Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Board - Needs waxing or not?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

1st post so please be gentle.

I'm a skier & have a nice pair of Atomic skis that I keep waxed & edged with regular servicing & I understand the difference that makes, however my 15 yr Old son is in to the snowboard lark. To help him with we decided to get him a board so he would have the same set up etc. He has used the board a couple of times at Chill Factore & Xscape.

We usually have a indoor ski/snowboard evening every 2 weeks and have a week in the Alps in January coming up. My question (finally) is would you suggest we wax the board? If so professionally / home waxing?

Many thanks

Shakey
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shakeywith, Welcome to Snowheads, boards are much the same as skis in that the factory wax is OK but does not last as long as a really good hot wax and maybe also a Hot Box to really get the wax working for longer.

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk is the guy a lot of Snowheads use, however you may have someone closer to you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Home wax, possibly reasonably regularly as indoor snow is quite abrasive (says he who hasn't waxed his indoor skis in almost 2 years rolling eyes )
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to Snowheads shakeywith, Theres a good guide to waxing boards at home here in the snowboarding section of the forum.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=44438
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowdome snow is very abrasive, even 'normal' wax doesn't last long on it; pick up some Data Polar X Wax (but scrape before it cools) for skiing there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
shakeywith, Wax for sure- at home.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
narc wrote:
Snowdome snow is very abrasive, even 'normal' wax doesn't last long on it; pick up some Data Polar X Wax (but scrape before it cools) for skiing there.

Wise words Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Use a decent hydrocarbon wax in the first instance, I would avoid cheaper flouro's directly on new bases as they tend to dry out very quickly!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My new Burton ran well for two weeks before it started to look dry. Domes are very abrasive on the base.

Best waxing (other than your own) is done in the resort where they will match the temperature to the wax they apply.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, narc, if you scrape before it cools does it not strip off all the wax? I thought this was a way of 'cleaning' the base as an alternative to using a base cleaner.

(genuine curiosity - not disagreeing in any way)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the replies. My son fancies doing his own waxing & watching the videos on youtube make us think it should be manageable.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
it can easily be done at home... though i tend to do mine in the garage/ garden as scraping off the wax can be a total mess. I use my ironing board (with an old cover over the top) for support for my board.
Some boards do come pre-waxed by the factory but like many have said the indoor slopes do take it out on the bases a bit
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rogg wrote:
spyderjon, narc, if you scrape before it cools does it not strip off all the wax? I thought this was a way of 'cleaning' the base as an alternative to using a base cleaner.

I'm no wax expert but there is a balance with polarX because if it 'sets' it is like welded steel to get off (you only do this once....). It is odd stuff (and oddly brittle) but perhaps it works slightly differently.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

rogg wrote:

I'm no wax expert but there is a balance with polarX because if it 'sets' it is like welded steel to get off (you only do this once....). It is odd stuff (and oddly brittle) but perhaps it works slightly differently.

rogg, narc is right, there is a balance with polar x, and you are right also but hot scrape cleaning Imv is scraping immediately after ironing-not really giving the wax chance to cool, but with polar x and other hard waxes you want to scrape while the bases are still warm, lots of light passes rather than one or two heavy ones, if you let the bases go cold as you would with softer waxes you'll end up either spending ages scraping or if you haven't heated the wax in sufficiently it'll all scrape off like loose flakes of paint!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy