Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's this drill called?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
When I was on ski hols last year I had a couple of afternoons with Ski Newgen. Got taught this drill but can't remember what it's called so can't look it up to check i'm doing it properly.

On a decent pitched red run with a constant gradient to it skiing in some nice medium radius turns, lift the heel of your inside ski a few inches off the ground and complete your turn until you're facing uphill. When you come to a stop, slide back and rotate your ski into the next turn and repeat this on either side until you feel confident enough to be able to link them down the hill.

You can start this drill by initiating the turn whilst you're facing downhill but should progress into initiating it whilst going across the slope in preparation for the turn you're going to make. Effectively, it is like edging the uphill ski on its downhill edge for a short while before making the turn all the way through on that ski whilst keeping your other heel off the ground.

It encouraged me to get my weight balanced into the correct position and use correct edging technique for early initiation of the next turn whilst doing so.

Anyone know what it's called?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like a J turn to me. Not sure about lifting the inside tail part though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shoogly, the trouble with drills is that there is often no formal name for them that all instructors would recognise. Often you're going to make up something on the spot, perhaps by blending elements from different drills or one instructor will have a different name for the drill compared to another. I recognise the elements of what you describe, but if I'm visualising your description correctly I think I've used them in different drills.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
shoogly, do you mean continuing to turn your body in the same direction, once you are facing uphill, whilst sliding downhill, so that you effectively do a 360? That drill is on Fastman's DVDs. doesn't involve any lifting, but you do need to shift weight fore/aft and edge both skis accurately together. I find it quite difficult but I suspect it's an excellent exercise so will persist. They're quite fun to do try but I can never get the beautifully smooth transition that's on the DVD!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Something like that pam.

the drill is to encourage starting the new turn whilst skiing across the fall line, rather than when down it.

helped me on steeps no end as my edge was effective much earlier and I felt a hell of a lot more comfortable projecting myself into pretty committed turns on steep terrain.

might send ski newgen a wee email and see what they call it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
shoogly wrote:
the drill is to encourage starting the new turn whilst skiing across the fall line, rather than when down it.
Do you mean "finish the turn" so your skis come all the way around the curve you are making before you begin the next turn?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
perhaps a little like the drill about 50 seconds into this...

http://www.youtube.com/user/SteveAngus1#p/u/32/ctEOZeN-87E

(this is more of a javelin turn but it gets you standing on the outside ski at start of turn and steering it around - you can do this by just raising the back of the inside ski off the ground rather than the whole thing too).

I call it a tip turn - the tip of only the inside ski is touching the ground or where you lift the whole ski off the ground and rotate the ski touching the ground under your hips it turns into a javelin turn.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steve Angus, that's very very similar to the drill i'm talking about.

I think we did them later in the day, but when we were doing them we continued the turn so as we were then facing up the hill again, gravity brought us to a stop, we skied backwards and pivoted into the next turn on the opposite side.

rob@rar, kind of, but it was more to get the edges effective way earlier in the turn than we had been.

Thanks for all of this, has helped and at least now i have reference. I'll post here when i get a reply from newgen.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stork turn

ED: or possibly stalk turn, never seen it written down
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
shoogly, Why does the name matter if you remember the drill??
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy