Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

list of resorts in Austria i`m considering for holiday in Feb mid term

Poster: A snowHead
This is my list:
1.Hochgurgl and Obergurgl (still waiting on replies from apartments, but have a feeling it will be out of our budget)
2.Kuhtai , i emailed apt there too
3.Neustift, i still have to look for apts
4.Saalbach Hinterglemm, have to send emails
5.Obertauern (probably expensive)
6.Rauris ( found a few apts for our budget)
7.Zell am See, not high altitude but good choice of cheap apts i found, and it does look beautiful and lots to do and apre ski and nightlife ( so we might end up there in the end)
8.Bad Gastein, i found cheap apts there too and also seems like a nice place i like the idea of the thermal baths i went to the ones in Bormio and enjoyed them, just not sure how the town looks, i`ve 9.read that it lacks in alpine atmosphere, is it nice though?
10.Alpbach, found really nice aprtments there too, i like the look of the village and scenery in photos, but i`m afraid might be too quiet?

Once all the apartments get back to me i`ll make a decision. Do you think if i was to go to a low altitude resort like Bad Gastein or Zell am See or Alpbach, that it is snowsure enough in February? I`m really terrified of getting there and finding no snow like happened in Ortisei last year, that would definately put end to my winter holidays!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
briciolina29, I think you are far too hung up on the whole "high altitude" thing. You are going at the height of the ski season and all those resorts you'd consider low altitude cater for tens of thousands of skiers and boarders from all over the place and have huge investments in infrastructure - lifts, snowmaking, grooming machinery etc etc. They are not "low altitude" at all, they are ski resorts. I really wouldn't chose Obergurgl over Zell am See, for example, just because of its altitude - the place is featureless, bleak even. And the villages just don't compare - ZaS much bigger and more fun. And trees, those things made of wood you find at lower altitudes, are a positive boon if the weather turns messy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller, I agree with you but I know where briciolina29 is coming from. I'm trying to decide where to go with my parents and son in the same period. Up to now it has always been France + once the Dolomites, and despite knowing that lower Austrian resorts hold their snow well (the same as much higher French resorts), they'd be worried to go to some of the lower elevations.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
horizon, it's possible to de-risk it, especially if driving. Loads of ski hotels bookable via booking.com and their cancellation policy means that you'd have up until end of January to decide whether you need to cancel or not. But a lot of snow can fall in 2 weeks of course. Still, it's a option if these things are a worry.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Neustift doesn't really fit with the apres you asked for in other threads, although you are near the Stubai Glacier if getting up high is a must.

Just in case you haven't been told yet, as you move East, the snowline drops - so in Austria you don't have to get up to the same altitude you would in France to get good snow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bode Swiller I know i`m a bit obsessed with the altitude, but it`s because we are not that much into skiing, and the main reason we go on these winter holidays is for snow in the village, i like playing in the snow, and making lots of snowmen! Where i live we hardly ever get snow so now i try to see as much of it as i can when n holidays!. I know the slopes are well looked after, so for skiers it is not a big problem. But anyway the weather lately has become even more unpredictable! I agree with what you are saying about booking through booking.com for free cancellation in case snow was bad, but i reckon during feb mid term most accomodation would sell out fast and then end up with nothing! I think though we will end up going to either Bad Gastein, Zell am See or Alpbach, these 3 are the cheapest offers i received so far and do look nice too. In your opinion which of the 3 resorts would be best? I like Alpbach out of the 3 best , but from brochure reviews seems to be the less lively of the 3, but read its very good for absolute beginners like us.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the suggestion Clarky999, i didn`t know that at all! Is Neustift very quiet? I`m trying to find a compromise somewhere!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

i like playing in the snow, and making lots of snowmen!

briciolina29, Have you tried a big bag of polystyrene balls?

Quote:

But anyway the weather lately has become even more unpredictable!

No, it has always been like this, especially in the mountains. There have been bad seasons, good seasons and epic seasons going on forever. Snowmaking and the art of snow management has made things way more predictable these days.

Quote:

I agree with what you are saying about booking through booking.com for free cancellation in case snow was bad, but i reckon during feb mid term most accomodation would sell out fast and then end up with nothing!

No, that's the point of making a booking now, you are reserving your accommodation, not paying for it. If you don't fancy going up until the free cancellation date you can just cancel. It's risk free.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ok thanks for the advice
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yup, Neustift is pretty small, there are a couple of bars, but nothing like Saalbach.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 5-10-11 19:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I`m really terrified of getting there and finding no snow like happened in Ortisei last year

Sympathies, that must have been very disappointing, but much of last season was bad in a load of places (not all) in the Alps.

Thing is, the pretty little villages, whether in France or Austria, tend to be at lower altitudes because in the olden days nobody wanted to live at the top of an Alp in the winter. So there's a trade off between "alpine atmosphere" and "snow in the village". No genuinely traditional village (as opposed to high places purpose built in the last 40 years or so) is going to be "snow sure" at any time of the season, though statistically many will have snow for a fair chunk of the time. Mid February is as good a time as any - which is why it's such a busy holiday time, I guess.

When you say "February mid term" do you mean the UK half term holidays? If so, it's probably worth finding a village which is off the British tour operator radar - I'm sure the majority of Austrian resorts tick that box, as do the majority of French ones.

Unless Alpbach has changed since I was there (which is perfectly possible) it is indeed fairly quiet and that's part of its charm; friendly welcoming bars where you can hear yourself speak, with a good atmosphere, and a very pretty village, but definitely not party central.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

as you move East, the snowline drops - so in Austria you don't have to get up to the same altitude you would in France to get good snow

I've heard it said that you deduct about 1,500 feet or 500 meters from the height of a French resort to find its equivalent in Austria, owing to the effect of the Gulf Stream. Anyone disagree?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
briciolina29, Hi, Rauris is a good bet at 950m its pretty high by Austrian standards,good hotels and apartments - I've been 6 times when learning to ski,village quietish but a few good bars and nice restaurants,prices very reasonable on/off hill - take a look at raurisskigang.net for more info or contact Harry Maeir (Ski School Karl Maeir), great for families only about 35k of slopes but challenging,blues on 1 side reds on the other (deserted) side.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, yeah it was a very bad year, let`s hope it doesn`t repeat it self! In Ortisei village there wasn`t even a trace of snow and the surrounding mountains were brown with a few patches of icy snow, and this was the middle of January!
ski holidays
javascript:emoticon('briand6868,%20') , thanks, i`m going to look at apartments in Rauris too and i`ll look at the link you suggested, thank you
latest report
If you were to consider Kitzbuhel I can thoroughly recommend this place to stay. Stayed there in Feb of this year and it was brilliant. The snow was good too!

There are also other dwellings in the same building if you need more accommodation. http://alphome.at/index.php?id=64&L=1&aID=53
latest report
briciolina29, the snow should be fine in Bad Gastein in the middle of Feb. I usually go mid March with no problems. Let me know if you need any info about the resort.

Cheers
Kersh
ski holidays
Thank you dredgey and Kersh, i`m only after logging in now, i will look at the link. Is Bad Gastein a big resort? which woul be more attractive, Kitzbuhel or Bad Gastein?
Thanks for for you help
ski holidays
briciolina29, for the February Half Term, I think you will find Bad Gastein a better option. If Kitz is not full of Austrians it will be full of Brits, Dutch and Scandinavians for sure. The uplift from Kitzbühel town will have queues at some times in the day as will some of the other bottlenecks. Uploading in the morning and downloading in the afternoon via the Hahnenkamm lift for example will be probleatic at peak times.

Both are excellent resorts, but at that time, Kitzbühel is the easiest for the TOs to reach in great numbers as well as those driving down through Europe so Bad Gastein would swing it for me! Get in touch with Kersh, to find out much more about the places to go and what to do in Bad Gastein as he has an apartment there and knows the set up well.
snow conditions
briciolina29, Bad Gastein and its neighbour Bad HofGastein in the Gastein valley are both good resorts but I'm not sure they will suit you if you're complete beginners. They are great locations but nursery slopes are not ideal, reasonable bus ride away from either as they're located between the two resorts. Also whilst they are both pleasant looking places they are not small alpine villages, both ahave a reasonable sprawl and are not picture postcard pretty if that's what you're looking for. Don't get me wrong, I've been there and really like the area but may not suit your needs.

There are other high resorts, Obertauern, Serfaus, Ischgl / Galtur etc. but fear they may not meet the budget. For absolute alpine village charm at high altitude Saas Fee in switzerland is unbeatable and good for beginners but it isn't cheap either!
ski holidays
briciolina29, it's true that Bad Gastein generally considered a intermeadiate resort. However i've taken 4 complete beginners to the resort over the last few years and they've been fine. Do you have any beginners in your group?

I've never been to Kitz and am bias to the Gastein valley so can't/shouldn't really comment about where to go. Gastein's a great place though! snowHead

PM me if you want any specific info.

Cheers
Kersh
snow conditions
I disagree - both Bad Gastein and Dorfgastein have beginner areas and the ski schools make sure the beginners progress well.

I think some people have some very odd ideas about ski resorts that perhaps reflect their own personal likes and dislikes more than the reality of the resorts themselves. Schloßalm is a super area with fantastic progression for example and Angertal gives some lovely easy tree-lined skiing in bad weather. I've not skied in Gasteinertal very often but when I had beginners with me, we had no problems finding suitable slopes.

There is also some good cross country trails as well as I remember briciolina29 asking about that. I used the Langlauf trails at Sport Gastein a couple of times when it was too cold to ski up at the top (-29°C once at the bottom station). Dorfgastein also has good areas but I think briciolina29 is eyeing up Bad Gastein
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, like I said, i've taken complete beginners there and had no problems. Angertal has an excellent beginner area. My Dad at 65 years old took his first ski lessons there last year. Schlossalm is very beginner/family friendly, great place for cruising reds and blues! snowHead Dorfgastein is similar and nearly all tree lined. The slopes on the Stubnerkogel are noticeably steeper but not by much. The beginner area in Bad Gastein is quite small and progressing up the mountain can be challenging .... but the beginners i've take there have never had any issues.

Like you say Sue, Sport Gastein has some great cross country runs. There are also some excellent trails that go up Angertal from the ski centre.

Cheers
Kersh
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy