Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Further afield than the Sella Ronda

Poster: A snowHead
Fourth year January next in Canazei and the Dolomiti Superski area. Having brought the less experienced of our group on on and done....... clockwise anticlockwise, Marmolada, Hidden valley,Cinque Torre, Sottuguda gorge, Alleghe I think?? Alba, Pozza. Where else is worthy of a day out to or what have we missed. Novices are now up for most things.

To that end I was reading a comment from Chris Bish re the challenge of Ciampac black at Alba or not as the case may be. What do we think are the biggest challenges (On piste) of this area, which is best known for its cruising reds??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cinque Torre is almost Cortina. At least one big steep run there - so steep they closed it when I was there for the day and the snow had got a bit hard.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I also recommend a trip to Cortina.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You are right, Cinq Torri is almost at Cortina, but not achievable skiing there and back in a day??. You can certainly ski to Cinq Torri now and get back to the Lagezoui hidden valley lift due to a new link. It's a good suggestion and one to put to the group for a bus trip.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 6-10-11 8:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bus from Canazei to Alba, over to Pozzo and back is definitely worth a day (or the other way around if you don't fancy the black or a download as your return to the bus stop!)

Never got as far as the Alpe di Siusi. Anyone tell me whether that's worth it?

Also I don't see the up-and-over from St Christina to Ortisei on your list. The red run 2 down into Ortisei is a real highlight - watch out for the icefall, and the road crossing (I kid you not!) Also I recommend the hut just after the marked mountain restaurant on that piste.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
TallTone, Yes sorry is that the long 10k run, another excellent slope. We have always come straight back up at the bottom, bubble and gondola, Is there anything after Orteisi?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mfamily2, When I was there a few years ago, some of the UK Tour operators based in the western resorts of the Sella Ronda eg Val Gardena, Canazei etc. organised a day trip bus to Cortina. If you're going with a UK tour operator, or even if you're going independently, it might be worthwhile having a word with one of their reps in resort to see if you can join it. Otherwise you could organise a private minibus transfer for the group (but not sure how much that would cost).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well after many trips to resorts on the Sella Ronda circuit we are venturing away and trying something different next February half term week.. We are staying in St Martino in Badia which I am told is linked to the Kronplatz area of the Dolomiti Superski.

If anyone here has skied this area please let me know if you recommend any particular area/runs and ( more importantly ) good lunch stops?

I am sure we will be venturing onto the main circuit as St Martino is linked by bus to Pedraces which has access to the known world!

Looking forward to it already snowHead

BTW. I would also recommend a day in Cortina if you get a chance.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mfamily2, we are in Canazei in January too - which week?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Freddie Paellahead, Saturday 14th group of six lads, well men actually, no actually middle aged men.................
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mfamily2, shame, that's the week after us Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am not entirely sure that you couldn't get from Canazei to Cinque Torri and back in a day. It would be a big day, sure, but not impossible. I would go Arabba way to start with. Once you get to the place with the three lifts where you have to cross the road (my memory isn't what it used to be... is it Campolungo?) it is gentle and quite quick blues to Armentrola. The bus to Laguzoi is frequent, or you can save time by getting a taxi to the bottom of the cablecar. Go up the cablecar and turn right at the first option and ski back down - not going down the Hidden Valley. This brings you out on the road opposite a chair. Go up that chair and ski down carrying some speed as it is a bit of a flat track off to the right (as you come down) which takes you through to the Cortina area and the start of the 5 Torri bit.

Play around there for a while and come back by turning right as you come down towards the far side. This gets you to a hidden away little lift which connects back to the bottom of Laguzoi. Ski back down the Hidden Valley and the horse tow etc and return via Arabba. A lot, I know, but no more of a challenge that the WW1 tour or the trip up Marmolada. You would need an early start and not much lingering over lunch! About 70km all told, I would guess.

snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Bish, You could save some time if you did not go up the Laguzoi cable car which can be a long wait at times just cross the road and ski along to the chair you desribe.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
riverman, Good point, though that run (which used to be a black but is now red) might well be the run of the day! At least I am not being flamed for suggesting a ridiculous itinerary!

snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Did Cinq Torri with tour op on the bus, but when I skied to the Hidden Valley last year I did look back from the top of the Lagazuoi cable car and you can clearly see the run across to the bottom of Cinq Torri, so I would agree with Chris Bish about it being doable.

Is the WW1 tour worth the effort?

To repeat TallTone, question has anybody gone to Orteisi then up to Alpe di Siusi?
snow conditions
I too recommend Cortina for a day
ski holidays
SusanM wrote:
I too recommend Cortina for a day

That deserves a welcome to snowHead s
ski holidays
riverman wrote:
Chris Bish, You could save some time if you did not go up the Laguzoi cable car which can be a long wait at times just cross the road and ski along to the chair you desribe.

Isn't that a fairly long flat 'pole' job - or am I thinking of somewhere else?
snow report
From my recollection, it does seem to be uphill both ways, but the trip up the cablecar simplifies the approach. You certainly need some kph coming down the first run to get to the bottom of 5 torri 9aplogies cat interferece with keyboard)
snowHead

not the first time
snow conditions
SusanM, Alastair Pink, snowball, Will probably do Cortina, easy enough with the tour op trip, so that's one day sorted.

Freddie Paellahead, I was going to buy you a drink too!!
ski holidays
mfamily2, TallTone, We went to Alpe de Suisi a couple of years ago and to be honest we were a bit disappointed (not something we're too familiar with around that area). It is an area of wide rolling alpine meadows - not very challenging and a little repetitive (we were a group of intermediate skiiers - not thrill seekers). We just found it a bit boring compared with all the other fabulous areas within reach of Selva where we were staying. Great restaurants though, mind you that's par for the course in the Dolomites.

We didn't go via Ortisei, we went to the top of the Ciampanoi, skiied down to Monte Pana and took a very scenic bus ride up to Saltria.

We've been back to Selva since but won't be going back to Alpe de Suisi anytime soon.
snow conditions
Freddie Paellahead, I am a solo skier and will be Canazei from the 14 until the 21 Jan. Could I join your group for a day of skiing. I know the Sella Ronda area very well as I have been there many times. I am a competant skier and able to ski grade of slope. I will be staying at the Campagnola in Canazei on my own.
snow report
LANCE, that would be fine...
but we're there the week before and it's mfamily2 who is there your week!
snow conditions
Cortina was awesome last January, they were training for the Women's Super G on the Tofana, quite a spectacle, but other than that it was really quiet, apparently only gets busy on high days and holy days, the lift infrastructure was a bit ancient in places but did the job. The views were spectacular and the pistes ran in some very improbable places with sheer limestone walls and pillars.

Forcella Staunies in the Cristallo area:

Pista Olimpia in the Tofana sector, this is where the Super G takes place:

The gorgeous Lindsay Vonn won the Super G the next day, pity I didn't bump into her on the slopes!! Wink

http://youtube.com/v/ZLRkpzW1EdQ
snow report
Ooops, how do you resize big images??? Embarassed
snow conditions
luigi, Lindsey Vonn is just okay at this size thanks - full size would obviously be better though Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
mfamily2, When will you be in Canazei? I am a solo skier and will be there from the 7th until 21st Jan. I know the area very well having visited many times. Would like to meet for some companionship.
snow report
Freddie Paellahead, Hi Freddie I will actually be in Canazei from the 7th until the 21st, so maybe we could meet and ski sometime. I will be coming from a place called Port Elizabeth in South Africa, so it is quite far for me. Had one or two companions that were coming but they have left me high and dry.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LANCE, I've sent you a PM.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy