Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiwear insulation could be transformed by 'aerogels'

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A technology invented in 1931 but only now becoming viable could transform the insulation qualities of skiwear.

According to this report from ZD Net 'aerogels' provide two to ten times the thermal and acoustic insulation provided by existing foams or other competing materials. A blowtorch can be applied to one side of a sheet of the material and the other remains cool enough to touch.

Don Young, CEO of Aspen Aerogels, who are supplying Burton and the Canadian Ski Team, says "It can withstand temperatures ranging from cryogenic levels to 600 degrees Celsius. The technology and product is pretty well validated - light, fireproof, waterproof and thin."

There are many more fascinating details in the ZD Net report - well worth a read.

Anyone know any more about this stuff?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting. Sounds like it works on a similar trapping air principle to goose/duck down. Which makes me wonder how well it will stand up to being crushed and how well it will perform when wet.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno, aerogels are sort of made of foamed glass. THere's more info at http://eande.lbl.gov/ECS/Aerogels/sahist.htm

If these guys have found a way to incorporate silica aerogels then I would guess they'd be very hardwearing and entirely waterproof.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy