that a single, large bag containing everything is a bit too much to manage - even with wheels. Although probably not a problem for stronger women and men.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some airlines (eg. Cathay Pacific, JAL, etc) have put a restriction on the dimension of the check-in luggage, baggage with total linear dimensions exceeding 203cm will attract a hefty surcharge.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
*cancels flight to Alps with Cathay Pacific*
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy